News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40K Sixth edition "leak" - Ooooh nurse!  (Read 21864 times)

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
40K Sixth edition "leak" - Ooooh nurse!
« on: January 11, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
So yesterday a supposed copy of the rules for 6th edition leaked onto the web alongside codex updates for all but the newest armies to work with the rules.

From what I've seen they look very legitimate being 150+ pages of coherent (and quite interesting) rules.

So my question is are we allowed to discuss them here on the forum?

Changed subject line - Rummy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:43:20 PM by Rummy »

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Leaked 6th edition Rulebook and Codex updates
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
You should of course apply the caveat that we don't know where this came from so we don't know the "officiality" of it all.

Indeed, the complexity implied by SOME of the rules seems to go very much against what we've seen from GW. I came across one bit which suggested fractional maths... and that is something I can't believe.

However, I do like the added complexity of the rules and the introduciton of rules... including the "reintroduction" of things such as the fact that it is easier to shoot something if they are stationary, and it gets progressively harder the faster they are moving!

other things are nice, such as the fact that special rules are grouped at the end of the relevant section of the rules... so movement special rules / abilities are all found at the end of the movement section and so on. Reading through things you can also see that previous FAQs have been taken on board and the rules are explained very clearly.

There are some things which might suggest this is NOT official... but many of them could well be explained by the fact this is not at the graphic layout stage... Need to get home to have a good old read but what I will say is:

It's basically a completely different game.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
Re: Re: Leaked 6th edition Rulebook and Codex updates
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
I'm devouring the rules as I write this, really liking them so far.

Streamlined to get rid of some of the old annoyances but also alot more in-depth in places, if it is a hoax then its a damn fine one.

As O:nk said the rules are presented in a much clearer format using keywords and USR's more than before and much more precise language to help avoid confusion and rules clashes, reads alot like a M:TG rulebook which is no bad thing from a clear and precise rules perspective.

It appears from the opening few paragraphs that the rulebook (that has been leaked) is the advanced version of the rules and it eludes to a simpler form of them that you may wish to have a few games with first.
I'd speculate that the simpler form of the rules may come in the starter set meaning there's actually a reason to buy the expensive giant book.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:44:45 PM by WisdomLS »

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
I like what I have read enough that if this is a hoax, I want to play it anyway.  I can't wait fo rmy lunch break so that I can really dig into them.  I am curious to see what the support actions can do.

I think O:nk said it best.

This is a completely different game. 

Offline Shadows Revenge

• The All Knowing
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Raven Guard
Re: 40K sixth edition leak - Can we discuss?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »
From what I have read so far, GW should hire this guy imediately.

They are really well written, and cover a ton of problems that come up in everyday play of the game. That is one thing Ive always wanted from GW, comprehensive rules and rulings. It gives me high hopes that GW is watching and learning a few things before they release 6th

Edit: Forgot to mention its from 4chan... that means somewhere in their basement a troll is lolin about his accomplishment.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:16:57 PM by Shadows Revenge »

Offline Commissar Fuklaw

• Did anyone order pie? How about just the plate?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
It appeared first on 4chan, and was reposted roughly simultaneously by accounts with old registration dates/times but no posts on several other community forums. I think it is legitimate, was intentionally released by GW (though they'll deny it if we ask), and we are meant to discuss it and attempt to "break" it to appease/help our GW Overlords in making a quality product.

People on another forum that is named after the word that Orks use for machine guns firing claim that /tg/ made the whole thing up, but honestly, even /tg/ isn't that organized. And it's not April 1st.

Some highlights:
Wound allocation abuse is fixed in two ways -- wounds are allocated based upon save values instead of wargear, and the Patch Up consolidation which means multiwound units have to shift wounds around even if means abandoning injured soldiers (but you also get to heal some multiwound models!)
You can use Flamers to shoot into transports, which fixes IG Meltavet Chimera Spam.
Monstrous Creatures are a lot harder to tarpit.
Vehicles are much easier to hit.
Rail weapons use the "line" effect of Jaws of the World Wolf and the Doomscythe's Death Ray.
The Sonic Weapons used by Noise Marines are Rail type weapons.
You can use pistols in Assault with a different profile.
Assault Phase now comes before Shooting Phase.
There is an Assault Move that can made immediately following a Deep Strike, but it doesn't get Charge bonuses (this explains some of the weirdness with Necron CC units)
Power Weapons with no other special powers confer a 5++ "parry" invuln save.
Overwatch is back!
If a unit Deep Strikes or Infiltrates within 12" of a unit, the unit that's about to get assaulted gets to make a Defensive Shot against the Deep Striking unit.
Deep Strikers do not scatter if they are more than 18" away from an enemy. This, as you might imagine, fixes a lot that's bad about Codex Chaos Daemons, and makes Deep Strike flyers such as Valkyries and Stormravens a lot more fun.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:24:54 PM by Commissar Fuklaw »

Offline Capamaru

• I talk England very best...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »
Well many things are different.

Starcannons are cheaper and now are S7.
Assault weapons are almost useless unless they come up with some other rule.
Witchblades provide save re rolls  ;D
Happy 18" charging banshees.
Skimmers on the other hand aren't that hard to hit with their evasion of 3 but get to shoot twice even when moving cause they are fast.

Anyway rules seem great and the added complexity is exciting! :).

[gmod]Offer to distribute material removed.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:45:50 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
Diplomacy is the art of saying Nice Doggy until you can find a rock...

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
I know we all wanted a more complex rules system, but I think this sounds like too much.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »
It sounds a little more complex at first but it's written so much clearer and in much better and more consistent language that I think people will get it pretty quick.

Wound allocation, Instant death, vehicle damage all seem fairer, faster and more interesting.

Similar to fantasy there are a load of new keyworded abilities that replace special rules from various codex's making them fit better with the new rules.

The more I read the more I like and the more real I think (and hope) it is.

If this does turn out to be real,
Firstly how would we know other than waiting for the actual book?
and secondly how do you think GW will respond? Bring it forward, put it back, change it.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
I know we all wanted a more complex rules system, but I think this sounds like too much.

It sounds like 2nd edition: almost every time a new element is introduced in the pdf it had a similar rule in 2nd edition. ::)

Sounds like it is house rules document made by someone who misses the old days of strangled rules-writing and overcomplicated designs. Not to mention the convoluted language often employed and the odd signs that it isn't meant to work like a regular rulebook, I'd say it is fanmade or at worst a rough early draft of a playtesting manual.

Offline Mr Joe Moose

• The Green Marine
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
When you see all the changes listed out, it seems terribly complex.  That said, it doesn't seem that hard as you read through it.  A lot of the changes are along the lines of " well why can't I do this?"  Now you can.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:53:45 PM »
That doesn't remove the fact that the changes are based so much on 2nd edition, which, to me, makes it very doubtful that it is a genuine document of its supposed nature but instead suggests fanmade in my opinion. Or it could be made by GW for amphetamine parrots and giggles, we will most likely never know the origin but I very much doubt it is a rough document of the upcoming rulebook for the next edition.

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
I agree that some of the rules do seem to hark back to some of the earlier rules sets but they are so much more streamlined.

It could well be fan made but the clean layout, examples, references, fluff nods inside the rules and just the sheer amount of text and thus work that has gone into making this really makes me think it is legit.

I've read a large section of it so far and it does have a few typo's and such but I can't really fault the rules as yet from a technical standpoint, they all make sense, work with each other and are very clear.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 02:10:44 PM »
It could well be fan made but the clean layout, examples, references, fluff nods inside the rules and just the sheer amount of text and thus work that has gone into making this really makes me think it is legit.

Which is probably what you would do if you wanted to produce a fake document, it is after all the most obvious part. ;)

Don't get your hope up is basically what I am saying, beyond the actual workload of producing such a document there is little that actually speaks for it being genuine and a lot that speaks against it.

Offline Commissar Fuklaw

• Did anyone order pie? How about just the plate?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
This level of quality and playtesting would be next to impossible for a fan to create. The rules are very specific and take into consideration every Codex, fixing glaring problems with each one.

If this is not legitimate, then I want to play this instead of GW's product, and I want the creator to make their own game.

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
The shift in turn phases really helps the shooty armies especially combined with overwatch. Having 2-4 shooting attempts before cc means GW dont have to over power guns to compensate for poor cc lists.

@ capamaru, could you pm them to me please
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline High Grandmaster smithmyster666 of the Grey Knights

• Strike from the skies brothers!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not believing most of this, although a lot of it 'makes sense' I thought GW's general rules direction favoured simplicity? So ill stick with the idea that one or two old rules will go, and one or two new ones will come in, rather than this drastic overhaul, this looks more like its trying to return to second edition, which just seems altogether wrong
From the skies we rain, as the emperors fist we strike against our foes, until all blood be it alien, heretic or mutant is spilled. we will not rest until the galaxy is cleansed free of these monstrosities and we hold these worlds in the name of humanity and its immortal emperor.

Offline Benis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
This level of quality This level of quality and playtesting would be next to impossible for a fan to create. The rules are very specific and take into consideration every Codex, fixing glaring problems with each one.

Is it? does it? Given its recent arrival you must have exceptionally skill at validating balance and the context for the rules quickly. To me it looks puckered with unnecessary rules and mechanisms that have strange interactions or are plain weird, a lot of the changes are imported ideas from 2nd edition, certain choices of words strike me as odd (alpha strike? really?) and some rules contain ambiguous grammar or are far too much in a colloquial language. Basically it reads like it is fanmade, perhaps by a gaming group to use as house rules or by someone who simply wants to put his vision of how 40k ought to work on paper. It isn't badly made or stupid or anything, but that doesn't make it genuine either.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »
The rule set in the leaked rulebook are quite different from what we have so far. The game dynamics will be completely changed. There are rules for flyers and the BS is no longer the only factor when it comes to hitting via shooting. There are stages of fearlessness and monstrosity, and whatnot. Hardly believable. But this book is too elaborate to say that its pure fiction.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 05:51:46 PM »
I think I might be able to explain the seeming complexity.

When you write something, you often write more than you need, in more words, and it might seem pretty complex. If this is a leaked copy, perhaps it's not totally proofread and refined. In essence, they thought of the rules, just not simplified them through editing/proofreading. Perhaps, I haven't seen them.

Although I am waiting on making any large purchases until 6th ed comes out...
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.