News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau Empire 2000 PTS (8th Codex)  (Read 3023 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Tau Empire 2000 PTS (8th Codex)
« on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
Hi guys, so the new codex for Tau Empire is out and I figured it is time for a new list. So far I have acquired the Start Collecting Box and a Pathfinder Team, so suggestions on unit replacements or configurations, or anything you could think of, I am open too.

Sept:
T'au or Vior'la

HQ:
Cadre Fireblade: Markerlight, P. Grenades, Pulse Rifle

Commander in XV86 Coldstar Battlesuit: 2x Fusion Plaster, Multi-Tracker, Shield Generator, Velocity Tracker

Elites:

XV104 Riptide BS: 2x Plasma Rifles, Heavy Burst Cannon, Early Warning Override, Target Lock

XV104 Riptide BS: 2x Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, Early Warning Override, Target lock

Troops:

Strike Team: 9x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifle, Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifle, P. Grenades

Strike Team: 9x Fire Warriors w/ Pulse Rifle, Shas'ui w/ Pulse Rifle, P. Grenades

Fast Attack:

Pathfinder Team: 6x Pathfinders, Shas'ui, 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifles, Pulse Accelerator Drone

TY7 Devilfish Transport w/ SMS

Pathfinder Team: 6x Pathfinders, Shas'ui, 3x Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifles, Pulse-Accelerator Drone

TY7 Devilfish Transport w/ SMS

Super Heavy Auxiliary Detachment:

KV128 Stormsurge: 2x Flamer, Cluster Rocket system, 4x Destroyer missile, Early Warning Override, Velocity Tracker, Pulse Driver Cannon, Shield Generator, 2x SMS

1996/2000

NOTE: I created this list through battlescribe, I think they are still doing checks on the Tau Empire update, so there might be some inaccuracies. As for the current list, I'm thinking about trying to free more points to change the HBC to another Ion-Accelerator, but I also kind of want a bit heavier anti-infantry punch on one of the Riptides. Also there is a notable lack of a commander, but I am open to trying to squeeze one in, so suggestions would be great!

Tell me what you think!
« Last Edit: April 1, 2018, 08:29:09 PM by MyenTal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Tau Empire 2000 PTS (8th Codex)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 07:12:39 AM »
Have Ethereals gotten better? Because if they're anything like they are in the index,I don't think they're especially worth it. Certainly don't pay for an honor blade, at any rate.

A Commander over an Ethereal any day. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:31:54 PM »
They haven't. If you really want an Ethereal take Aun'va. He's twice the price but then you can at least make fun of him for already being dead.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, sorry for the late response!

I managed to exchange the Ethereal for a Coldstar Battlesuit Commander and added in some Pulse-Accelerator Drones to the Pathfinder Teams. Changes made to the list above!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
You'll definitely get more bang for your buck with the commander. As much as it pains me to say it, are the gun drones on the commander worth the cost? Personally, I'd also ditch the multi-trackers on the Riptides and replace them with early warning overrides to put a little excitement in the day of anyone doing repositioning shenanigans.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 12:06:54 PM »
You'll definitely get more bang for your buck with the commander. As much as it pains me to say it, are the gun drones on the commander worth the cost? Personally, I'd also ditch the multi-trackers on the Riptides and replace them with early warning overrides to put a little excitement in the day of anyone doing repositioning shenanigans.

Hmm, you make good points. I dropped the Drones. Also, I didn't read the Multi-tracker rule well enough. Didn't realize you needed to fire all of your weapons at the same target, which means I'll probably won't use it as much I intended to. I dropped the M-Ts on all suits, added in Early warning overrides to the Riptides and then to the stormsurge with a velocity tracker to fill out the points.

It kind of feels strange to have a commander suit with no Bodyguard or drones to protect him, but I guess the Coldstar would be too fast for them anyway ;).

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 01:24:03 PM »
The change in the drone rules mean they wouldn't have done much for the commander, even one in an XV8. A screen of two just isn't that much of a going concern.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: April 1, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Just realized that I forgot to omit one of the five fire warrior teams to keep under points. So how do you guys feel about the Sept World Rules? I like both T'au and Vior'la, but I'm leaning toward Vior'la for the Academy Luminary warlord trait.

That being said, Sa'cea is my favorite color scheme. I think they're more geared toward stealth now, but I loved their earlier lore depicting them as veterans of urban combat. Their rules didn't really stick out to me as a play style I wanted though.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 1, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
I'm a fan of T'au as prior experience showed having everyone in my face sooner or later. Nice to thin the ranks on the way in.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: April 1, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
Agreed, that T'au ability is really good against encroaching forces. I think the Vior'la trait probably isn't as good if you're moving your fire warriors w/ pulse rifles forward, but could be handy on the feigned-offensive-then-sudden-retreat kind of maneuver. Like in waves or something. Maybe, I'm not experienced enough to know certainly lol.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 1, 2018, 09:15:53 PM »
Give them a try and see what feels right for your opponents and own play style.
Drink
Knights Tippler