News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warriors and Boneswords  (Read 985 times)

Offline Fealhach

• Armies: CWE, DE, IG, SoB and Crimson Fists
Warriors and Boneswords
« on: April 17, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
This has probably been discussed numerous times before but, since they're now available mail order, I thought I'd ask. I haven't risked fielding Warriors with the amount of missile launchers out there which is a shame, but I thought I'd try them out anyway! They're in a bit of a state at the moment with a mix of Devourers and Deathspitters and some missing ScyTals, so I thought they could do with a refit.

I'd like to tool them up to thin out large squads with some shooting and boneswords to take down tough opponents my gribblies find too chewy. So for jack-of-all-trades squads, what's the most effective? Twin BS or BS/LW?

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
Re: Warriors and Boneswords
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
I don't understand why everyone is so afraid of missiles+ with Warriors.  If you think about our 4T warriors, and look at the 4+, 3W as more of an "organic" 2-3+, then it really doesn't become an issue.  Small arms fire has similar resilience like the Terminator, with the same vulnerability to big guns. 

Also, IF they are shooting missiles+ at your warriors and you have a Prime in the squad, he can merrily eat a few before you lose anything at all.  Heck, purchase him as an 80 point upgrade to your warrior squad to add WS,BS and some resilience to s8-9, if it is really an issue.

The most obvious is for last.  If they shoot them at my warriors, my Trygons, Tyrants, Tervigons, Tyrannofex.... ETC is merrily getting closer untouched.  IF they have enough of them to shoot my big bugs and my Warriors I'm probably in bad shape anyways..

I find that although expensive I do like Lashwhip Sword+Death for the general support squad.  Double Swords is alright for characters and multiwounders but you said you were after general.  Just remember that they are slow, and sometimes don't see combat.  IF you want to keep them cheaper, rending claws/deathspitters isn't bad either, expanding the opponents to light vehicles but limiting the troop killing.

Personally I prefer lash sword because it is unique to the warriors, and I think that I am going to get wings for my Warriors, because they are SLOW.  I want them in combat, wings seem like my solution.  It also frees up another Troop slot for my usually full troop.
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
Re: Warriors and Boneswords
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 12:11:51 AM »
This has probably been discussed numerous times before but, since they're now available mail order, I thought I'd ask. I haven't risked fielding Warriors with the amount of missile launchers out there which is a shame, but I thought I'd try them out anyway! They're in a bit of a state at the moment with a mix of Devourers and Deathspitters and some missing ScyTals, so I thought they could do with a refit.

My take on a nid list is CC all the way :)
The only ranged units in my list are Zoans and the odd Carni/Tyranno with template weaponry (going for the Starship Troopers spray bug idea)

Warriors are dedicated CC units in my lists and as such need the protection provided by Venomthropes (seeing as I do not need to fill the Elite slots with Hiveguard  ::) )

As such, between cover and Venoms, Missile Launchers and other S8 weaponry hasn't been much of a problem. Especially with a screen of Hormies in front of the warriors (cheep no upgrades for the screen hormies)

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!