News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Corsair List w Eldar allies  (Read 1471 times)

Offline pringles978

1850 Corsair List w Eldar allies
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
Hi guys,

Theres a new club started in my area and I've been told the standard of 40k gaming they want is "fairly competitive"

With that in mind, ive put together the following list and would appreciate some c/c to see if i have missed anything.

Prince                   1   HQ   2x Fusion Pistol, Jetpack   140

Voidstorm Squad   6   EL   Haywire Grenades, 2x Fusion Gun   116

Corsairs                   5   TR   Shuricannon, Venom    100
Corsairs                   5   TR   Shuricannon, Venom    100
Corsairs                   5   TR   Jet Packs, Missile Launcher, Fusion Gun, Felarch w Haywire   115
Corsairs                   5   TR   Jet Packs, Missile Launcher, Fusion Gun, Felarch w Haywire   115
Wasp                   1   TR   2x Scatter Laser   85
Wasp                   1   TR   2x Scatter Laser   85

Hornet                   1   FA   Pulse Lasers, Holo Field   95

Eldar            

Autarch                   1   HQ   Jetbike, Lance, Mantle, Fusion Gun   145

Dire Avengers           5   TR   Wave Serpent w TLSL, Chincannon, Holo Fields   210
Dire Avengers           5   TR   Wave Serpent w TLSL, Chincannon, Holo Fields   210

Nightwing             1   FA                                                                              145

1851

The plan is to start the Serpents, Hornets and Autarch on the board, and deep strike the rest of the army. One concern I have is the single flier, Im tempted to drop the wave serpents for 2 min units of jetbikes for scoring and take a second Nightwing and another hornet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:19:36 AM by pringles978 »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: 1850 Corsair List w Eldar allies
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »
This list looks really good to me. You have scoring galore, a TON of 36" Str 6 shooting, and a decent mix of anti-tank scattered across the infantry. I'll tell ya though that Nightwing and the Hornets are going to be SUPER important. I wouldn't drop that Nightwing for anything. In 14 games mine has never died and killed every flyer its ever faced (including 2 Vendettas and a Vulture in one game) and taken out riptides, tanks etc. countless times.

Also I would definitely not start the Hornets on the board. Outflanking with acute senses is absolutely BRUTAL on your opponent. With all your deepstrikers I'd use the Hornets to spearhead a flank attack in every game... its a killer tactic I use in every game it and it usually serves as the knockout blow .

I'd have the wasps, serpents and venoms on the board. Its so easy to hide Walkers and Venoms out of LOS, and with only 2 serpents they should be easily hidden as well. I'd want to get those Venoms, Serpents, and Wasps pumping out fire as soon as possible... and you amp up the pressure in the later rounds when the hornets and deepstrikers arrive.

Anyway very good list.... so nice to see the actual Corsair rules used to make a competitive force. Whatever you choose to do let us know how it works!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:03:10 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
Seems a good list to me.

Some fairly minor points:
- I don't think you can give the Prince 2 x fusion pistols (nd not sure what benefit he'd get from it anyway?)
- I'm not sure the felarchs are worth the points, just for a single haywire grenade per squad.
- I'd give the WASPs scatter / EML or even double EML
-Agree with cavalier that the Hornets really should start in reserve. The EMLs will help ensure your Wasps can be firing from turn 1, and gives you a bit of anti-tank in the early turns.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline pringles978

« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2015, 02:48:01 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

Cavalier: I wasthinking of starting the hornets on the board as they have the range and speed to cause some damage T1, but i'll give them a try in reserve. I wanted to DS the Wasps and venoms so I could get some rear armour shots on vehicles with all that str 6, but I think a fair bit of playtesting is in order. Is it worth dropping some stuff for a second Nightwing? With the corsair FOC and the Eldar allies, I get an effective 5 fast attack choices to play with for Hornets and Nightwings so I have the space, if not the points.

And thanks for the inspiration from your Corsair army, consider most of your ideas stolen, lol ;)

Volatilegaz: The twin fusion pistols allow me to fire both with the gunslinger rules. I had the choice of spending a fortune on upgrades to make the prince almost viable in CC, or just take him barebones. this way I get a fairly cheap and effective way to cause some damage, plus its fluffy as the army is dragon themed. Its not ideal, but he'll do for now until the rules are updated.

The HWG on the felarch is just there to add an extra "shot" to the unit, increasing the potential damage to 3 hits/hull points. With the small unit size the LD boost will also help, as they will probably take casualties and having them hang aroundfor another couple of ML shots might be vital.

I'll have a look at the EML on the wasps, Im magnetizing the models so I can change them as needed.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2015, 07:14:46 AM »
Hey Pringles. I think starting the Hornets in reserves is the way to go... the Autarch'll get em in early on very reliably. Mine have only come in turn 3 or later 1 time in the past 14 games. The ability to get them exactly where they want to be without taking any return fire is absolutley huge. When they come in its absolutely devastating. Nine times out of ten it'll be a knockout blow that most armies can't recover from just make sure they are not anywhere with CC range of things like Dreadknights, and Knight Titans remember those things can move quick! As for taking a second Nightwing... I'm not sure. The deepstriking Voidstorm squads and deep striking Corsair squads with EML and Fusion guns are very nice. I think I'd keep just one for the time being...

BTW do you have the Nightwing models? Cause you can convert them Razorwings super easy.

Also I'm really glad you are enjoying my project! Steal as many ideas as you can cause thats why I post that stuff. I want to empower my fellow Eldar players through kitbashing!  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline pringles978

« Reply #5 on: February 2, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »
Hi Cav, thinking about it, you're probably right. Ideally I want to start as little as possible on the board, probably just the Autarch and Serpents, and give the opponent first turn. After he's spread out a bit I can then come on and go for a wipeout, as detailed here: http://40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/null-deployment-7th-edition.html

As for the Nightwing, I was lucky enough to pick one up brand new for stupidly cheap on a Facebook trade site but I can easily make some of those razorwing conversions should I take more. I think if i want to up the evil in the list I'll be taking more and additional hornets, but for now I dont want to get shunned at a new club lol.

Im hoping to get a project log up soon, just waiting for a few more bitz to arrive so I can showcase a finished 1k. Feel free to pinch any of my ideas ;)

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2015, 01:41:35 AM »
Personally, I love felarchs wtih haywires.  They give you an extra bit of anti-tank and they let you do at least a small something to any walkers that charge your unit.  Plus, you can both throw a grenade and use one in assault if you need a little extra oomph against a vehicle.  They also have considerably better range than a melta-distance fusion pistol, and they're less likely to make the vehicle blow up and hurt your own space pirates elves.  The way I see it, you're spending a total of 30 points to give more than half your corsairs in the felarch squads anti-tank weapons.  To me, that's worth it.  I mean, what else are you going to spend the points on?  More lasblaster shots? Corsairs are all about the toys!