News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Fire Prism  (Read 2193 times)

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
Eldar Fire Prism
« on: May 7, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I recently finished painting a fire prism to add to my Ulthwe Eldar army.  This model was sitting, unassembled in a box in my room for the last year.  I finally started painting it a few weeks ago.

I've magnetised the weapon options.  As with all of my Eldar tanks, I tookt he time to explore a little free-hand painting.

Enjoy!

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Eldar Fire Prism
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
G'day Malicant! WOW! You have some amazing skills, mate. The free handing is incredible. Their all so smooth and not a brush stroke in sight. The bone panel on one side and the red on the other is unique and looks good, and the prisms... Oh my! Those gems are in a class of their own, mate. Glad to see I'm not the only one who paints the canopy. Really glad you posted this beast, Malicant. Starting the morning with a class act to inspire is just the ticket... Cheers pointy ears!
« Last Edit: May 7, 2017, 07:33:21 PM by Saim-dann »

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2017, 10:01:17 AM »
That is glorious Malicant and to be honest all I can do is echo Saim-dann. Did you free hand the rune as well?

The white parts that you have painted are particularly striking as it is unbelievably bright, clean and crisp. Totally amazing.   
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: May 8, 2017, 01:55:09 PM »
Fantastic job. I love your execution of the runes and the energy/plasma effect on the gun. Great job on the magnetism too.

Offline malicant

« Reply #4 on: May 8, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »
Thanks lads; kind replies as always :)

The run on the right of the tank, the ogham symbol (it's a symbol of rebirth) was entirely free-hand.  The one on the left, the Ulthwe symbol, was a transfer, but I painted over it by hand.  I've done this on a number of projects int he past.  The transfer is an excellent guide/

I actually found the canopies and crystals very easy to paint.  The secret is this stuff:

Tamiya Mini X-26 Clear Orange 10ml Acrylic Paint - 81526 - £1.58

This paint dries into a smooth, clear and durable layer. It comes in a variety of colours, and I'm convinced that GW use this themselves (or something like it) for the canopies of the Fire Prism on the box of the model.

Another plus to using a tint for the canopies is that you dont' have to do much for the pilots inside.  I actually did paint them, but they're not really visible.

Thanks!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2017, 03:12:02 PM »
Love the work Malicant. Excellent freehand and attention to detail. This should be a great addition to/centrepiece for your ulthwe force.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline malicant

« Reply #6 on: May 9, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
Love the work Malicant. Excellent freehand and attention to detail. This should be a great addition to/centrepiece for your ulthwe force.

Thanks.  :D

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 01:16:26 AM »
Nice! Great use of color and space. Has a real "I'm a badass!" Feel. Clean and smooth detail.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Getting something out of storage and finished is so satisfying, it looks amazing!  Reminds me of the Ulthwe artwork from the old Craftworld supplement with your own twist.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.