News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: gah need some painting help  (Read 1580 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
gah need some painting help
« on: February 11, 2017, 11:54:47 PM »
OK, thus far I've avoided painting white because it turns into a ungodly mess.

So any one got tips on painting white sashes? Like the one on Yvraine...

The other thing is pale flesh, but not unhealthy/evil pale like Dark Eldar. I either end up being too pinkish or too dark.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: gah need some painting help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
When I do the robes on my Dark Angels, I start with several watered down coats of Ushabti Bone before doing 50/50 Ushabti / White Scar, with a final layer of straight White Scar

If you are looking for a more pure white kind of look, I believe the usual method is to paint from a light grey to a white.

As for pale flesh, are you looking for something like what I did in the pictures linked above, or did you want to go more pale?  Because I prefer to mix paints to get the tones I want, for me to get a more pale colour, I just add more white to the Kislev Flesh that I use.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
Hey bro. I've got a super easy way of doing white. Celestra Grey... Ceramite White. boom you are done. I hand painted the chevrons on my bikes doing that, white bits on my hornet rear wings, checkers, eagles, crux terminatus on my Dark Angels, etc.

I dont water it down or anything. Seriously Celestra Grey is a MUST have. You can even use Celestra Grey as a stand in for white. It so easy to use I do that a lot...

I also use it as the base to do my faces and what not. I paint the face all Celestra Grey and then do Kislev Flesh over the face for my Craftworlders, or Rakarth Flesh for my Dark Eldar.

Here's a few sample of my Celestra Grey to white...

This last one is just pure Celestra Grey with no white highlights. But you can see how close it is to white.

Anyway bud hope that helps! Feel free to ask as many questions as you may have. I know white is tough. Good luck!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
I was going to comment on this thread to help out, but the other guys have nailed it.

[/desperatelygoesoffsearchingforCelestraGrey]
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
Thanks Guys,

Ushabti looks rather close to the old bleached bone, I think that might be a good mix for another cloth piece I've got inthe works.

OK apparently GW has 25 greys..

Celestial grey on the web site looks a bit darker than than Ulthran grey. So base with Celestial, dry brush with Ulthran, and edge with white scar?

Has anyone used the Praxeti white or the Eldar flesh dry paints?

Just looking at their website, kisley flesh might be too dark, have yu used Pallid wych flesh orflayed one flesh?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
Has anyone used the Praxeti white or the Eldar flesh dry paints?

I have used them. Generally, I'd say that the dry paints are good when you have a very rough surface to work with. For smoother textures, I find it a lot easier to control how the dry brush is applied by using the 'wet' paints. Others may have had more success than me though.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 07:25:11 AM »
Hey Mage. Yeah I can't speak to Ulthran Grey. I'd imagine as you get closer to white the more layers you are gonna need, which is the tough part of making white look good. My advice is use as you few steps/layers as possible. Definitley give Ulthran Grey a whirl, but Celestra Grey is guaranteed win IMO.

Never used the Eldar Flesh dry paints either. If you want DE colored skin use Rakarth Flesh with Pallid Wych higlights.. Pallid Wych is the natural highlight for Rakarth flesh. But it is very, very sort of ghostly in appearance. I like it but I prefer Kislev Flesh... its what I always use for my guys.

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/