News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lighting for painting  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Lighting for painting
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »
So I am in the process of redoing my bedroom and am going to buy a few new lighting fixtures to go with the ones I already have. I thought I may as well replace the old bulbs as well and was just curious if their is a specific type of light I should purchase to help with painting. If it doesn't really matter I will just get energy efficient bulbs.

Ceers!
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Lighting for painting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:13:22 AM »
I find LED lights work best. Has a clean bright light, and doesn't generate nearly as much heat as bulbs. I bought a LED lamp at wallmart, and it has a bendy neck and I can clip it anywhere on my desk. Works pretty well for me.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
G'day Brash!
If your painting during the day, then normal globes will do as the daylight reveals the true colours of the paint your using. If you paint during the night, then the artificial light will distort the colours slightly.

You may think you've finished the models in the style you want. Then you will notice a difference when gaming during the day. It's not a big difference but big enough for me to use day globes, (or craft globes in some countries), to bring out the true colours at night.

As I say it's not a big difference, however, if you paint during the day and night you will notice a difference when mixing colours if you don't use a day globe. So! If you don't paint at night and/or you don't mix colours, then just your standard globes will do... Be well!   

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
Swim-Dan has got the right of it. Day bulbs are the way to go. Grab a standard angle poise lamp which can take a day bulb and go from there. If you can get a course or of lamps, it will eliminate shadow and give you a far better environment to work in.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
Light manufactures can use slightly different terminology. Basically one is true white and the other is an off white as a yellowy or orange tinge, can also be referred too as a warm white.

The theory is the warm light is not as harsh on your eyes. A desk lamp with a true white light is the best for painting.