News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which Chapter Should I Choose?  (Read 85557 times)

Offline Arun

• BANNED: A list as long as my arm.
  • Abuser
  • ;__; I was a crappy poster, and I got banned.
Re: Which Chapter Should I Choose?
« Reply #80 on: May 1, 2006, 08:39:52 AM »
What strengths do the Black Templars have that doesn't make the Blood Angels and Space Wolves much better than them?
I totally quit 40kO 4-eva!
I knew of the rules yet refused to follow them.
I also most likely had a 1/5 of the Brain.

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #81 on: May 3, 2006, 02:40:46 PM »
i think u should play as ultramarines because as they have no special advantages (except tyrannid veterans) it also means that there is no disadvantages.
i'm welsh and don't you forget it.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2006, 10:15:22 AM »
My friend has recently started an Imperial Fists army, he`s still at the buying and building stage and i`m ashamed to say, i cannot help him much.  I`m a dyed-in-the-wool Eldar player and the only thing i know about marines is that they squelch when you`re scraping them off your boot.... ;D

However.....i think a force made up of wall-to-wall yellow will look amazing on the table and that Lysander figure is one of the nicer ones around for marines IMO.  Someone should do a list or two and tactica for IF`s and give us all a break from DA, BA SW and UM`s.....

I think the problem lies with the difficulty of painting yellow.  You either spray everything black and then try to "bring-in" the yellow gradually using a mid or light brown or even Bleached Bone, or you go the whole hog and spray white, then coat yellow with washes of orange or brown ink for the recesses. This of course means that you`ll be blacking-out all the none-yellow bits for the rest of your life.... :-\

Teleport Assault is a good reason to play the Fists though, and is great for anyone who loves Termies...or yellow...... ;)  Also, if you are into fluff reasons, then how about the bravery of Brother-Captain Escharra from the book "Storm of Iron"?  If you haven`t read this yet then you really need to....

Wuestenfux, Uzzy....anyone..... how about a Tactica Fists then?

Happy gaming, Reborn. :)

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #83 on: July 1, 2006, 02:40:07 PM »
The Lysander model is really nice, although I converted it to a (Terminator) Librarian w/ storm shield, storm bolter, and force weapon.

In terms of IF tactics, take Lysander and build around him a deep striking or drop podding terminator based army. Add some drop podding Dreads and as standard take cc or bolter wielding Scouts setting up rather close to the enemy if necessary.

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #84 on: July 2, 2006, 04:33:49 AM »
i collect different chapte rmasters and wen i got lysander he looked to cramped so i moved his right arm up and to the side and moved his left arm a bit down and to the side with greenstuff he looks cool. 8)
i'm welsh and don't you forget it.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #85 on: July 2, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »
Wuestenfux, how are you mate? Long time no talk, hope things are well with you. It`s a sad thing you know, when an Eldar player has to come all the way over to the Marine board, to meet such a decent, nice guy...... ;D
Keep rolling 6`s W.

-Reborn. :)

Offline Colonel Penguin

• Blood Claw
  • Chaos, panic, disorder, I see my work here is done
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2006, 10:08:52 PM »
Completly off topic (yet some how back to the original topic) A good space marine army is a tactically flexible army is definitly space wolves like metinoed in the original post the have access to long fangs (the excellent ability to divide fire allowing you to focus on both anti infantry and anti tank) and access to special equipement not in any other chapter (frost blades, runic charms, wolf pelts, etc.) and their venerable dreadnoughts are still superieur to most all othe walkers.
"All right son we're the last two soldiers of the imperium left on this rock. We're going to hit them hard"
"Yes sir I just have one question. Which end do the bullets go in again??"
"That's your knife trooper."
Last words of Sergent Cole. He was found dead, still strangling the body of trooper Brooks

5000 pts space wolves
4000 pts 13th company
3000 pts space marines Knights Invictus

Offline blacktemplarcommander

• Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well.
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »
A good space marine army is a tactically flexible army is definitly space wolves like metinoed in the original post the have access to long fangs (the excellent ability to divide fire allowing you to focus on both anti infantry and anti tank) and access to special equipement not in any other chapter (frost blades, runic charms, wolf pelts, etc.) and their venerable dreadnoughts are still superieur to most all othe walkers.

Ya but Long Fangs can be quite expensive, though i do agree that dividing fire seriously kicks butt.

Offline DarkTau

• Kroot r nothing but carnivorous peace haitin hipys
« Reply #88 on: February 8, 2007, 10:14:08 PM »
I say make your own chapter... this is the one i made...

Astartes Mechanicus
The Mechanized Bloodthersters

Notable Divergence
Advantages
Scions of Mars
Heed the wisdom of the Ancients

Disadvantages
Eye to Eye

Home world: Delta Tao

This Chapter is a thrown together Chapter from the remains of 8 Battle ridden Chapter. They were on The Horus Heresy. The remains of 8 Chapters that took extremely high casualties and they decided to merge the Chapters to make the Astartes Mechanicus. The Departmento Munitorum moved the new Chapter away from The Eye of Terror to Delta Tao to recuperate from the effects of Chaos so they would not fall. The tainted were purged and the ones deemed pure were sent to Delta Tao for further purification. The planet was a Agro world so there was plenty of room to set up a citadel. They soon found it to be a mineral rich world perfect to repair Terminator Armor and Dreadnought from the 8 Chapters. For the ones that proved themselves righteous for the Emperor’s ideals in battle. Now any Space Marines that fell in the Emperor’s honor were graced with becoming Dreadnought warriors. The World was soon attacked by an invasion of Tyranids. They fought heavily against the Tyranids. They were soon called the Mechanized Bloodthersters for the amount of Tyanid organs they feasted on after a battle.

if you have a problem with my Chapter please PM me

Offline Kishvier

• Gooder Speller Then U
  • BANNED - for crimes against bandwidth.
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »
Thanks a ton, I have choosen my chapter finally and it is the dark angels ;D
[SPAM] IS MY FAVORITE FORM OF [POSTING]!  BLARGHRAGARGMERARRG!!!

Offline Atomic Rooster

« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:04 PM »
I think a do it yourself chapter is the way to go. 

Over the many years I've played, I saw GW change army lists significantly enough to change my sentiments about some chapters.  If you make your own chapter, YOU are in control and can pick whatever space marine army list best suits the style of play you've played in previous editions.

The main reason I picked Space Marines for my current army is because I'm confident that 90%+ of the models will be useful in future editions with minimal conversions, and will operate much the same way as it did in the current edition.
"In short <Epic> is great fun with relatively few race-issues and I think that's why so few play it. There's just not enough to complain about."
-Gron

Offline billybob650

• What cliff?
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2007, 05:13:48 PM »
My own apinnion even thought im a newbie is the ultra marines as they have no disavanteges exept those tyraid hunters and the starter set already comes with some transfers!
I like to shoot!

Offline SyNide

• Dracon
  • Back in business
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2007, 07:17:06 AM »
Hi, are there any Raven Guard Veterans who can tell me about the army in it's current trait incarnation? What i've found on this thread is sorely lacking  :(

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2007, 03:12:38 AM »
I just finished a ard boys tourney with a Dark Angels (lacking 140pts) win-draw-lost, my army is feeble, knew it would lose and needs help, but they have a lot of staying power and I'm going to try harder next year, but they didn't let me down one bit! (only played to get experience anyway)

really though, you could read a thousands posts like this, but you should just choose the army that appeals to you the most, which one do you think looks the coolest! you should be looking harder into lucky dice not armies, I need some that only role 6's!
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline BearBitesHurt

• Insolent: Forum Blockhead
  • Careful: I might talk to you like you're an adult
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2007, 08:17:34 PM »
I say make your own chapter... this is the one i made...

Astartes Mechanicus
The Mechanized Bloodthersters

Notable Divergence
Advantages
Scions of Mars
Heed the wisdom of the Ancients

Disadvantages
Eye to Eye

Home world: Delta Tao

This Chapter is a thrown together Chapter from the remains of 8 Battle ridden Chapter. They were on The Horus Heresy. The remains of 8 Chapters that took extremely high casualties and they decided to merge the Chapters to make the Astartes Mechanicus. The Departmento Munitorum moved the new Chapter away from The Eye of Terror to Delta Tao to recuperate from the effects of Chaos so they would not fall. The tainted were purged and the ones deemed pure were sent to Delta Tao for further purification. The planet was a Agro world so there was plenty of room to set up a citadel. They soon found it to be a mineral rich world perfect to repair Terminator Armor and Dreadnought from the 8 Chapters. For the ones that proved themselves righteous for the Emperor’s ideals in battle. Now any Space Marines that fell in the Emperor’s honor were graced with becoming Dreadnought warriors. The World was soon attacked by an invasion of Tyranids. They fought heavily against the Tyranids. They were soon called the Mechanized Bloodthersters for the amount of Tyanid organs they feasted on after a battle.

if you have a problem with my Chapter please PM me

Just as a side note, those Chapter Traits are identical to those of the Iron Hands.

Offline Cortez

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »
The Blood Angels army thing is a bit out of date with the new codex, so, read up. there's a PDF on the British or U.S site s in the BA section.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

Offline serge

• In the darkness of the FURNITURE there is only WAR
« Reply #96 on: July 1, 2008, 05:20:14 PM »
What about the Red Scorpions with their FW rules? Are they any good ruleswise?

Offline xylusofthewebway

• Death by shuriken!
« Reply #97 on: September 6, 2008, 02:30:53 PM »
im going to get black reach so im doing ultramarines...

although if i started space marines any other time i would do ultramarines just because i love the bright blue colour scheme

Offline thecon36

• Death from Above
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2009, 03:21:56 PM »
Blood Dragons is my new chapter. Check out my pic that's them. If anyone wants to check out a paint scheme go to bolter and chainsword and find that army painter.  It's sick.

Offline pdelair

« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »
What strengths do the Black Templars have that doesn't make the Blood Angels and Space Wolves much better than them?

More relevant rules. I love my Wolves and wouldn't trade them for the world but my Codex is 10+ years old and very outdated compared to newer books, not to mention that some of my cool rules went away with 5th Ed (No matter the odds, where art thou?). Not a good choice for a new army right now. That being said, I'm fairly competitive with them despite everything else.