News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salamanders 1500  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Bannok

• Following our Path is what leads us to Victory.
  • Armies: Eldar
Salamanders 1500
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
Hey guys I'm making a fluffy list (well fluffy in my head).

The Vanguard Veterans are used as Vulkans Honor Guard, I'll be putting them on terminator bases if the Vangaurd don't work well, yes they are expensive but are an awesome looking unit, all have glaives and storm shields and look magnificent. I might post up pics later.
Salamanders - 1500

HQ: 195
Vulkan He' Stan - 195

Troops: 440
Tactical Squad - Combi-Melta - Flamer - Missile Launcher - 180
Tactical Squad - Combi-Melta - Flamer - Missile Launcher - 180
Razorback - 40
Razorback - 40

Elites: 335
Dreadnought - Heavy Flamer - Twin Linked Lascannon - 145

Sternguard - Power Fist - Combi-Melta - 155
Drop Pod - 35

Fast Attack:   280
Vanguard Veterans - Relic Blade - Power Weapon (4) - Storm Shield (5) - Melta Bombs - 280

Heavy Support: 250
Land Raider Redeemer - Multi-Melta - 250

Note:
Thunder Hammer Terminators instead and Las/Plas Razorbacks and Meltabombs on Tactical Sergeants.
If a Farseer can truly predict their varied deaths. Would they not simply pick the one that appeals to them the most?

Offline Swamp Rat

Re: Salamanders 1500
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
Personally, i feel you´ll have a problem taking objectives. A wily opponent will target them first in 2 out of 3 games, then leave you struggling for a draw. Having said that, i commend your use of Vanguard Veterans, Rule of Cool should always take precedence.

If i were you, i´d drop the lascannon, give the Dreadnought a Multi-Melta and a Drop Pod, and have that as a very very nasty unit to land early on, whilst the Sternguard can be used as a late objective clearance. Or vice versa, depending on the game and the units you´re facing.
the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function the way a soldier is supposed to function -- without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends on it.

Don't cry for the Happy dead
But weep for those who dread to die.

Space Wolves Win Draw Loss - 5-3-0

Offline Bannok

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 12:48:49 PM »
I wanted to go with Multi Melta but I can't get my hands on any and I only have the one drop pod...

I can still use the vanguards as rule of cool but have them on terminator bases.
Salamanders - 1500 (List Two)

Vulkan He' Stan - 195

Troops: 520
Tactical Squad - Combi-Melta - Meltabombs - Flamer - Missile Launcher - 185
Razorback - Las/Plas - 75

Razorback - Las/Plas - 75

Elites: 540
Dreadnought - Heavy Flamer - Multi-Melta - 115
Drop Pod - 35

Sternguard - Power Fist - Combi-Melta - 155
Drop Pod - 35

Assault Terminators - Thunder Hammer (5) - Storm Shield (5) - 200

Heavy Support: 250
Land Raider Redeemer - Multi-Melta - 250

And thoughts on second list?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:42:24 PM by Bannok »
If a Farseer can truly predict their varied deaths. Would they not simply pick the one that appeals to them the most?

Offline ak-73

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:01:11 AM »
Assault Terminator + LR is pricey at 1,500 but if that's what you want...   :)
Your LasPlas do cost a few points and their weapons don't benefit from Vulkan. Rhinos would do.
Your Sternguard should be swimming in combi-meltas and heavy flamers.
If you have enough flamers elsewhere everywhere you can afford to switch out the ML for MM.

Alex

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:37:26 AM »
Assault terminators are good in the land Raider I would think about giving it extra armor though it's going to be a fire magnet and you want to get it on target delivering your terminators.

I would as the fellow above swap the razors for rhino's your not always going to want to combat squad.

I would lose the combi-melta's in favor of combi-flamers then switch the flamers for meltaguns. You will more often than not want more melta shots than you will want or get the opportunity to use multiple flame shots.

If your going to drop pod your sterns you might think about doing one of two things. Either diversify your weapons a bit with heavy flamer or some combi-plasma's to make them effective against more types of units (orks, terminators, monsterous creatures, multi-wound hq's allot) especially the guys with the saves of 2 or 3 or that have feel no pain cause Hell Fire sucks against these fools and taking a get's hot chance when you have to roll a 5 or 6 to wound cause your shooting str 4 is bad odds you will take as many hits on your own squad as you deal out.

The second option is lose the sternies altogether in favor of some Legion of the Damned. If your using them for suicide drop pods against armor (all comb-melta's in your current load out) they will have more lasting power and you can give them a MM and Meltagun, and combi-melta. The 3+ invuln will make them a great tar pit and force someone expend allot of energy getting rid of them. Oh and you get to reroll your scatter dice. Not to mention the relentless factor comes in handy. A Powerfist on a squad like this wouldn't be missed either.

Not a fan of the TH/SS spam I like to have lightning claws in there for when you just plain have to kill everything in arms reach of your terminators. The additional attacks is huge and re-rolling to wound with PW's against things like base marines, berzerkers, necrons, could be a game change allowing you to take out enough to break entire troop formations. The only thing I have ever seen the TH/SS spam work well for is tar pitting. Remember also you have vulkan rolling with these guys and for all intents and purposes that's like having a 3 wound terminator with a storm shield he makes a great meat shield for those termies.

Personally I would lose the Dread in favor of a MM Typhoon speeder. Your list lacks speed and range. The MM speeder you can deep strike it and pop something or work it along the flanks to take out armor. Or you can pop off the double missile shots every turn work as fire support. Little more mobility and versatility a great way to keep this fellow alive is by hiding him behind the Land Raider gives you a cover save and you should still be able to get line of site given the height of the speeder.

Offline Bannok

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
I'm not really keen on losing my dreadnought as I really love the model I've converted, this is my final list that I'm happy with it's mainly fluffy but should be sort of competitive, Id prefer missile launchers over Multi Meltas for my tactical squads as I don't have Multi meltas and the greater range of the missile launcher is more effective for me :)
Salamanders - 1500

Vulkan He' Stan - 195

Troops: 460
Tactical Squad - Combi-Melta - Meltabombs - Flamer - Missile Launcher - 180
Rhino - Extra Armor - 50
Rhino - Extra Armor - 50

Elites: 570
Dreadnought - Heavy Flamer - Lascannon - Extra Armor - 160

Sternguard - Power Fist - Combi-Melta (5) - 175
Drop Pod - 35

Assault Terminators - Thunder Hammer (5) - Storm Shield (5) - 200

Heavy Support: 265
Land Raider Redeemer - Multi-Melta - Extra Armor - 265

I have 10 points left over thoughts on what I should use them for? Maybe I'll swap Flamers for meltaguns and take Combi-Flamers though my sergeants already have combi-meltas.

Would losing the Flamers be too costly against armies like IG, Orks and Nids?

Or I can leave the 10 points for objective games and take razorbacks for that to increase my total scoung units and give them some extra support
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:32:53 PM by Bannok »

Offline ak-73

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Consider a single Heavy Flamer on the Sternguard. Not a must but nice for dropping behind the lines and taking out a bunch of lootas.

Yeah hordes might pose a problem for you.

Another possibility would be change one combi-melta to meltagun on one Sternguard. That way you remain a potential threat to nearby tanks after one round of shooting.

Converting Rhinos to Razorbacks might help a bit against hordes. You get to fire the Heavy Bolter and the ML of the combat squadded Tacticals.

Keep your Dreadnought in cover behind your LR (or out of range), it'll be a target.

Alex

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:51 PM »
In regards to the Combi-flamers I have found flamers are less useful than meltaguns and combi-melta's are equally as useful as combi-flamers.

The idea is that if your using your flamers your inside assault range and anything that is weak against flamers is good at assault (nids, orks) anything else that you can flame and beat at assault is usually inside an armored transport (Tau, Eldar, Dark Eldar). So against the armies where the flamers are most effective your usually only getting one shot off anyway before either you assault them or they assault you. Frankly Tactical squads can't live through that many brawls with Nids and Orks they will make you roll to many dice so either your whittling them down before they get to you and cleaning them up or your tar pitting with your tacticals either way 1 flame shot is really all you need.

As far as melta shots which can be shot from inside the Rhino and help you out against monsterous creatures, anti-armor, terminator/obliterators, etc and it helps to be able to open up the armored transports of the things you can assault and win against.

Just my experience in the games I have played used to run with the Combi-melta, flamer combo and always found myself with a spent combi-melta and a semi-useless flamer. Switched over to the Combi-flamer, meltagun combination and have never regretted it.