News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: necron 1850 want harsh review and ideas for going up to 2k  (Read 2296 times)

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
necron 1850 want harsh review and ideas for going up to 2k
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
195   overlord - ccb, mindshackle scarabs, warscythe

140   4 crypteks , voltaic staff , lightning field

195   overlord - ccb, mindshackle scarabs, warscythe

140   4 crypteks , voltaic staff , lightning field

180   5 warriors , ghost ark

185   5 immortals , night scythe

185   5 immortals , night scythe

090   annihilation barge

090   annihilation barge

090   annihilation barge

total 1850

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: necron 1850 want harsh review and ideas for going up to 2k
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:49:46 PM »
I'm far from an expert on 6th ed Necrons, but I notice some issues your list might face right from the outset.  The big one is that Reanimation Protocols don't set in if a unit is destroyed, which is a big change from earlier editions where volume of models mattered more than squad size.  Each group of 5 Warriors that falls stays down with no chance to stand up, even if their Cryptek survives (which isn't terribly likely given focused fire but that's beside the point).  The fact that each group of five is sheltering a more expensive model--at least I assume the Crypteks are running with the Warriors--means that you're losing even more points per destroyed squad. 

You have a lot of transports out there to counter-act the fragility of your Troops, but I see issues there, too.  You have a lot of Ghost Arks, but the Ghost Ark's biggest benefit compared to other transports is its ability to resurrect Warriors, and since Warrior units this size are probably going to be wiped completely or ignored, and resurrection cannot be done in excess to the original unit size (5 Warriors), the Ghost Ark is reduced to an overpriced 10-man transport surrounded by small Necron squads that never get to make Reanimation rolls.  Not to mention squads of 5 probably aren't going to pack enough punch to get rid of most enemy threats whether they're Warriors or Immortals, so rather than having loads of flexibility because it can divide its forces in so many directions, I suspect that your list will be tripping over itself trying to bring all of its separate units down on individual targets, which would be easier to do if you just had larger units, and fewer.

While you will be able to get more haywire shots onto the field and into your opponent's face with this tiny-squad/Voltaic leader strategy, specialized anti-tank probably won't serve you so well when taken in such excess.  Most enemies will have some tanks, but probably not enough to justify the sheer volume of special weaponry you're bringing to the table, and because you seem to focus on Voltaic Staffs, anyone who doesn't specialize in armor is going to bring a lot of threats onto the board that your list isn't equipped to handle.

I don't have complaints about your Annihilation Barges; taking so many of the same choice might preclude other versatile heavy support options, but there is a lot to be said for redundancy in hitting your opponent with a threat he can't get rid of.  They also help your Nightscythes with anti-flyer duties and are good for middle-of-the-road tank armor, so a great way to bust AV 10, 11 or 12.

All in all I'd suggest taking the extremity of your list down a notch by removing one of your Overlord/Royal Court teams completely, cutting down your troop choices to four units of 10 (either Warriors with Ghost Arks, Immortals with Nightscythes, or a mixture of the two) and taking the remaining points to invest in some other choices to give the list versatility against other foes you might encounter in the tournament.  The codex has quite a few to choose from, so you'll be able to select an angle of attack or defense that best suits your playing style.

(PS:  What does 'ccb' mean, next to your Overlords?)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:53:32 PM by Foxfire »

Offline Galef

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 08:29:17 AM »
CCB means Catacomb Command Barge.

I assume your Warriors will be in the Ghost arks all game.  I also assume/suggest that each Immortal unit gets 2 Crypteks each, one Lightning field per unit.

Given that, you now have 1 Cryptek per Warrior squad.  To bump this up, I would make all these Destruction teks.  That way you do not have to get so close to be effective turn 1-2.  You can use them to pop a few light transports and leave the heavier stuff to the "haywire immortals".

Another reason to decide to do this is to get 2 Solar pulses.  This will increase your Jink save on you Ghost Arks and CCB, making it very hard for your opponent to do anything before you are right on top of them.

This will make your Royal courts look like this:
180   4 crypteks , 2 voltaic staff, lightning field, 2 eldritch lance, solar pulse
180   4 crypteks , 2 voltaic staff, lightning field, 2 eldritch lance, solar pulse

For the remaining points, I would simply add more Warriors to each unit and you'll have a very good list.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
Ah, you know, it might be too early for me to be commenting on other peoples' lists; I completely forgot that the Ghost Ark is open-topped and therefore quite viable as a mobile firing battery in its own right.  If the point of the small unit sizes was to gain access to the transports and create an intimidating anti-tank/anti-infantry platform, rather than taking transports to make the small units portable, your list begins to look much more viable, and I apologize for the hasty judgment.  You won't be making many Reanimation rolls, but in light of an "embarked at all times" outlook, it seems like keeping foot-slogging infantry alive in the first place might not be high on your priority list.  That said, I might still beef up your Immortal units by reducing Cryptek numbers, but that's just me.

Offline croggy

• Loota
  • ...to burn or not to burn...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:32 AM »
hey sory for the late replies well it looks like I got my points completely fubar

this comes in at 2030 so maybe the quesrion should of been how do I save 30 points ( dunno how I got it so wrong )

so thanks for the advice and with that and some things I have learnt in battle lately I will be making a new 2k list and posting it up