News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 6th edition  (Read 32166 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: 6th edition
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
So this digital copy makes my life much easier, I don't have to carry multiple books.  Now the idea of having the whole 40,000 data base at my finger tips is a reason to by more than just the books I use.

Ah, there's no guarantee that there will be an electronic version of the new 40K rulebook. We're mass guessing. This tablet you carry everywhere must also currently be an iPad else... well....

I can't say i agree with the whole decision in terms of marketability, but it fits with GW's decision to focus on milking people who already play, rather than trying to draw in new gamers.

Nothing has changed here since the previous few releases. What decision exactly are you frowning upon?

Edit: Insert quote links
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 08:23:11 PM by Dipsomaniac »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:48 PM »
With some of the changes that are supposed to be in the book, surely there must now be a change to the rules for apocalypse to come? As I can't imagine that super heavies will function correctly with all of the changes that are coming in

Thankfully a new LGS that will be owned and run by a previous GW manager is opening up near me and is offering the new rulebook for £36, I figured for once I'd actually buy the book to A) help his store stay, and B) because 20% off is always nice
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Ironclad

• We are the nothing.
  • Armies: Dark Angels
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
Well I'm getting the rulebook and the vehicle marker dice so I don't have to use regular dice as markers and I never liked the little plastic green markers anyway.  With the cards I'm looking at about $120 altogether which is absolutely no issue to me.  I mean I don't see why people still complain about the price of this hobby, I've been around since second edition and just shy of 20 years and it's always been an expensive hobby.  I don't feel the need to pay for the collectors edition and I will still buy the starter box set when it comes out.  I've always bought every one of them if not for all the extra models then also for the terrain.  I'm overly excited about 6th edition as I honestly hated 5th edition.  Happy gaming to everyone and sorry about the price for those of you who feel that matters.
Hell follows behind me...

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2012, 12:34:16 AM »
I think they beslubbered Up again.

No they've been very clever. In order to get the rules you have to buy the big book, and later to get a small portable version you have to buy a starter set. Think of all the stuff they would not sell to you with your idea.

Emphasis mine.

Except they're not selling it to me anyway. Nor are they selling it to those who can wait a few months and manage ebay or combined local buying. I was sure that there were others who wanted just the rules, but given that almost everyone who's posted here has pre-ordered, sight unseen, these new rules, I guess maybe that's just me. I honestly got less excited the more rumors were posted. I was hoping more for an Edition 5.5 I guess, something that patched the imbalances and exploits. But then, I started in 5th, and came to love 5th, now it feels like GW is abandoning that game. I'll wait and see what they look like (for 1/4the price of you lot) but I think I might shelve GW broaden my horizons and try other games.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2012, 12:40:34 AM »

No they've been very clever. In order to get the rules you have to buy the big book, and later to get a small portable version you have to buy a starter set. Think of all the stuff they would not sell to you with your idea.

Emphasis mine.

Except they're not selling it to me anyway. Nor are they selling it to those who can wait a few months and manage ebay or combined local buying. I was sure that there were others who wanted just the rules, but given that almost everyone who's posted here has pre-ordered, sight unseen, these new rules, I guess maybe that's just me. I honestly got less excited the more rumors were posted. I was hoping more for an Edition 5.5 I guess, something that patched the imbalances and exploits. But then, I started in 5th, and came to love 5th, now it feels like GW is abandoning that game. I'll wait and see what they look like (for 1/4the price of you lot) but I think I might shelve GW broaden my horizons and try other games.

This pretty much happens always when there is a big rules overhaul.
My bro played 2nd ed, now still playing.
I started when 3rd ed was just fresh on the shelves.
He said 2nd->3rd was big big change...I've read the 2nd ed rule book a couple of times it is a big change.
3rd->4th was also a reasonable big change in the rules
4th->5th minor rules changes
5th->6th...we'll see. Will be playing it anyway as tournies will be using 6th.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2012, 01:52:01 AM »

Emphasis mine.

Between the rulebook costing £45, a boxed game likely costing around £50-70, and the number of customers who would buy the boxed game for more than just the small rulebook, I don't think GW are being silly at all. They're a business. The boxed games have always represented a decent bargain. That you just want the small rulebook and are complaining loudly about it smacks of entitlement. To paraphrase Hymirl, think of all the money they wouldn't make by selling the small rulebook separately, and think about the fact that 40K is more than just model soldiers and dice-rolling.

FWIW, I don't see where you're getting the word "abandon" from, either. Sure, 5th will be old hat after 6th rolls in, but most of the rules will probably port over fairly smoothly. I doubt it'll be like the transition between 2nd and 3rd that changed the game entirely and invalidated everyone's Codexes in one fell swoop.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:01 AM »
But then, I started in 5th, and came to love 5th, now it feels like GW is abandoning that game. I'll wait and see what they look like (for 1/4the price of you lot) but I think I might shelve GW broaden my horizons and try other games.

You'll survive. We've been through this before with equally or even more traumatic changes in the rules considering Rogue Trader compared to even 5th. If this is the deal breaker to you, then good luck and good gaming in the future. Abandoning the game? Seriously?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Rip of Zahr-Tann

• Autarch of the Brown & Black Attack
  • Armies: Zahr-Tann, Poisoned Tongue, Sa'cea Sept
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 03:14:16 AM »

This pretty much happens always when there is a big rules overhaul.
My bro played 2nd ed, now still playing.
I started when 3rd ed was just fresh on the shelves.
He said 2nd->3rd was big big change...I've read the 2nd ed rule book a couple of times it is a big change.
3rd->4th was also a reasonable big change in the rules
4th->5th minor rules changes
5th->6th...we'll see. Will be playing it anyway as tournies will be using 6th.

Having observed 40k since the 2nd edition, I reckon this could be the biggest sea change in the rules since the move from 2nd to 3rd.

I'm just looking forward to the Eldar finally getting updated.

The thing I want to know most is, how are Fire Dragons doing this edition?
"You call our technology witchcraft because you do not understand anything beyond the ancient designs your ancestors used. You kill anything that does not conform to your hideous and narrow view of the galaxy. You blunder into every trap set along your path because you refuse to look into the future and consider every consequence. How your species inherited the stars is a mystery beyond our understanding." - Autarch Narios Starblade of Zahr-Tann

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 03:37:04 AM »

By 'this edition' do you mean 5th? Because, technicly, the era of 6th edition has not yet begun. If 5th... Well... a quick look at the Eldar Tactics board will give you an indication.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Rip of Zahr-Tann

• Autarch of the Brown & Black Attack
  • Armies: Zahr-Tann, Poisoned Tongue, Sa'cea Sept
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:52 AM »

By 'this edition' do you mean 5th? Because, technicly, the era of 6th edition has not yet begun. If 5th... Well... a quick look at the Eldar Tactics board will give you an indication.

No, I mean 6th.  I have heard rumours of fusion guns being turned into heat lance equivalents, which does not displease me.
"You call our technology witchcraft because you do not understand anything beyond the ancient designs your ancestors used. You kill anything that does not conform to your hideous and narrow view of the galaxy. You blunder into every trap set along your path because you refuse to look into the future and consider every consequence. How your species inherited the stars is a mystery beyond our understanding." - Autarch Narios Starblade of Zahr-Tann

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 05:28:44 AM »
Except they're not selling it to me anyway. Nor are they selling it to those who can wait a few months and manage ebay or combined local buying. I was sure that there were others who wanted just the rules, but given that almost everyone who's posted here has pre-ordered, sight unseen, these new rules, I guess maybe that's just me.

The hardback book will sell by the shed load, people will want the rules so they can start playing. And regardless of buying parts of a starter set off ebay it was still a sale made by GW.

I honestly got less excited the more rumors were posted. I was hoping more for an Edition 5.5 I guess, something that patched the imbalances and exploits. But then, I started in 5th, and came to love 5th, now it feels like GW is abandoning that game. I'll wait and see what they look like (for 1/4the price of you lot) but I think I might shelve GW broaden my horizons and try other games.

Well I've been playing since 3rd edition, and I can tell you that people said exactly the same at the end of 4th edition too. And before that the end of third edition was the end of the world too. Given a couple of weeks no-one will care much about 5th anymore and unless you only play with your father/son in your front room where it doesn't matter what rules you use then playing with 6th edition is pretty much the accepted standard.

Basically it's not all about you being a stick in the mud, what's happening and the release method happens every 5 years. And to be honest most the basic rules will be the same.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 05:42:23 AM »

No, I mean 6th.  I have heard rumours of fusion guns being turned into heat lance equivalents, which does not displease me.
We don't know, and even if we did we wouldn't be allowed to tell you.

This honestly sounds rather premature and more like something to be discussed when they redo Codex: Eldar  :-\

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 06:20:20 AM »
Except they're not selling it to me anyway. Nor are they selling it to those who can wait a few months and manage ebay or combined local buying. I was sure that there were others who wanted just the rules, but given that almost everyone who's posted here has pre-ordered, sight unseen, these new rules, I guess maybe that's just me.

I don't really see what the problem is here.  If you just want the rules, you buy the hardback book when it comes out on 30th June like everyone else who doesn't want to pre-order.  The other elements of the rulebook which you claim shouldn't be there for gamers are entirely subjective.  I like the additional elements in the book, as they make it a more worthwhile investment.  Rules may change with every edition, but the hobby sections, scenarios, and background entries can still be referred to in the future long after the rules have ceased to be relevant.

I honestly got less excited the more rumors were posted. I was hoping more for an Edition 5.5 I guess, something that patched the imbalances and exploits. But then, I started in 5th, and came to love 5th, now it feels like GW is abandoning that game. I'll wait and see what they look like (for 1/4the price of you lot) but I think I might shelve GW broaden my horizons and try other games.

This happens with every edition change, but your comments remind me, in particular, of the change from second to third edition, where so many people who I knew claimed that the extent of the change was a disaster, and would be the end of 40K.  I got sucked into that mentality myself, until one friend who did opt to play third edition talked me through the rule changes and persuaded me to play, and I soon came to realise that I'd made a mistake.  Ever since then, I've been much more laid back about edition changes.

Of course, it's up to you whether you wish to continue with the game, but my advice to you is not to throw the baby out with the bath water when you haven't even read the new rules or played a game.  Wait for the rulebook to be on display in your local store, take a trip down there, and then read it before you make any decisions, and then try having a game or two before you make a final decision  :).

I'll wait until the official release date to buy the new rulebook.  My only difficult decision will be where to get it from.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 06:21:29 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2012, 06:22:52 AM »

They will be a short range high firepower unit good for attacking tough targets like vehicles and monsters. I dont really get your question to be honest.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2012, 07:02:35 AM »
There's a few sites in the uk offering the book for £35 instead of the standard £45 but I'm an impatient git and suspect that I'll drive to a GW store and pick up a copy when their doors open :-[

Here's hoping the big book will have lots of interesting and useful stuff in the back of it as I suspect it wont see much use once the small paperback version is available.

Still it looks nice and I think its actually quite reasonably priced for such a large and good quality book, just compare it to similar sized roleplaying or text books.

On the subject of GW selling a separate small paperback version, give it up! It would be very bad business and they would never consider it as they want to make money. I don't like the constant random price rises but I have no problem with how they sell the base rules of the game as I'll be buying both the BrB and the starter set and think that both aren't bad value for money.
Putting up the cost of all their terrain by 30% two weeks before introducing new rules to encourage their use, now that I don't like >:(

Offline Rakuall

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »
Wait for the rulebook to be on display in your local store, take a trip down there, and then read it before you make any decisions, and then try having a game or two before you make a final decision  :).

Sound advice, and that was my basic plan.

Seems like most had a similar state of mind to mine during their first edition change, so I'll definitely wait it out and see what 6th brings.

And to everyone everyone explaining why the paperback will never be sold separately: I know. The Eldar have a whole wishlisting thread, let me have one post?
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:32 PM »
Rakuall, as others have said, we all sympathise with you, because we've all been there. Your first Edition-Change is kind of like your first breakup. It seems like the end of the world, you'll never love someone (in this case something) as much again, etc. 99% of the time, you get over it, and the track record with edition changes have been rather good over the years. Much better than the average track record with breakups.

Worse case scenario, you don't like the new edition. Thats fine. You can still play 5th edition with your friends (though depending on where you game, the 'Man' may get you down). I know my brother and i recently hauled out the ol'3rd edition and played a game with those rules. I somehow suspect it'll be many years before i feel nostaligic enough to go through THAT again, but just because the game moves on, doesn't mean you have to.

The likelyhood of a new edition ruining 40k (or Fantasy for that matter) is pretty slim. If anything, it'll be the constant price increases and lack of overall vision which does the game, and the hobby, in.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »

What you have basically said is that I got un-excited by stuff that other people wrote about something that they have never seen.

It is EXACTLY this mentality why GW now have a scorched earth policy regarding rumours. They run the tightest ship ever and fire on sight if a staff member is found to be dishing out secrets. Everyone complains that they don't get enough rumours, but the point is that because you read some random rumours you've made a decision that you don't like the rules... it's a ridiculous situation really, and exactly the reason why GW are proved right in their current policy.

Unfortunately, it is probably quite a natural reaction. You read part of a RUMOURED rule that you don't like and so make a judgement. But the point is that it is only PART of a rule, taken out of context and without actually getting to read how the rule works in itself or the grand scheme of things. And of course, that it is only a RUMOUR, and may or may not actually be true!?!

It is one of the reasons why I try, as much as possible to steer clear of rumours and rumour sites... particularly regarding rules... beause to make judgement you have to read them for yourself.

One thing that I heard people saying was that this new edition will ruin 40K like the latest edition of fantasy ruined that game. The truth is that fantasy became no less fun or exciting to play, but it threw a spanner at the WAAC players and it was them that were complaining!

If a new edition of 40K gets rid of more morons then it'll be a happy day!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
I was sure that there were others who wanted just the rules, but given that almost everyone who's posted here has pre-ordered, sight unseen, these new rules, I guess maybe that's just me.
Not just you Rakuall, I have stated a few times in other posts that generally I am not interested in the fluff aspect of the game. I will be waiting for the starter set. I might even wait until a starter set rule book appears on ebay.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Rakuall

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »
Not just you Rakuall, I have stated a few times in other posts that generally I am not interested in the fluff aspect of the game. I will be waiting for the starter set. I might even wait until a starter set rule book appears on ebay.

It's not so much that I'm not interested in the fluff at all, it's that what thirst I do have is quenched by the codices I buy, and by sites like Lexicanum. I can't justify the extra $50-75 bucks for something that I can almost get for free.

@Oink
Fair point. And that's why I will try the rules before declaring the game ruined forever, and perhaps I will make an effort to avoid the rumors when 7th starts to roll around. It's not all rumors that drain my enthusiasm though, I quite like the army rumors, and have just about started an army or two based on rumors alone.