News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What is your favorite CC unit?  (Read 22985 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: What is your favorite CC unit?
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
I am a big fan of chaos spawn. They are fast-ish, many wounds, many attacks and high strength and toughness. If only I had enough chaos marines to actually let me legally field spawn, I would be golden.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Bannedface666

• BANNED - Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | Archite
  • Artist for hire... Mostly banned :)
    • cubiclebattles
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2008, 12:14:58 AM »
Wyches, hands down.

Bless their evil, evil souls :)

Offline Joshiantor 98

• Ork Boy
  • Gir now also dances better than you!
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2008, 04:23:30 AM »
In two years of playing my 5 man meganob squad led by Gazhgrull in a trukk has only lost two combats so i have to go with meganobz. Anything wihtout a power weapon will have a hard time taking them down especially when they are equipped so you can skorcha or rokkit the squad first. Also getting a couple of large squad of sluggas or shootas to swarm over an gun line is great and very satisfying.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2008, 05:37:10 AM »
Since i watched a battle from a friend of mine, i have to say an archon with drugs, shadowfield, trophy racks, punisher. In that game his archon was in combat with a carnifex, a tyrant and a couple of genestealers. Since his shadowfield was already down, he said something along the line of "oh, what the heck" and continued to roll for 5 drugs. No doubles appeared, and he lived to do it twice. The Archon still died at the end, but not before taking the genes and the carnifex with him  :P

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline insane0018

• Jack's Painting
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »
I would have to say either a full 10 man khorne Brezerker Squad or the 4th edition space marine librarian with warptime, power weapon, and a 2+ 5+

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »
i love my Nobz squad - 10man with 'eavy armour, 2xPK's, painboy and the whole caboodle in a trukk

sure its costs a fair chunk but only once has it failed to pull its weight ::)
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:11 PM »
As CRAZY as this might sound, my favorite are Plague Marines, including a Champion with a Powerfist.

WHY, you might ask?  Because I've munched Assault Marines (with a Chaplain attached), Howling Banshees, Dreadnoughts, and several other things with them.  They may not be the best CC troops, but I like them because they simply outlast most units my opponents throw at them.

Now, for killyness I would have to say Khorne Berzerkers.  I paired them up with my Plague Marines, using them to counter-charge anything that assaulted the PM's.  They wiped out Meganobz, Terminators, and a variety of other things, thanks to their high number of attacks, above average weapon skill, and Furious Charge.   ;D
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
I would have to say either a full 10 man khorne Brezerker Squad or the 4th edition space marine librarian with warptime, power weapon, and a 2+ 5+
You do know the Librarian never had to purchase power weapon right?

Offline HectorVictorious

• The next sentence is true. This sentence is a lie.
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:13 AM »
I don't think he said that it did.
The next sentence is true.  This sentence is a lie.

Offline Fafnir

• Ork Boy
  • tied and gagged in the back of your car
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2008, 01:48:18 AM »
Now, I've never used him in combat yet, but damn, the Grey Knight Grand Master's ability to cause rule-defying instant death sounds pretty freaking awesome. Especially since he can do it 5 times(6 with CC weapon) on the charge.

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2008, 07:05:28 AM »
Guard Rough Riders with Lances.

Sure, Guard countercharges are only ever grasping at straws, but these particular straws are tipped with explosives!

With multiple high S, High I power weapon attacks on the charge, Rough Riders are one of the most cost-effective CC units in the game. They've killed enire units of Grey Knight Terminators, Necron Warriors, Plague Marines and Death Company for me.

No one expects a Guard charge, so your Rough Riders will be very unsettling to any MEQ assault untis that make it to your lines.

Sentinels also get an honourable mention. I once held up another Guard HQ all game, then in another killed a unit of Daemonettes. Nobody expects a tenacious Sentinel.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline BubbaMack

• Adamantium Beer Gut!!
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
My favorite CC unit.......Dark Reapers.  The best way to survive CC is to avoid it all together ;D ;D.   But seriously, I would have to say Harlequins full up with Kisses, Shadow Seer with Kiss and Troupe Master with Power Weapon.  All that rending, I6, and no one looks better doing it!!!!  It may cost a pretty penny but it almost always holds it's own.
...but I could be wrong.

Offline HectorVictorious

« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
Now, I've never used him in combat yet, but damn, the Grey Knight Grand Master's ability to cause rule-defying instant death sounds pretty freaking awesome. Especially since he can do it 5 times(6 with CC weapon) on the charge.
He can't.  As far as I know, you can only use one psychic power per turn unless specified otherwise. 

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
He can't.  As far as I know, you can only use one psychic power per turn unless specified otherwise.
I believe there is a piece of wargear which allows him to do just that once per game.

Offline Drizzle

« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
5th ed?
My "205" Demon Prince. Mark of Tzeentch, Wind of Chaos, Warptime, Wings.

18" threat radius, powerweapon-flamer that re-rolls to-wound, re-rolls all hits and wounds at WS7 S6. Ignores FnP and 2+ saves, strikes at I5... he eats whole squads at a time.

4th?
Demon Prince with Stature, Speed, Strength, Dreadaxe, Mutation, Furious Charge. Usually hit at I6,WS 6, S7, T5, 5 attacks that allowed no saves of any kind; had fleet and a 12 inch charge. Every now and then i'd give him demonic aura, because he quickly had every heavy weapon in the game pointed at him. I really miss him.

I'm big on nasty CC demon princes.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely, but only Chaos gives you eyes inside your mouth.
I also do agree with Sanctjud with what he is saying.

A typo, sure, but still eerily accurate...
(Sentinels are) "A heavy weapons team on stilts and raped in plywood" if you were.

Offline HectorVictorious

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2008, 11:59:47 AM »
Actually, Raktra, his Nemesis Force Weapon counts as a normal Force Weapon.  It's just a matter of how many times he can use it, which I believe is only once per turn.

Offline Jester (Hadn't Changed His Profile Recently)

• I put the ass in assault.
  • Armies: The legions of pantslessness.
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »
Daemonettes. On the charge I get to roll an entire thing of chessex dice. Twice. Dreads, and monoliths survive that.
The Tavern is dead. Long live The Tavern.

Offline Black Hawk

• Captain
  • "Men of Tanith! Do you want to live forever?"
  • Armies: IG, DH, HE, Gondor
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
Here are my top 3 since I cannot decide.

1) Grey Knight Grand Master with a full retinue of Terminators, who knows what destruction they'll leave in their path.
2) Death Company because I just think they're insanely awesome.
3) Howling Banshess just because of they're extremely high I and the number of power weapon attacks they get is very scary.

Offline Greg23

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:30 PM »
4th?
Demon Prince with Stature, Speed, Strength, Dreadaxe, Mutation, Furious Charge. Usually hit at I6,WS 6, S7, T5, 5 attacks that allowed no saves of any kind; had fleet and a 12 inch charge. Every now and then i'd give him demonic aura, because he quickly had every heavy weapon in the game pointed at him. I really miss him.

I miss 4th ed, too.  :'(.

Mech Biel Tan armies packed with Striking Scorpions and Banshees.  Swooping Hawks EDS that could decimate marines in hth.  15 man Seer Councils that really didn't need Eldrad.  Black Stormies with WS5 and frag-krak grenades.

Striking Scorpions, Swooping Hawks, Seer Councils, and Stormies are now just a shadow of what they once were.  :'(

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:45 PM »
Actually, Raktra, his Nemesis Force Weapon counts as a normal Force Weapon.  It's just a matter of how many times he can use it, which I believe is only once per turn.
Yeah I know, but I think the DH army list has a piece of wargear that let's you take as many psychic tests as you wish once per game.