News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: So I've been working on a Tau 'Knight'...  (Read 2889 times)

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
So I've been working on a Tau 'Knight'...
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:15:24 AM »
I've been working on a Tau 'Knight' since last November(?). Anyhow, here's the latest. I'm looking for people's impressions with regard to whether this is a passable Imperial Knight Crusader:

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: So I've been working on a Tau 'Knight'...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:34:56 AM »
It has a very Mechwarrior feel to it.  Trying for the Crusader, I can see the resemblance in the weaponry.  You would have to clearly identify it to your opponent.  One thing you may run into as an issue is the placement of the weapons.  If I am not mistaken, the Crusader has both of the main weapons on separate arms.  By having the Thermal Cannon underslung, people may have issue with you being able to get a shot off you normally wouldn't have been able to.  I would recommend moving it to the opposite position of the Avenger.  That would place it, roughly, in the same spot as the arm would have it.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:29 AM »
"Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply..."

Most mechs in 40k are humanoid, with distinct legs, arms, head. This doesn't fit that mould. Maybe if you made the guns slung where the drones are held, it would get that humanoid-ish appearance?

I like the model well enough, but it doesn't fit my notions of 40k-style mechs.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »
I think this is brilliant. Rather than Imperial Knight though when I first saw it I thought what a brilliant Deadnought. That is because the first thing that came to me was how it really has the look of the old Space Crusade Dreadnought.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »
I think this is brilliant. Rather than Imperial Knight though when I first saw it I thought what a brilliant Deadnought. That is because the first thing that came to me was how it really has the look of the old Space Crusade Dreadnought.

That would be one big dreadnought lol. Look at the size of it on that oval base! I really like it. I see where spectral arbor is coming from with the whole humanoid thing but I don't think that matters at all it looks totally 40k to me. Like 40k meets robocop

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:46:39 PM »
The quote I made is from Robocop. The original, anyhow. The mech that doesn't recognize that the guy dropped the gun? ;) The model reminded me of that, also.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:21:01 PM »
I TOTALLY got the reference; ED-209!

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
Most mechs in 40k are humanoid, with distinct legs, arms, head. This doesn't fit that mould. Maybe if you made the guns slung where the drones are held, it would get that humanoid-ish appearance?

tbh that's what makes it work for me. Most Imperial walkers are very humanoid in silhouette but there’s no reason that an alien race would follow the same concepts. But then as they say: “In the eye of the beholder.”  ;)

One thing you may run into as an issue is the placement of the weapons.  If I am not mistaken, the Crusader has both of the main weapons on separate arms.  By having the Thermal Cannon underslung, people may have issue with you being able to get a shot off you normally wouldn't have been able to.

Sadly “Those people” are the ones that have helped kill off some of the amazing creativity that used to be in the hobby. I remember at one of the early GTs an Imperial Guard army that had been converted so every vehicle was a skimmer, it was an amazing army and not a single person even mumbled about how LOS or fire arcs had been changed. More and more over the last few year’s people have become more worried about being creative in case they run into people who have issues.  :-\

Anyway a cool conversion.  8)

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
Personally I'd be happy to let you blow me off the table with such a lovely model. I would even reward your creativity and modelling efforts with allowing it to count as a Battle Brother ally to your Tau. Of course, I'm in it all more for the fun and the hobby rather than winning, so...  ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
I think it looks pretty cool, myself. I wouldn't mine playing against it. At least, not anymore than I mind playing against any Imperial Knights.  :-\

Of course, I'm in it all more for the fun and the hobby rather than winning, so...  ;D

So should we all be! Hear, hear!

(though winning is nice)

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 09:12:55 PM »
Getting a learning game in today with it. Not surprisingly, Eldar still blow past most everything that gets put in their way. Might put it up as a battle report in a couple of days.

The Tau codex is really showing its age now--Broadsides aren't at least Slow and Purposeful? With Grav Cents walking and shooting gobs of AP2 all over the place you can't let Broadsides move a little? Tsk. Also: You get double punished for failing to Nova Charge (fail to get power AND take a wound)? Wow--Warp Spiders only lose a guy on Snake Eyes. Bleh

Thanks for all the replies, they are much appreciated. :)