News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which Chapter Should I Choose?  (Read 85559 times)

Offline khazrak

• i liked the matrix.....the first one anyway.
Re: Which Chapter Should I Choose?
« Reply #60 on: March 7, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »
hmmm.....

....this isn't to do with tactics but just for eye catching value how about the exorcists chapter they have an interesting backstory ,or my army the legion of the damned as they have the most unique armor desighn,and they CAN (not always) count as one big unit (insert beavis and butt-head joke here).

Offline spacewolvesrule40

• i am undefeated in 15 games
    • my awsome website(not finished but has forums)
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2005, 06:22:13 AM »
if you like an infantry based heavy fire power army go for the space wolves - my army has not been beatin in 20 games in a row the most guys i have lost i 5 so i must be doin somethin right
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 01:55:25 PM by Wuestenfux »
the most space wolves i have lost in battle is 5 and they were blood claws

Offline the machine god

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2005, 06:55:55 AM »
why are dark angel termies better then normal ones?  ;D

Offline Malcavitch

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #63 on: April 5, 2005, 11:54:30 PM »
A die hard vetern of Bolter and Chainsword (hope I don't break any rules for mentioning them) will say because they don't fall back.  They are effectivly fearless (stubbern), but cost a few points more for that. 

One of the tricks with Space Wolves is they play slightly differently then other marines, they are one of the few marines who, as a whole, do better in hand to hand combat then at shooting.  Having multiple powerfists in a squad can do that.  The lake of a squad heavy weapon can be agrivating though

Offline the great beaver

• space wolves ROCK!
« Reply #64 on: April 6, 2005, 12:16:18 AM »
I started off playing space wolves and I cannot understand having heavy weapons in tac squads. even the very first time I played a demo game vs dark eldar I simply refused to keep my guys still (even then I didnt know black templars liked HTH) in order to shoot the heavy bolter.

I actually find it difficult to hold my troops back even when I should. I love close combat, I love charging in, I love rending my foes to peices and stomping upon their remains, I love the smell of spilt blood and the sounds of snapping vertebrae in my ears, I love sweeping over my fallen enemies into their back ranks where I can smite down their cowardly leaders who hide behind the real warriors who I had quickly smote.

good lord but i really am a blood claw :D

if you like chasing your enemy, if you like pouncing upon them or dying amidst them in GLORIOUS combat then take space wolves.

if you like hiding behind defensive barricades but you still want to look like your a space marine, then take dark angels :P

after all this is a fantasy game. whats the point if your not going to embody the flaming sword of the emperor :D

(ps: just kidding about DA  :-* )
<--thunderblood-->

Offline BT_Queen

• WOOKIES ARE SO BADASS.
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »
Personally I find Ultramarines are boring, same with Black Templars (and I would know from experiance).  :-\

Space Wolves are rather interesting, as I have a friend who also plays them.

Also as many people have mentioned before, Dark Angels are very nice.

:)

Offline OneMeanChicken

• I am just that mean!
« Reply #66 on: June 6, 2005, 05:18:53 PM »
I have proxied a bunch of different chapters with my brother and found things i like and dislike about each army.
I have owned a Space Wolf and Blood Angels and borrowed/proxied pretty much all the different chapters. Then I sold all my 40k stuff cause i needed money. But now I am getting back into 40k and I am makin a Blood Angel Army again.

Anyways...
I still think if you want to play Close combat stick with Blood angels or the wolfs... Templar are slow like the wolfs but really can't take the beatin they can. Plus they can't have veteren sargents and I think that makes more of a difference then not.
Blood Angels: Fasted Space marine army other then White Bike army (forgot name) Can get into close combat surprizingly fast and with furious charge can take out most space marine armies before they strike back (if you know what ur doing.)

Space Wolfs: Slow... Fery slow... but can take more hits and servive better in cc then most other space marines with all those powerweapons/fists. Very very nice Librarian power... Though I find the lack of firepower kinda anoying.

As for Dark Angels.... right now if I wanted to go firepower I think I would stick with vanalla marines since they can have plasma cannons in tac squads now... Mainly because they got all those chapters traits to play around with. I really like a defestator squad with plasma cannons that can infiltrate. Or a Assualt marine squad with furious charge. Though I always thought a razorwing or deathwing army would be fun to play with.

Offline Agier

• "From the darkness we strike..." -Captain Shrike
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2005, 10:17:08 AM »
Some Raven guard pros and cons
pros
1)they can sport an army of 70 assault marines in one force org by useing the rules in the new space marine codex.
2)regular marines are now better at close combat.
3)furious charge is a great asset for you jum pack troops.
4)cool veteran skills for Shrike and his comm squad

cons
1)Shrike's boys are very expensive even though they are under "retail" if u calculate a assault marines with that equipment.
2)Be carefull not to rely on one squad too much as this can make or break your army (a 500 pt squad being hit with a S 10 AP 1 Ordanace wep sucks)
3)Transports count as fast attack (even drop pods) which i am personaly trying to get figured out (ok for rhinos and razorbacks but drop pods?!!)
The question is not, "am I better than you?"  Rather, "to what extent am I better than you?"

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #68 on: July 3, 2005, 08:10:03 AM »
Raven Guard is a nice army to play. However, Veteran Assault squads are expensive point-wise. And when there is sparse terrain on the board, the Assault squads may get heavily decimated before they reach the enemy's front ranks.
Notice also that Shrike has no invulnerable save making him less useful.

Offline Chaplian chris

• Chrage do not fall back!!
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2005, 06:18:47 PM »
why are dark angel termies better then normal ones?  ;D

one thing is they are stuburn and i dont know if they are  changing this rule or not but any dark angel terminators
can change there stormbolter and power fist with either a pair of lightning claws or a thunder hammer and a storm sheild at no additional cost.
and up to two may be armed with one of the following weapons assault cannon, heavy flamer, cyclone missle launcher.
and any can change their power fist to a chain fist.

i heared a rumer umungst games workshop staff that this rule was being terminated.
"And where do you keep the gene-seed before it is implanted?" he asked, turning to face Malus.

Offline Chaplian chris

• Chrage do not fall back!!
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2005, 06:23:39 PM »
Though I always thought a razorwing or deathwing army would be fun to play with.

sorry im not useally in the habit of corecting people but it is ravenwing, and the white bike army is the white scars.
"And where do you keep the gene-seed before it is implanted?" he asked, turning to face Malus.

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2005, 05:10:53 PM »
black templars are a must choose! you may ask why? cos instead of running away they run towards the enemy and if you choose the vow they can auto hit on 3+ in close combat! what is better than that!!!!!!!!

Offline Zany Reaper

• Spammer: No-one likes me and I have to deal with that.
  • Leader of the Tabletop Round-up Modification
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »

Too bad that my Alaitoc Eldar can ruin your Close Combat force there Qwerty,  Shooting rules!

I have so far never lost a proper match to Black Templars, ever since I found out how to use Vypers to the max.

Chapter wise, I'd go with the Dark Angels, as their much needed Plasma weapons don't overheat, making them nearly as useful as starcannons are!  You could also use White Scars, as they've got some cool Hit & Run tactics there, & are fast!  Speed & mobility is what I favour...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 05:52:39 PM by Zany Reaper »
Tabletop Round-up mod forums:
http://s9.invisionfree.com/Tabletop_Roundup_Mod/index.php?

Relic modding boards:
http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Cuteness.  Why do some of us hate it? 

I don't!  Send me something cute!  Gah!  I may drool at it!

Offline qwertypp7

« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2005, 06:10:15 PM »
cheating pixies with their starcannons *grumble grumble* ruin my day will they!!!!  >:(

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2005, 09:18:45 PM »
Zany Reaper, qwertypp7, you two have been warned already. Do not bicker like children in this forum. You are being watched. Continue and be removed.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Star Slayer

• Autarch
« Reply #75 on: August 1, 2005, 01:00:36 AM »
Interesting stuff, but now out-dated since the new Codex has been out for awhile.
Maybe this shouldn't be "sticky" anymore.
Anyone want to update this thread? Some stuff just isn't the same anymore(example: Salamanders lower initiative).

Offline Guardsman606

• Ello' Mate!!
    • The cheapest figures ever!!
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2005, 11:20:42 AM »
I would go with Imperial Fists
Lysander and his Armour Save I still say cant be beaten
I dont have a short attention sp- OH, a birdy!!!

Offline Dranshmont

• Sybarite
  • The race is on Swiper!
« Reply #77 on: October 9, 2005, 11:01:25 AM »
Oh and if some one wants to play a chapter that's cheap and cheesy against the DE...go for the Black templar...and dont forget to make Xenos your prefered enemy.

(Click me! Join the Arena of Death!)

Offline vaderhader

• Call in the men in Black
« Reply #78 on: December 4, 2005, 02:43:16 PM »
deathwatch: xeno hunters
pros: great bolters 4 bolter upgrades
good cc true grit
inquistors and any of his homies
cons high cost only grey knights cost more
no codex

Offline Dark_Zadok

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • With Faith comes Fire
« Reply #79 on: May 1, 2006, 08:13:23 AM »
can anyone do a description on Imperial Fists?
I'd would except, i dont know alot about them...i only know bits form the seige of the palace (before second founding) and the Ironcage incident (again before second founding)

do people dismay them because their Yellow? or is it something else?

Z - Of the Imperial Fists  ;)