News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rogue Trader-esque Warbands and Character Conversions, and anything else I fancy  (Read 48643 times)

Online Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Thanks a ton man :) I'm flattered! Even if I think it's patently untrue ;) we've got a real wealth of talent here, yourself included!

Latest messing about :) I usually find I've got enough bits knocking around to make 80% of half a dozen ideas I have, and then I have to order bits for the rest. What that tends to mean is there's quite a while of nothing and then everything comes at once when the bits order arrives :) this one's been waiting for ages!

What's that boy? Haven't you seen a Charlemagne before?

(Image removed from quote.)

That!  That's how rough riders should look like!  8)  Pay attention Gee Dubya!

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynneadwraith!
Have been looking back at your mechanized lizard men... Niiiiice!
You have an amazing, unique mind, mate. Reckon you'd be a hoot to have a scotch or two with. Maybe one day, hey... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks Cap ;) glad you like him. I feel like there's a ton of potential for some really kickass/creepy/alien gene-crafted bionically enhanced chargers for Rough Riders. The human form may be 'holy' but nothing's stopping you from making some monstrous gene-crafted barded-rhino to sit on top of ;) the Krieg Rough Riders from FW are really nice examples of this, but should be the norm rather than the exception...

Thanks Saim Dann! You flatter me ;)

Scotch or two? Now you're talking ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Love the lizards, especially the clawed one. Can picture their hunched backs flicker between dunes, when they scatter away from a scavenged site, so natural in pretending to be cowardly...  ;)
Those narratives...   :D
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks dude :) glad you like them!

I wonder how far the Scalies will get before people start taking them seriously...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Well it's been a while since I last did something non-eldar, but the upcoming Iron Sleet invitational is too tempting to pass by. Enter The Ravens stage left:

'pon the ruin'd moon of Hyllas, spake the legionary Pallas,
"Cast thou hence from in the shadows, lest I smite thee duly, or-
speak thy name if Thorne or craven.", 'pon which from its darkened haven
Stepped a grim and tattered raven wand'ring from the Nightly shore
"Tell me what thy wretched name is 'mongst this pale and icy hoar”
Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Don't recognize most of the part to this guy, (Is that a Kroot head?). He's looking to your usual standard though. Keen to see what paints you put on him... Be well!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Yeah he's a bit of a nonstandard mishmash of bits. Body from a Chaos Cultist, head's 50/50 Sicarian and Kroot and an Ungor spear and shield.

The invitational asks for 5 models so need to come up with ideas for more :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
"We spy thine ships by moonfall's aft, thy manifold and blackened craft
Loiter round the Rout like stormclouds, scavengers like crows of yore.
Chatter caw and bicker hasten. Ears and eyes and spies and graven-
ones the Wolves do brand 'Valravn', we have spied thine ilk before.
By what hubris think thine arms might stand afore the might of Thorne?
Speak no more of 'nevermore'."

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Hey Ynnead, I'm actually having a hard time making out what this dude is! It looks cool but not sure what I'm looking at! Can we get some brighter pics? lol
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Well! I've got this:

They're gribbly little scavenger techno-barbarians :)

Basically one of the main guys in the Thorn Moons Crusade has probably the most awesome Space Wolf army I've seen, which has been a real inspiration for me. Here's one of his kickass models:

The Iron Sleet invitational is about the human 'regiments' that have mustered on either side of the conflict.

My take on that is as a fleet of 'crows' that loiter around the Space Wolves fleet, scavenging from battlefields the Wolves have swept through. (That's the gribbly little guy peering under the wreckage for widgets and doodads).

However, like Odin's Ravens they act as spies of sorts so the Wolves tolerate them. They've got a scavenger's curiosity, and the cawing chatter between their ships alerts them to points of interest and enemy defences and the like...

So yeah! That's the plan :)

Offline Saim-Dann

G'day Ynnead!
Looking good and the read was a hoot. My Doggies would eat them though. Bwahaha!... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha I'm sure they would if they caught them ;)

That's actually a little thing I want to work in with their backstory. There's a piece of Danish folklore called a 'Valravn', which is a raven that feasts on the dead of battlefields and becomes a sort of crow-daemon thing that can shapeshift into the form of a human.

So, I thought it would be a neat idea to work in some of the themes you get in cannibalistic cultures (which also neatly links with the Kroot bits). The idea being that there's a legend going round the Kearls of the Wolves (their mortal servants) that if they leave their dead on the battlefield for these guys to find that they'll eat them.

Whether it's true or not I can't say...but there is one of them coming that's got a suspiciously human-shaped thigh of meat he's carrying around ;)

Offline Saim-Dann

Niiiiice!
Can't wait for that one. Your imagination is something else, Ynnead... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
Ah ok! Cool! Yeah they look pretty sweet. Some Tzaangor heads might look sweet too. Those Space Wolves look amazing... I always loved their Pre-Heresy scheme. In fact I prefer the pre-heresy scheme to all the Marines. Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Imperial Fists and Sons of Horus most of all.

Cool stuff bud keep it up!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Yeah as a rule I definitely prefer pre-Heresy schemes. I think the only one I prefer the newer scheme is Dark Angels. Tan on dark green is just an excellent combo :)

I've actually got a bunch of Tzaangor heads spare,but they're a little out of scale for these guys. I am planning to give them a try as a sort of head-dress though. Will see how that goes!

They are dead fun to make though ;)

The raven's head did tilt and twist and quizzically it viewed him hence
Yet Pallas stayed his mighty blade, confusion gripping soul and more
"Wherefore art thou masters brave then? Tombstones 'pon which names engraven."
Yet unflinching stood it's brazen gaze that burnt through armoured core 
"Hydra's heads shall reign supreme from dust to dust and Throne to Thorne."
Quoth the raven 'Nevermore."

Definitely been having fun making little scavengers ;)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 05:59:38 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

Looking good, Ynnead!
Nice touch with the bone out of the hand. He's got a, "Is this yours?", look about him.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Thanks man :) now you've got me wanting to make am arm-less Scion as the other half to this diorama (although I'd more imagined him stumbling across the arm on a wartorn battlefield...the rest of the body being AWOL) ;)

As for the rest of my little gribbly crows...there's rather more of them now than I'd intended...

They're just too fun to make ;) still have 2 or 3 ideas I want to try out so I'll probably end up with 10 or so. That does give me the opportunity to cherry-pick the 5 best ones for the Invitational. If I can work out how to embed polls maybe you guys can help me pick which ones you like best :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
I dont know what it is... but I having a super hard picking out the details on these guys! I want to comment but having a hard time seeing them! I think I'll wait to pass judgement till you get some color on them. Sorry bud!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Haha I think you're going to be sorely disappointed if you're expecting colour on these guys! They are crows after all ;)

I have taken on board what you were saying about the creaturecore figures though, and how you can use a real variety of colours to build up a unified palette. So,I plan to use a variety of dark blues, greens and browns to build up a palette that looks black without actually using any actual black at all :)

Contrast that with some pallid skintones and little silver geegaws and red lights and I should be done :)

Shall definitely get some better lit photos though ;)