News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why "The Time Machine" shouldn't work!  (Read 6800 times)

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
Why "The Time Machine" shouldn't work!
« on: March 10, 2002, 09:46:42 PM »
Ok....bear with me.....

Time Travel is in fact possible. We do it all the time the instant we move. It can be seen whentraveling long distances at high speeds [namely airplane]. It seems the faster we move, the more time speeds up. So time travel IS possible.

HOWEVER! You can only travel FOWARD into time. Not that practical I'm afraid. Let me explain my two reasons.

By traveling into the past, anything, ANYTHING you do will change the future. You may sneeze. You may blink. You may even do it just by standing there and displacing air molecules. No matter how hard you try, you WILL change the future just by existing in the past. It will probably stop you from ever creating the machine or using it. But if you never used the machine, then you could never have traveled to the past. Congradulations! You have just created a Time Paradox! Well, not for long. Because a paradox cannot exist, you and the machine will cease to exist as time corrects itself, reverting back to the mainstream timeline. People will remember you, and you will have existed, but the instant you started to travel it would be like you simply vanished. Never to be seen again.

Still not convinced?

Ever wonder why it is that one cannot travel faster than the speed of light? Well, here's my theory. Remember how the faster you, the further in time you go? Well, as you approach the speed of light you will be moving even further into the future. As you approach the limit, the days, moths, years....millenia will be flashing by like strobe lights. But then when you reach the point.......

What? What happens when you reach the point? Well, to the rest of the universe, you've just stopped existing. Simply because of one tiny reason: You can't go any faster! Theoretically, in order to go into the past, you must travel FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT! But once you reach that point, time stops! If time has stopped, then you can't be traveling any faster. If you can't travel any faster, you can't turn back time! You would emerge at the END OF TIME! Another words, you're dead, bucko!

Ok....did any of that make any sense?

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline moojaro

• The Invisible Man
  • Ancient
  • Kage Akuma
    • Eldar Online
Re:Why "The Time Machine" shouldn't work!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2002, 10:35:44 PM »
none what so ever
u might wanna dumd it down a bit
mooj,

Experiance the Nerdom

<insert super cool sig here>
come see my pix!

Cheantoa

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2002, 11:31:39 PM »
sandman, I've already exhausted all theories related to time and space to an answer... The reason time travel is not possible is becuase time does not exist. Or at least not in the way many people think of it. THINGS are always HAPPENING. The past is things that have previously happened. Once done, they are set in 'time'... The past doesn't really exist, history (however close) does though. Travel to the future is equally impossible, as those events don't exist yet. Anyone say the word alternate dimension and I'll kill you.

Offline elite Tyranid Warrior

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 12:16:05 AM »
Yes, in one world some time traveler is wrecking the world, and in another-casual

If you're talking about the movie, it's probably stupid-just like a lot of movies
I'm different than all you mutated Lictor prototypes-- The Warrior govenor

Offline Wolf Eyes Bane

• Lord of Misspelling and Illogic
  • One Must always watch out for their people
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2002, 12:59:08 AM »
If you raise the physicolpal debate on time travel, at a pace opther then the normal, and the possiblity or travling back in time, i have but one question to raise to everyone.  Is light speed possible, or once that speed is obtained does that object desigentergate? become omni present? does it run the risk of destroying everything in existance?

Time travel is a over though of notion in the realm of SciFi currently.  With our technology it is not feasable, is it possible yes, anything is possible, for all i know i can turn into a farseer over night.  Is it practilce not in the least.  Some belive that if one travels around a dence object (i.e., the sun) theroteticaly we could travel though time (Star Treck 4 I belive) or going though a blakc hole might zap us back in time, we can't tell, we simply don't know.  Can we possibly alter the time space continuam possibly.  Can other being do it?  Well that all comes down to how many demisions we beilve that we are, techinaly speacking we are 4th dimesion beings, we occupy volume and TRAVEL though time, though we travel at the speed that everything else does.  A true 4th dimesional being, according to some theories can simplay walk though time go forward and back, almost like some one can with a VCR tape, oh i want to go back now forward.  There is more to this world that man's science can ever understand, such as the soul, and spirts.  Do they exist? according to some yes, others no.  Do they not exist because scince says so?  I know I have a soul, but something as physcophical as that says that I do, but physics says no because they can not put it into a mathmatecail equation.  Our scince is based on everything physical and americans are the worse among all, for we do not belive in pysic powers.  Not widely belived most other countries belive in them, and have witnessed them.  They can not explain it but they know they exist.  an amercian scitetis would say something along the lines that there is no mathematical or logcal explation so hence it does not exist.

We only use at most 10% of our brains and that is on the ubber genous level.  I know I am not that high up there, but what if i could use 15%, maybe even 20% of my brain?  I might be able to see things that normal people can't, like auras or spirts.  We can not truely understand all that is out there till we can truely understand ourselves and be able to use our own bodies to a 100% of the copasity.
Me Fail English that umpossible.
Yes my spelling is horrid and my grammer can falter at times.
There are 11 types of people in the world. Thoose who can read binary and thoose who cant and thoose who dont understand this.

Offline Farseer_Nimliiost

• Geek of Geekyness
  • War is my master, Death my mistress
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2002, 01:07:24 AM »
actuly you theroriticly can travle into the past, how its done id have no idea!!
but you cant change the past because anything u do in the past, was already part of the past anyway, example: you go back in time and assasinate JFK, well as we know thats already part of our history so ur not really changeing the past
and dont be thinking u could go back in time and kill your dad or anything cuz that wouldnt work, otherwise you wouldnt have been born in the first place, u couldnt have built a time mechine and gone back in time to kill ur dad,
so to simply put it you can go back in time and do whatever u want to do because u cant do anything to alter the time line!!!!! because u were always part of the past
your understanding is not required mon-keigh, merely your surrender...

Cheantoa

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2002, 01:15:41 AM »
Note: People have been clocked using 28% of their brain. Rare, and difficult, but possible.

Cheantoa

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2002, 01:18:02 AM »
Farseer_Nimliiost

Just read your post. Theoretically, it could only happen IF alternate dimensions existed. WHICH THEY DONT I TELL YOU!!!!!

• Geek of Geekyness
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2002, 01:18:42 AM »
lol yeah people dont acutly use all of theyre brains no matter how smart u may be!

Cheantoa

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2002, 01:23:25 AM »
If we used 100% of our brain, we would be... perfect. We wouldn't need to think. Every possibility would already have occured to us at the speed it takes an electric current to jump. We'd even be prescient to an extent.

• Geek of Geekyness
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2002, 01:27:50 AM »
yeah or something like that, they should do something like that get somebody to use all of their brain, that would be very inttersting to see

Offline Wolf Eyes Bane

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2002, 01:29:41 AM »
if we started to use more of our brain there is a possibilty that we might evolve, leading us to the possibility to never truely havign that ability to use it all.
There are 11 types of people in the world. Thoose who can read binary and thoose who cant and thoose who dont understand this.

Cheantoa

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2002, 01:29:50 AM »
They'd become like the Chaos demon Tzeentch. Calculating the possibilities, and choosing the path to the result you want. Everyone's your puppet. Creepy. But cool...

Offline Wolf Eyes Bane

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2002, 01:34:56 AM »
but if we were all like that how would we controll some one else?  I mean we would be able to see it coming and confront it.  if that happened it would be total choas and war with a high chance of pariona setting in

• Geek of Geekyness
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2002, 01:36:59 AM »
lol yeah its really freeky to think what we could do with all our brain power
but anyway back to time travel, i like that topic, anybody ever played the journyman project series, burryed in time and those games?? they were a really good depiction of time travel

Offline Lord Calamir

• Member of the Council of Ulthwe
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2002, 05:09:26 AM »
@Cheantoa: What makes you so sure alternate dimensions don't exist? According to the quantum theory it is even possible that there's an infinite number of parallel universes, each of which has its own history...
All hail Eldrad, for he shall safely guide us through the darkness until a new morning dawns.

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2002, 09:31:01 AM »
In a infinite other universes, I am a rich and incredibly handsome guy who just happens to be the President of the United Earth.....

Supposedly...we're traveling into the future just by living....

There IS, however, one possible way you can go back in time. Still not very practical. Basically: Time's End. This theory is based on the Big Crunch Theory [real name!]. It says that time is not constant. That time is slowing down steadily. And then at one point, time shall stop. And at that moment, everything shall cease. There shall be no more advancing into the future, no more exploraion of consciousness.

....then, time will begin to fall backward. Dead people will burst out of the ground, rain will fall up, blackholes will expand into suns, shattered glass will rise up into cups....the universe will fall in and everything is crushed into a single point of infinite mass.....and then time starts moving normally once more. The cycle is repeated....

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2002, 09:34:18 AM »
Thought that they had actually found the value of Hubble's Constant, i.e. such that there is going to be no Big Crunch...

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2002, 09:49:40 AM »
My wife MUST be able to use a VERY high percentage of her braincapacity , because she is able to control me...

On another note, I have decided to sub-lease the parts of my brain that I am not using, thus increasing the intelligence of others, while supplementing my 401K...

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

• Geek of Geekyness
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2002, 11:01:30 AM »
lol it is true women can control men pretty easly for some reason, mabey they really do use more of their brain??