News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scourges, how to equip them?  (Read 1890 times)

Offline themasterrabbbit

• pulse rifle spam = pure win
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Eldar, Dark Angels
Scourges, how to equip them?
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:44:51 AM »
alongside 9 reavers (armed with cluster caltrops) I'm thinking of using 2 squads of 5 scourges. my only problem is i've had lots of confusing advice about how to use them. some people swear that they're best as anti-infantry reconisance, or people using them as haywire blasters to take advantage of hull points. i run venom spam warrior squads in my troops, so i think i should dedicate them anti-tank, but which is more reliable, haywire, blaster or heat lance?
This is a peace signature. For friendlier, more pleasant boards, copy this into you signature and keep a running tally at the bottom of how many other people you see with this signature.

tally: 2

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: Scourges, how to equip them?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:10:01 AM »
Depends how you want to play...

Haywire blaster is cheapest, has the longest range and glances all AVs 87% of the time, making it the most reliable for stripping hull points.  Not particularly effective against heavy infantry though, if you want to re-role.

Heat Lance is a bit more expensive, and outside melta range it glances AV10 on a 4 and AV12+ on 6s.  If you take the risk of getting close you will start penning everything most of the time and get that bonus on the damage table to try to finish them off.  The AP also gives us something that will threaten terminators, and that can be done at max range.

A blaster is more expensive again, shorter range (but not as short as melta range), but the higher strength will give you a better chance of penning outside melta range.  Again, effective against heavy infantry (but you have to get *so* close!) and better against high toughness.

Offline Sydonia

• War calls.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
For me, the DE have an abundance of anti infantry in most squads.  Haywire may be the most effective anti tank in the game in terms of reliability. I always go with 2 Haywire blasters. It allows you to stay at range, and still can be used on small squads of infantry in a pinch.

Offline themasterrabbbit

• pulse rifle spam = pure win
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Eldar, Dark Angels
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
I think i'll go for haywire so i can get some more missiles on my voidraven. thanks for the advice!
This is a peace signature. For friendlier, more pleasant boards, copy this into you signature and keep a running tally at the bottom of how many other people you see with this signature.

tally: 2