News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden 's Silver Ghosts VS the Nameless Cabal - 1850 Pts/Gamma  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
   I decided to return to the basics and load on Wraithguards and Wraithlords in my take all comers list. Maybe not necessarily the soundest tactical option but fluff calls! ;D

I'd like to point here that it was my first time ever that I fought Dark Eldar. I knew from Codex reading (a long time ago) and basic WH 40K knowledge, that I was to face a probably fast and numerous army but fairly fragile.
   In fact, in the 4 last years, I mainly fought SM and Necrons with the odd (maybe 1 time each)Tau, Tyranid and IG players. As you see, I'm mainly used to face MEQs and how to deal with them.
   I decided to try to take those DE as I'd take Nids. In fact, that lead me to take very strange/stupid initiatives that haunted me right from turn 2... :D

SILVER GHOSTS TASK FORCE

HQ: 133 PTS
   -Farseer: Spirit Stones, Fortune, Doom, Singing Spear - 133 pts

ELITE: 554 PTS
   -Wraithguard: X 5, Warlock with S.Spear, Destructor - 213 pts (AKA Spearguard)
   +Wave Serpent: Twin Shurican, Shurican upg, S.Stone, V.Engine, S.Engine -155 pts
   -Harlies: X 7, Shadowseer, D.Jester, 5 Kisses - 186 pts

TROOP: 698 PTS
   -Wraithguard: X 10, Spiritseer, Conceal - 396 pts (AKA Landguard)
   -Avengers: X 10, Exarch, Bladestorm - 147 pts
   +Wave Serpent: Twin Shurican, Shurican upg, S.Stone, V.Engine, S.Engine -155 pts

HEAVY: 465 PTS
   -Wraithlord: Starcannon/Scatter Laser - 140 pts (AKA Starlord)
   -Wraithlord: Brightlance/EML - 155 pts (AKA Lancelord)
   -Fire Prism: Shurican upg, S.Stone, Holofield - 170 pts

FAST: NONE

TOTAL: 1850 PTS

NAMELESS CABAL (Don't have the Pts for the list, just writing it)

HQ: ...
   -Archon: Agoniser, Drugs, Shadowfield, Splinter pistol
   +Incubi retinue: X 10
   +Raider: Dark Lance upg.

ELITE: ...
   -Wych: X 10 with Wych weapons & Drugs
   -Warp Beasts: X 5 + Beastmaster

TROOP: ...
   -Warriors: X 20, Sybarite, Webway Portal, (wargear?) Splinter Can. X 2, Blaster X 2
   -Warriors: X 10, Darklance X 2
   -Warriors: X 10, Blasters X 2
   -Warriors: X 10, Blasters X 2

HEAVY: ...
   -Talos
   -Ravager with 3 Disintegrator, Night Shield

FAST: ...
   -Jetbikes: X 5, Blaster X 2, Sccubus, Haywire grenades, Webway Portal (+ wargear?)
   -Jetbikes: X 5, Blaster X 2, Sccubus, Haywire grenades, Webway Portal (+ wargear?)

-For what I know, there is some squad leaders or upgrades that miss in the list but some units died so fast that they never came into play... :P

TOTAL: 1850 PTS

BOARD SET-UP & DEPLOYMENT (Perspective is from my side, which is south)

-There was some heavy cover on the table, the main one a huge building in the center (14 '' across, LEV 3), 2 big lump of impassable/LOS blocking terrain in the south right and north left corner (LEV 3), 2 medium sized area buildings center left( LEV 3) and center right (LEV 2), 2 big piles of rubble/low ruined walls (LEV 2, not area) in each deployment zone + some clutter here and there.
   -The objective counter was inside the central buillding.

-We took turn deploying with the DE beginning.
DE: He deployed the Ravager and a squad of Bikes behind the LEV 3 Silo north left, 10 Warriors with DLances in cover on the left with LOS to my Lancelord, the 20 Warriors squad in cover midway on his right and the 2nd squad of Bike straight center in the open but well hidden behind the objective building. The remain was kept in reserve via Webway Portals.

ELDAR: I deployed centrally, with my 10 Landguard & Farseer behind the objective building, flanked on their left by the Starlord and the Lancelord a bit further in a pile of rubble. The Harlies hid behind the Lancelord. The 2 Serpent flanked the Landguard to its right with the Prism to their right. As he had nothing that could hurt them (the tanks), I didn't fear to put them in the open.

He got the first turn.

---TURN 1---

DARK ELDAR: -The high pitched sound of eldar skimmer thruster echoed the board as the center  Jetbikes got behind the objective building.
   -On the north left, their brother squad turboboosted behind the center left building and the Ravager moved 12'' to get LOS to the Lancelord in cover and put a wound on the towering construct.
   -On the left and staying in cover, the Warriors scored another wound on the wraithlord with Darklance fire.
   -On the right, the 20 Warriors bid their time while playing cards...

IYANDEN: -The Farseer tapped on the warp and casted Fortune on the Lancelord.
   -The wounded construct moved forward but stayed in cover and traded shots with the Ravager, stunning it.
   -The Harlies followed the Lancelord, the Death Jester shooting his Shrieker Cannon on the Lance Warriors, killing 1 and pinning them!
   -The Landguard got behind the central building, the Starlord flanking them but failed to target the Ravager due to its Nightshield.
   -The Spearguard Wave Serpent turboboost forward and Tank Shocked the Jetbikes behind the objective, sending them running, but not far enough and they would have to flee again next turn if the Serpent stayed alive.
   -The other Serpent advanced 12'' north, turned and deployed it's Dire Avengers who pointed their Shuricats toward the 20 Warrior squad who stopped playing cards and readied their weapons.
   -The Fire Prism followed within 24'' of the Warriors.
   -Combined fire from the Bladestorming Avengers and Prism send 14 of the dark kin screaming to Slaanesh. The Warriors held their ground.

---TURN 2---

DARK ELDAR: - On the north left, the stunned Ravager drift uselessly.
   -The pinned Warriors keep their heads down, not daring to take a look...
   -The central Jetbikes, too close to the Wave Serpent to rally, flee off table.
   -On the left, the other Jetbikes move toward the center and deploy the Webgate. Due to Fortune and heavy cover, their Blasters fail to wound the Lancelord.
   -On the right side, the 6 surviving Warriors does the same, keeping their positions and hosing the Avengers who loses 5 of their numbers. The Avengers, altough horrified by their losses, hold their ground.

IYANDEN: - The Farseer, tapping power from the warp cast Fortune on the Starlord and Doom the Jetbike squadron.  He then fall behind as the Landguard go on their own inside the objective building, preparing to settle the defense.
   -The Starlord, bolstered from the Farseer power stride forward inside the building and within 12'' of the objective and open fire on the Ravager but fail to destroy the fell skimmer and only manage to destroy a Disintegrator and stun it.
   -On the left, the Lancelord thread north out of cover toward the enemy Jetbikes but choose to fire its weaponry on the drifting Ravager but miss both shots.
   -Seeing an opportunity for to perform, the Harlies follow the Lancelord, passing it with fleeting speed and assault the dark kin Jetbikes, wiping them to all.
   -The Spearguard' Serpent makes a dashing 12'' move forward and left and disembark it's cargo who quickly obliterate the entire Darklance armed Warriors with Destructor from the Warlock and Wraithcannon fire.
   -On the right side, the depleted Avenger squad remount it's Wave Serpent and both the Serpent and the Prism fly 12'' to their right and combine fire with the Spearguard's Serpent to kill a whole 2 Warriors from the 6 surviving near the Webgate.

---TURN 3---

DARK ELDAR: - The totality of the Dark Kin army come forth from the 2 deployed Webway Gates.
   -From the left Gate, 2 Warrior squads and the Wyches emerge and suppress the Harlequin threat with Splinter/Blaster fire. The Whych unit decide they do not want to face the Starlord and try to fleet away from the wraith constuct.
   -From the center right Webgate, the Talos and Warp Beasts emerge to engage the Spearguard, the Talos reaching them by a pinch and dispatching 2 in CC while the Beasts do nothing and lose 1 of their own. Due to overkill, Pile In factor and interfering Wave Serpent, the Talos find itself outside of Pile In move and consolidate 2''.
   -In all its splendour, the Raider race from the Portal toward the Landguard while shooting and destroying the Lancelord. It then disgorge the Archon with his Incubi retinue who slam in the Landguard, destroying 3 to no loss in return.
   -On the right, the 4 surviving Warriors try their Blasters VS the Spearguard's Serpent but not to avail.

IYANDEN: - The Farseer begin by casting Fortune on the Starlord and Dooming the Wych squad. He then turn right around the ongoing CC and destroy the Raider with a well throw ed Singing Spear.
   -On the left, the Starlord advance toward the Wyches and burn them all with it's Flamers. No, I won't fall into the cliché... ;D
   -North left, the Spearguard kill 3 Warpbeasts to no loss in return and outrun them to death. They then consolidate deep in place of the late Lance Warrior squad.
   -The Spearguard's Serpent back off 12'' to the right and finally destroy the Ravager with a hail of Shurican fire.
   -On the right, the Prism and Avenger's transport move 12''toward center, the Serpent disembarking the Avengers in range of the 4 surviving Warriors out of 20 and fail to kill any.
   -The Prism and the Avenger's Serpent then proceed to obliterate 1 of the 2 fresh Warrior squad standing in the open.
   -Near the objective, the CC between the Landguard and the Archon/Incubi comes near to a draw when the Archon failed to kill any. The Incubi saved the day by killing 2 VS 1 of their own.

---TURN 4---

DARK ELDAR: -On the left side, the Talos move to reengage the Spearguard and dispatch another 2. They occurred no casualties being outnumbered...
   -The surviving Warrior squad back up in cover and manage to take wound from the Starlord with their Blasters.
   -On the right, the 4 surviving Warriors move and fleet toward the objectice, but fail to reach the building's cover.
   -In the building, the fight rage between the Wraith constructs and the dread lord of the Incubi. Combined effort from the Lord and Incubi destroy 3 WG and overrun the surviving Landguard after 3 failed saves due to the No Retreat rule! The Archon & his retinue then consolidate in the now condemned  Farseer...

IYANDEN: -Seeing his doom forthcoming, the Farseer cast Fortune on himself but fail his Doom test. In the ensuing fight, he is messily disposed off in an orgy of gore... Follows a spreading consolidation near the objective.
   -On the north left, the fight between the Talos and the Spearguard comes to an end when the fell construct kill the Warlock and his last bodyguard while suffering a wound from a solid Witchblade hit. The thing then consolidate in cover toward it's kin construct, the Starlord.
   -Nearby, the Starlord, assisted from the Prism who miss completely, move in range to the Warrior unit in cover and burn them to a crispy consistence with Flamer fire, leaving only 3 survivors who held their ground.
   -North center, the (late) Spearguard's Serpent try to Tank Shock the 4 Warriors running for the central building, succeeding only to lose it's twin Shurican to Death or Glory stand up. The Blaster carrier is subsequently sucked up by Serpent's thruster intake...yuck!
   -The Avengers and the 2 Serpents then combine fire to finally wipe out the final 4 Warrioirs from the original 20.

---TURN 5---

DARK ELDAR: -Having no options, the Lord and his Incubi keep their heads down in cover.
   -On the left north, the 3 surviving Warriors standing over their smoking friend's remnants
try to blast the Wraithlord to dust but fail miserably.
   -With relentless determination, the Talos engage the Wraithlord in it's own term. The opponents proved matched and both suffered a wound under the blows of the other, both constructs staring the other in the eye for the next round...

IYANDEN: -The damaged serpent maneuver to shoot it's Shurican on the Blaster armed Warriors in the ruin but fail to score a hit.
   -The other Serpent try to Tank Shock the Incubi to drive them out of the building but they stand their ground. Ensuing fire from the said Serpent, Prism and Avengers dispose of 2 of the deadly warriors.
   -The fight between the Starlord and the Talos end with the demise of the scorpion like machine. The victorious Wraithlord consolidate in cover near the 3 Blaster Warriors.

---TURN 6---

DARK ELDAR: -Up north, the Warriors back off from the towering construct but fail to destroy the Wraithlord. Being in cover is good... :D
   -Near the objective, the Archon decide to try his luck and assault the Serpent hovering over the ruin but is unable to stick his Haywire charge on the skimmer.

IYANDEN: -Moving and surrounding the 7 trapped Incubi and their master, the Fire Prism (within objective), the Dire Avengers (Within objective) and their Wave Serpent brings their guns to bear on the scoring DE command unit and smear 4 of them in the shooting phase, bringing them under scoring strenght.
   -North left, with the Archon's squad out of the way to victory, the damaged Serpent and the Starlord (too slowed by terrain to use his Flamers) manage to eliminate 2 of the 3 Warrior in cover but failing to break the lone survivor who scream his defiance over the blackened remant of his companions...

---OVERVIEW---

Within objective, I had my 2 remaining scoring units, namely the Fire Prism and the Avengers. The DE player had none, as I succeeded to reduce his Incubi under scoring in the last game turn.

The VPs were      : -IYANDEN: 1867 pts
(Counting objective): -DARK ELDAR: 1083 pts
                            : -Difference in pts: 784 pts

-SOLID VICTORY for the SILVER GHOSTS!  ::)

Ok, I played badly. I've been lucky to pull a victory out of this! I think I did 3 major mistakes in the my turn 2.
--- His Web Portals were deployed! What was I thinking? My only excuse is to plead temporary madness.
   I'm so used to too tough to be true MEQs, when I began to shoot his deployed forces and eliminating them, I just didn't believe my eyes. Models dying in droves! What an extraordinary concept :o!!!
   At that point (2nd turn), I was almost drooling over the easy kill and decided to take him now and then, which I did, and then I lost my best units... :-[

The 3 Errors:
1) -After successfully Tank Shocking his Jetbikes, I should just have baked off and made a wall from my 2 Serpents to protect my Landguard from his Raider & Lord/Incubi.
   or
2) -It was turn 2! I had all the time. I should just have backed off with my Landguard behind the central building and out of Raider charge range from the WWP.

3) -What the heck was I thinking, throwing my Harlies at his throat, their subsequent loss forfeiting my sole unit that could deal with the Lord and Incubi. :'(

Stupidity aside, had I put my squads out of his 3 th turn charge would probably have permitted me to destroy him utterly as I completely outshot him and had a somewhat superior mobility at this point of the game.
   Bah, whatever. Now that I have more intimate knowledge of the dark kin, I should manage better next time.

After the game, we discussed our respective armies and he came to the conclusion that he lacked a Raider or 2 and would put another agoniser (at last) in his Wych squad. Had it been so, he would have charged (he should have anyway, big error from his part here: that Wraithlord is the MVP of the game, killing the Wyches, the Talos and almost 1 full squads of Warriors by himself  :D!). He also took part in the Ravagers's destruction!

Overall, a fun game with plenty of action.

Starky    -Next: Silver Ghosts VS Armored Company
« Last Edit: March 8, 2007, 08:44:41 AM by Starrakatt, the left hand of Khaine »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
Re: Iyanden 's Silver Ghosts VS the Nameless Cabal - 1850 Pts/Gamma
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
Good win there, Starky, and a nice report. :)

When I read the matchup in the title I was very intrigued to see how it would turn out. Seldom do you see two such different Eldarish forces squaring off against each other.

I've got very little experience playing against the Dark Kin, so I can't really comment on your tactics. It seems that the Starlord did save your bacon though. Wow, what a kill count! :o
It's quite horrifying how easily the Archon and his retinue managed to chew through that big squad of wraithguard. Those guys are meant to be tough.

Anyway, Grats.

Dizzy

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2007, 03:56:50 PM »
I'm a little confused as to how your opponent managed to deploy his Webway portals. As far as I can tell his bikes moved on the first and second turns, and you can't deploy a WWP and move in the same turn. Maybe a DE player can correct me there, if there's something I don't know about jetbikes and WWP, but right now it looks like he played it wrong.

Offline kipper

• putting the "laughter" back into "slaughter"
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2007, 05:38:53 PM »
with reference to the move/deployment of WWP.....its an on going argument as its a badly written rule....some say it means no FoF in the shooting, but some say no movement whatsoever...

but a good batrep none the less.  it was foolish of you to let the WWP get deployed. BUT...many people make that mistake.
All forms of resistance are futile in the face of the combined might of a packet of party rings!

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
  • Ask me for the DE True Type Font
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »
An interesting battle and congrats on the win! :D

Being a Dark Eldar player I have to say that the DE list was a little unusual. It was still a very competitive list and the incubi and talos provide a solid hammer

I understand that you dont know the DE list and wargear perfectly but it looks as if he had 3 warp portals (2 is normal but I rarely hear of 3 in a list). If you just look at the amount of points he spent on the portals he was really playing with 1700 point list.

As for the jetbikes, they are not allowed to deploy the portal. I see this mistake alot as first time DE players often give the wwp to the bikes - its a natural combination and very inticing but the DE codex is quite clear you cant do that.

Also, most DE players are savvy enough to understand that you cannot move or fire on the same turn the portal is deployed. Some will argue that you can shoot (except the Sybarite deploying wwp) but you definitely cant move that turn.  Perhaps he was desperate and needed a portal to go down or he really did not know that - go figure.

Another kind of wierd choice was that he had 10 incubi? Probably 9 with a lord to make a total of 10 to fit on the raider. 5 or 6 is the norm as 9 is a little overkill and expensive and hard to hide/move. No doubt it can take anything down it comes into cc with but as you discovered they fall like space marines when shot at. I have a friend that plays with alot of incubi but he has 2 lords that each lead 5 incubi (with incubi masters) and Drazhar - a little heavy on the incubi, around 900 points worth.

There was something you said about the DE adding an agoniser and checked to see if he had any and it looks like the wyches didnt have one. Granted there were 10 power weapons in the incubi squad but the wych squad is lacking one big time. I love wyches, hate to see them not outfitted right and poorly used.

I like your summary and I think you are spot on on how to deal with the DE.  Things to remember when playing against a DE list with a portal:

Portal carriers are fragile - make them take a morale check from shooting, pin them, CC them (if you can on 1st turn)  or make them flee. Eldar should have no problems shooting the crap out of the carriers and staying a good distance away from the possible deployment of the portal. If you can kill one portal carrier than the DE player has to play out of one and depending where that portal is can affect the game dramatically - cause him to drop the portal first turn in his own deployment zone and you're looking good.

Dont let the starting forces on the board fool you - they want you to come closer (seducing you to try and  stop them) so the units coming out of the portal are within reach of cc (like the incubi). Sooo many times I have lulled my opponent into thinking that he has won the game by turn 2 only to have half my list come out of the portal and into CC by turn 3 - DE count on getting into CC not a shooting match.

Don't under estimate their charge distance - although I dont think you had that problem the DE can ride a raider for 12", deploy for 2", fleet for d6" (except incubi cant fleet) and assault for 6" - if the wyches have the 12" charge drug then tack on another 6" on top of that. Remember to shoot the CC units and CC the shooting units and you are golden!

Again, congrats on the win!

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #5 on: March 7, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
Good job on the victory. 

That starcannon-toting Wraithlord really was a one man army.  Flaming the wyches was super cool, but seriously, how many blaster shots did he take to the chest?  Sounds like the DE player was having problems rolling to wound.    :D
\

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
   Hi all! Sorry to take that long before answering. Between my work and my family it happens that I was kept out of PC range :D.

Thank you all for the input so far! :)

As for the jetbikes, they are not allowed to deploy the portal.
   Also, most DE players are savvy enough to understand that you cannot move or fire on the same turn the portal is deployed
   I'll surely check with this out next time I see him, thanks!

That starcannon-toting Wraithlord really was a one man army. Flaming the wyches was super cool, but seriously, how many blaster shots did he take to the chest?  Sounds like the DE player was having problems rolling to wound.    Cheesy
   Hé-hé! ;D Somewhat, he got shot only 6 times with Blasters, 4 hits, then 2 wounds, one of which was saved by cover. That was average, I think ;).
   On the other hand, the Brightlance Wraithlord fell pretty quickly from 8 shots, 2 of them being inflicted while in cover straight at the start!

But yeah, I've been lucky with the Starlord, being charged by the Talos (there he should have died, really! :P) and all...

And for his kill count, ''that Wraithlord is the MVP of the game, killing the Wyches, the Talos and almost 1 full squads of Warriors by himself  Cheesy!). He also took part in the Ravagers's destruction!'', I was slightly wrong in the original post (the 2th squad of Warriors was destroyed by  Prism and Serpent fire, my bad), which have been edited :-[.

Again, thanks. I should be writing soon a betrep VS an IG Armored Company, so expect news from the Silver Ghosts!

Starky
« Last Edit: March 8, 2007, 03:06:44 PM by Starrakatt, the left hand of Khaine »

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.