News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pts CAD - New Codex - 1st Game went great!  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
1500 pts CAD - New Codex - 1st Game went great!
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:49:19 PM »
So, I got to try out the latest codex today. It. Was. AWESOME! It hands-down spanks the life out of the Blood Angels codex. I can play a better beat-down list with Vanilla Marines than the BA's can. The fun part, for me, will be using my existing models as things that can actually damage my opponents. Such fun!

Anyhow, I tried making a couple of Gladius armies and I couldn't make it work. It forces me to use too many models I don't want, and the auxiliary choices are way too limiting to then allow me to take the one-or-two-of's that I want... so I'm rocking a CAD for the moment. I kept making a BD-C and winding up trying to squeeze points for a CAD so I could take the unit or two that I really wanted.

Something to note of my local meta... sit'n'shoot is dead. It's all moving, all the time. Move 12" and still fully functional is ideal. Something that sits, is something that... defecates in your oatmeal. Is what it is. To quote the wonderful Johnny Cash, "I really don't like it, but I guess things happen that way."

Anyhow, my list. We played the Scouring and wound up with an objective in each 2' square section of the board. *shrug* I went second.

White Scars tactics, because they work very well for assault focused lists, even without many bikes.

255 - Chapter Master Smash-Face: Power Fist, Artificer, Shield Eternal, Bike [Dude tanks like a real life tank would handle being hit with a baseball bat. Then blasts the dude with the bat with a cannon. Awesome! Ate 7 Battle Cannon Wounds, 7 Avenger Cannon Wounds, 2 Krak Missile wounds, a Stubber wound, and 3 Heavy Flamer wounds in one round. Lost 2 wounds. Good rolling, but still! Saved the bike squad's bacon.]

110- Chaplain: Meltabombs, Jump Pack [Joined Assault Squad, that hunkered down on a 4pt objective the whole game. Oh well, 4 VP is worth it!]

90 - Tactical Squad [5]: Plasmagun
80 - Razorback: TL Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade [Moved around in cover, firing away. Dozer Blades are crucial to getting a "safe" cover save.]

105 - Tactical Squad [5]: Flamer, Vet Sergeant, Power Sword, Meltabombs
80 - Razorback: TL Lascannon, Dozer Blade [Scooted forwards to an objective, then moved around in cover, firing away. Dozer Blades... yeah. Good. I probably should have switched the Razors around between the units.]

260 - Assault Squad [10]: 2x Flamers, 2x Eviscerators, Vet Sergeant, Power Sword, Meltabombs. [I love this unit! Good against anything. Fast. Choppy. Perfect fit for the Chaplain. I should have Combat Squadded them, sending a Flamer, Ev, and Serg to one, and a Flamer, Ev, and Chappy to another. They wound up doing nothing, as they were supposed to be a flanking squad that wound up on top of the 4 point objective in the Scouring. So technically they were winning the game, but no damage output.]

170 - Bike Squad [5]: 2x Grav Guns, Vet Sergeant, PFist [With Smash-Face in the lead, I could probably skip the sarge in favour of another bike, or a handful of points elsewhere. As it turns out, in the game I undervalued Artificer, so wound up being 10 points over... this would be where I trim first, I think. That said, he and Smash-Face dealt 5 HP to a Knight, a lucky "explode" gave me 3 HP, so then again...]

115 - Storm Talon: TL AsCa and Sky Hammer missiles [Just pure, vicious, anti-air. Sooooo good for the points.]

105 - Dreadnaught: Plasma Cannon [Moved up with advancing Razorback. Useful gun, fantastic beat-stick. Has base attacks equal to two Hammernators. Gets another on the charge, and then has a HoW hit. The model I always want to use is finally awesome!]

105 - Dreadnaught: TL Autocannon
  35 - Drop Pod: [The distraction Carnifex. Dropped down behind an ADL manned by scouts, just out of reach of a Knight. Enjoys splatting Scouts like proverbial flies, because the distraction couldn't be dealt with in time. Dreadnaughts are my new best friend. Like your buddy that's always awkward, finally learning some social skills, he's coming to the party!]

So it was pretty one sided... mostly because he was trying out a shiggles list on account of him beating me like I owed him money for the last few months. Ah... the pity list. Well pity no more, my friend! I'm very excited about this codex, and am looking forward to talking about it. Hiatus be damned!

Hit and Run is broken. Disgustingly broken. You can move anywhere, do anything. Combat you don't want to be in? Run away, and then shoot the bastards. Combat you want to be in? Run away, shoot the bastards, then charge back in! You can leverage all kinds of nearby shooting units to effectively increase your beat-stickery. You can pin a unit in place while a slower shooty unit gets into position, then *poof* you're out of combat, they're in LOS, you get to shoot them, and then beat them down again. It's gross. If White Scars had nothing else, I'd probably take them as a Beat-Down tactic of choice.

I'm still looking at the others, but they seem to be the stand-outs for Blood Angel style, assault-preferring lists.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 11:54:10 PM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500 pts CAD - New Codex - 1st Game went great!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
What were you playing against?

Also: Man, that Chapter Master was born under a lucky star!

Did your foot-slogging dreadnought get to do much? I'm curious how he fared (also one of my favorite units, and I'm also glad it finally got some love).

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 1500 pts CAD - New Codex - 1st Game went great!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
I was playing against another White Scar player, though only out of habit. No bikes, nothing notable to take strong advantage of the Tactics.

At 1500 points, he had a Knight Crusader, 2x 10 Man Sniper Scout Squads [Combat Squadded] and then a Storm Raven with Termie Chaplain and Assault Terminators. Also a Landspeeder. Aegis with Quad. I'm pretty sure that was it. Like I said, a pity list. ;)

He was trying a more defensive list than usual, by far. He had a low objective game in mind, or Purge the Alien. His strategy was to hold back, using the scouts to tie up anything approaching and then use his hammer units [Knight / Termies] to pound anything that got close. Late game, he wanted to surge forward with the faster units to claim / contest opposing objecitves. As it turned out, with most of the higher value objectives in my zone, he needed to advance, which didn't work. I was able to pick apart his advancing units, such that by turn 3... maybe 4? He only had one unit of scouts and the embarked Termies left. He conceded, aware that I still had my whole army left, and that he was in no position to contest multiple objectives.

It was, again, a soft list. He's been whooping me pretty badly the last little while. He wanted to try something different. :)

The Chapter Master passed a good deal more than averages should have allowed. Had he failed more saves early on, I would have been LoS'ing them to the body guards to take their Jink... but he passed so many saves early that I just kept having him tank them. The Gatling gun was resolved last, and that's where he failed his two saves. Had he failed some earlier, I wouldn't have taken so many saves on him. Better to be lucky than good, sometimes.

My foot slogging Dread moved up behind my Razor, for cover. It pegged a couple of scouts with the PC, but nothing otherwise. Against his typical Bike list, the idea was to have something resistant to Grav Weapons, that could punish him in CC [no jinking a 40 ton death machine's punch to the abdomen!] if he got too close. As White Scars have little reason to fear being locked in combat, he often shoots, charges, and if that fails, breaks off and tries again. The Dread should have made such a tactic less viable... but I won't know till next game if that will work. The higher attack value, coupled with the HoW hit make the current Dreads actual Combat threats, instead of just a tarpit plinking one model a turn.

My opponent mentioned that, with so many attacks, it did act as a melee deterrent for his Knight. Our experience is that Power Fists and their cousins are what takes down a Knight. Soften them with some shooting, but actually taking one down is pretty damned hard if you don't punch them in the face. Gets around the Invul. So having the Dread nearby discouraged him from his typical charge forwards, shooting and stomping everything that comes into range. The greater number of attacks had a strong "Stay away" effect for his units. It created a [small] area denial effect.

For the points? Fantastic. :D Great support for slow rolling units that are trying to get to mid-field.

I'm not saying I was a brilliant general, or anything. My opponent was going easy. My excitement from this experience is that I can see things that should work together, instead of a few stand-alone units that hit or miss by themselves. And there's still lots of good in the codex besides what I used, this was mostly to try out some models that I can *mostly easily* convert to a functional army quickly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:16:32 PM by Spectral Arbor »