News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rising Prices Effect or No  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Eadartri

• Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life
Rising Prices Effect or No
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:19:54 PM »
Readers,

Have rising prices affected your play or not? Do you look at Warhammer 40,000 more as a skirmish game than a battle game or does it not matter?

I can say that prices have not only made the game prohibitive as a battle game but I am wondering if I am able to play it or not at all. Rules over $50? Codices around that? Where is the incentive?

I enjoyed the Medusa V campaign. I had a lot of fun playing it.

It had been suggested to me by a seasoned player: Buy what you want to paint. I think it is a good rule of thumb. What are your thoughts on these things? Thanks. I am not saying that prices are inappropriate. I am wondering if they are a concern of yours.

Under Construction:

SFCampaign.wordpres s.com

Eldar Unite! War Calls! Descend upon Medusa V!

Online Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Rising Prices Effect or No
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:00 PM »
The prices are a concern yes.  Everything is going up and continuing to do so.  But I've always found it worth the cost in the end from a modeling and collecting perspective.  Putting limits on yourself like only buying what you want to paint or sticking to one army can help mediate the costs though.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:08:39 AM »
The cost is prohibitive for me, yes.  It's not just that the hobby is too expensive relative to my earnings, it's also that there has been such a quick change from sixth to seventh edition that I found that I could no longer justify spending such a large amount of money, in relative terms, in such a short time period.  It also didn't help that read through the new rules put me off straight away, as I didn't, and still don't, like the direction in which they have been taken.

If you like the rules and play regularly, especially with a good group of friends, then this would be your incentive.  Certainly that was my incentive when I was younger.  All my friends have long since moved on though, and the older I get the more other things become more important than wargaming.

Painting can be an incentive, but only if you like that aspect of the hobby.  I'd rather watch other people paint myself.  I was never any good or very interested in painting.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
Its not really a problem for me. I play only one army, and spent a long time deciding on how I wanted to build it (almost all of 5th ed) and since its very effective, matches my play style, and looks good on the tabletop I don't feel like I'm chasing the meta and having to buy new units just to keep up.

I actually feel like you get tremendous bang for your buck with the kits and especially the books. I've kitbashed my entire army on spare bits and 10 dollar sprues off ebay and still have loads extra for terrain and what not so I've always got stuff just lying around waiting for fun implementation into various projects.

I'm also a GIGANTIC fan of the campaign books by both GW and FW. I'm dying to play the Valedor Campaign (my god those apocalypse formations are crazy for the Hemlocks and Revenants) and those games allow you to play with fun units and combinations that rarely see play in pickup games but are VERY important for the campaigns.

Perfect example is game 1 of the Imperial Armor 11 where the Guard player is manning a lonely outpost and is allowed only 2 tanks (but 6 free aegis defense lines which are super easy model up from scratch BTW). Those old heavy weapons teams immediately become very important.

Stuff like that keeps me invested. I've got something to plan for the future picking up choice units every once and awhile or saving for a big unit for FW while I continue to rock my standard force in pickup games requiring no purchases at all. One kit a month at 30-40 bucks is really sweat and saving up for 100+ FW once a year is nothing. Pick up a couple of books for campaigns and whatnot and you have weeks and weeks of gaming and hobbying. From where I sit, I'm certainly not being priced out. But I'm from the old school where people play one army, maybe 2 so I'm probably in the minority.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 08:13:38 AM »
The amount of time it generally takes me to accomplish anything makes it largely an unnoticed expense, even with rising prices. I think i've spent $200 in the last year on Warhammer, and i'm still backlogged with 10k+ pts of Eldar, 10k Chaos and 3000 High Elves...

If you're going out and buying an entire army in one go, the price can be prohibitive, but as modelling and painting goes... I've never found it that bad. Particularly since i never have time to play anymore, that's all i really do anyway.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Online Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
I don't have many chances to play anymore either, as all my friends have moved on as well.  It's a shame really.  He had many good times doing the hobby.  I keep wondering if I should move on as well.  :P

The kits might be expensive these days but they are also vastly improved over what they had in the past.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »
My local group is very proxy-friendly. As a result, the high costs don't impact me as heavily.  Want to run wraithguard but lack the models? Just use those terminators.  Want to run grotesques?  Their model gets samey, so I'm painting up various Reaper minis as grots. Almost all of my vehicles are papercrafted. I'm at the point where I'd like to start getting "proper" models instead, but I can't justify spending ~$200 just because my dark eldar require transports to be effective.

I like to joke my $2 worth of paper are worth $200 worth of models.

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
Here is where I am at. It is going to take me longer to purchase the models I want and therefore longer to have them game ready. I am ok with this if the sculptor is getting paid. But it does mean I am going to field smaller armies.

I had suggested to someone to decide how much one is going to spend on this or that and save, that one would find that he had more money than he would know what to do with. I think this is true. If anything one will make more meaningful purchases.

I think it is also true that a gaming group provides a great incentive. And, such incentive can not be quantified. I would have liked to have seen the gaming group database retained but perhaps it was not possible. I would like to see another online campaign and perhaps we will see one.
Under Construction:

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:09:51 PM »
Prices have never really bothered me overly. There hasn't actually been an annual price rise in 3 years now- the only increases being the odd £1 here and there when a box gets updated to better quality sculpts with more choice and bits. I was more than happy to pay £1 more for the new Tactical squad for example.
Plus pretty much any unit that converts from metal or Finecast into plastic gets cheaper. All good!

I get use out of everything I buy, and maybe now and then I have to save a little for something big, but hey, I've bought 3 new armies and updated an existing army since September, so I've always got something to work on or play with, even if I can't afford something new; and I play at least one game every week! :D

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
I'm with most people here: I've built up a ton of armies over the years by just spending about $40-$50 a month, which is about all you need. As the prices go up, the speed at which I build armies goes down (that and time, because I barely have the time these days).

Then again, I just peeked at what they're asking for the new Death Jester--$23 for a clampack? WHAAAA?!  :o

Sorry, but even to my cost-insensitive eyes, that seems extreme. That's one infantry model that costs almost as much as some whole units! That's crazy!

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »
Prices never bothered me as I have been stable enough to get something if I needed it.  However the rules have totally turned me off of GW.  It has become the flavor of the month club game.  I have been playing Flames of War since October and havent even touched my Orks or AM.  Most of the folks in my club have also moved on to other dystems due to the rules.  My LGS has 9 tables, used to be you had to wait for a GW game to end to get one.  Now the few remaining GW players wait to get one. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 07:29:19 PM »
I'm with most people here: I've built up a ton of armies over the years by just spending about $40-$50 a month, which is about all you need. As the prices go up, the speed at which I build armies goes down (that and time, because I barely have the time these days).

Then again, I just peeked at what they're asking for the new Death Jester--$23 for a clampack? WHAAAA?!  :o

Sorry, but even to my cost-insensitive eyes, that seems extreme. That's one infantry model that costs almost as much as some whole units! That's crazy!

I feel you about the death jester.  If you've picked up the new harlequin kit, you may have noticed that you get a spare "coat" and a mask that resembles that of the death jester. I'm trying to work out a way to convert a dj with these bits.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
Readers,

Have rising prices affected your play or not? Do you look at Warhammer 40,000 more as a skirmish game than a battle game or does it not matter?

The price has definitely affected me but also the frenetic release scedule is to blame for the change in my buying habits. I used to be one of those people that bought every Codex and I would also buy models that I liked for one of the four armies that I have started. Additionally I would also buy box sets and even some of the starter sets on a fairly regular basis. The price of the Codicies has put a stop to my collecting and the frantic and limited release rate has put a stop to the way I buy boxed sets.
The overall effect of this is that I now feel less attached to 40k than I used to. Also the introduction of Super Heavies, dataslates, supplements & formations has not only made me think about whether or not 40k is a game I want to play but they have made 40K prohibitively expensive to collect.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Online Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:37:42 PM »
I don't know how to feel about the price of the new plastic character models.  On the one hand they are very nice sculpts and plastic is the best, but anything over a tenner for a single standard base model feels like a lot.  However, like a sucker I'll keep buying them.  :P

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
I don't know how to feel about the price of the new plastic character models.  On the one hand they are very nice sculpts and plastic is the best, but anything over a tenner for a single standard base model feels like a lot.  However, like a sucker I'll keep buying them.  :P

It does seem a lot, but at least I know I only need to buy one of each ever! (which is also why they're priced highly...)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 06:24:32 PM »
Well from my students with no income point of view the price of one box of standard dude, ~~33 € here in france, i have to say if i wanted to buy something it would take me 4 to 6 month to get enought money >< then again it is really cool to have this new box and things and i love the assembling i have to do.
I'm not much of a painter, I don't  have the patience nessecary to clean all my model and paint them... and i still want to put them on the table. I mean i like the game part more than the modelism part even thought i like the collection part. So to me i always have a bad time buying new stuff because of the work i need to get them ready. Seeing the price go does annoy me a fair bit with this. And now as the cherry on top, they started creating box made ou of resine where there is nothing to make, to assemble (thinking about warp spider). They are taking away the part i'm having fun with :/ and i have a hard time understanding how you guy's  can say that the quality went up when like half the mini i got with this new resine have bubble destroying some of the mini's details... i don't know much about the past be i had some other model not gw one where there never was any bubble.

That said yes rising price afect how much i buy but that's because i don't have much money for it^^. Yet right know my real no buy reason is i need tonpaint everything i have before bying something else! I have 3 guy's painted in my whole army >< need to get into it really
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Nemo vas Varya

• Ork Yoof
  • Keelah se'lai
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Eldar, Dark Angels, and High Elves
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
I have backed off, even switched over to War Machine. I have a couple of pet projects I want to complete, but after I finish my Wood Elf army, I am probably done with GW... and I am not even sure I am going to finish the Wood Elves.

By the way, I am meh about warmachine, I switched over because I wanted to play again. In my area, 40k is now the providence of the wealthy as every game has the super builds with the super units, spammed to the extreme, and my lists that were great in 6th and 5th just can not compete with the rising tide of dollarhammer, and fantasy got its death blow in my area with End Times. Where most of the world seems to love it, End Times killed it here.

So Star Wars and Warmachine it is.
Tali: Shepard! Want a drink?

Shepard: So… how are you getting drunk, anyway?

Tali: Very carefully. Turian brandy… tripled filtered and introduced into the suit through this… emergency induction port.

Shepard: That’s a straw, Tali.

Tali: Emergency. Induction. Port.

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #17 on: March 3, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »
/** I'm re-editing this to bring it more in line with my current opinion :) **/ Will post it again later
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 01:57:04 PM by Radec »

Offline Eadartri

« Reply #18 on: March 3, 2015, 06:03:37 PM »
How high prices are good:

(I will qualify by saying the descriptive "high" is a relative term.)

1. High prices allow for a company to ensure that sculptors/artists are properly paid. This is an important point. The creative and skilled artisan ought be rewarded. While high prices do not guarantee right compensation, such prices grant greater room to do so.

2. High prices support your local gaming store. That is, if the profit margin is sufficient, a higher priced item will mean more useful revenue for your store than a lower priced item. In turn, this will benefit you.

3. High prices promote competition. Another company might do something better or provide something more inexpensive. Let the company do it. It will further the miniature gaming hobby. Steel sharpens steel.

4. High prices encourage the exploration of alternatives. Such exploration is neutral in itself, as one may find something more, or less, favorable.

Under Construction:

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #19 on: March 3, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »
I won't argue with you, Radec, *particularly* about the quality of the models. GW models are by far the best kits with the best options, the greatest ease (and opportunity) for conversion, the best detail, etc.

I've looked at other ranges for years, bought a few non-GW kits from various games from time to time, and GW models are generally superior (barring a few ugly-ass kits still knocking around from the 1990s).

All that said, the cost is relatively high and getting higher, which makes is a slower game to build (or at least it seems that way). I'll take your word for it about Infinity and Warmachine and so on regarding entry cost--I never fully figured that out, myself.