News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: -VDR Contest-  (Read 965 times)

Offline Terradax

• DON'T DO IT! Killing yourself isn't popular anymor
    • Terradax's Blood Angels of the 3rd Company
-VDR Contest-
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:22:21 AM »
-Vehicle Design Rules Contest-
Space Marine Commanders, It’s time for a contest! I want all of you to use the Vehicle Design Rules and create a Space Marine Vehicle. Write down the rules for the Vehicle, name it, write some fiction for it (not necessary), and how to convert it or how you converted it. The winner will have its vehicle downloadable on my website (below) as a PDF file, with credits given, of course. The Webmaster will be the judge and his decision is final. The last chance to hand in your contribute is 2004-04-25. Note that I’m not looking for the most expensive nor the Cheesiest vehicle, but a cool vehicle, maybe a Razorback variant, Dreadnought or a tarantula. Mail your contributes to me at terradax@yahoo.com, with the title “VDR Contest”.

Offline Terradax

Re: -VDR Contest-
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2004, 10:13:16 AM »
ok, everybody reads it, but no replies.
Please guys, this is something I made just for fun.

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2004, 03:57:18 PM »
The Hellbringer:
First deployed by the Marines of The Emperor's Vengeance in 2047887M41, the Hellbringer was first deployed after a brutal battle alongside the Tallarn against Chaos cultists. An armour assault was planned to breach the Chaos lines, but vehicles were in short supply. The Tallarn had lost most of their Leman Russ battletanks, and only Rhinos and Vindicators were available to the Astartes. The solution was a stroke of tactical genius. Techmarines took Battlecannons from the damaged Lemans and mounted them on Rhino chassis, increasing the amount of available Ordnance. Over the course of the Campaign, these units were refined into Tank-Hunters, stalking and destroying enemy armour.

In practice, the Hellbringer proved to suffer in battle, as the ad-hoc recoil compensators could not cope with high rates of fire. This also made firing on the move near impossible. However, a few Hellbringers are maintained by the Marines of Vengeance, and have since been improved upon. Whether any other Chapters have begun producing them, or have made similar field convertions in the past, is still unknown.

Cost  Front Side Rear Bs
Hellbringer 115     13    11    10    4
Type: Tank (Heavy Support).
Crew: Space Marines.
Weapons: The Hellbringer is armed with a Tank-Hunter cannon. It has no other weapons.
Options: May take vehicle upgrades from Codex: Space Marines.
SPECIAL RULES:
Tank-Hunter cannon: Rng: 72" Str: 8 Ap: 2 Type: Heavy 1. +D6 penetration.

Converting the Hellbringer:
The Hellbringer is simple to convert. Simply make a tube (cardboard is ideal) and insert it into the Vindicator's gun-barrel, creating a longer, smaller calibre cannon.

Alternatively, you could attempt to convert an Earthshaker cannon or similar weapon onto a Rhino hull to represent an early model of the Hellbringer that has just been field-converted.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline Terradax

« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2004, 03:36:12 AM »
nice one! sounds really cool.

Offline Maggot Corpse

« Reply #4 on: February 6, 2004, 10:11:03 PM »
During the great wars of armagedon marines had to come up with fast new ideas to defete the hordes or orks.  One of them was the Armagedon Land Speeder.  With little ammo left for wepons like heavy bolters and the nearst shipment of ammo a few days away the marines needed ideas quick.  They decided to take a lascanon off of a armagedon setinal.  They then modified it slightly and put it on a land speeder.  This gave them a perffect vehical for quickly destroying drednaughts and other vehicals beffore they reached the imperial lines.

Rules

Type: Light Vehical, Skimmer,Small
Crew: Marines
Armour: 11 11 10
Wepons: Armagedon Lascannon
Options: None

Rules: Armagedon Lascannon
Str:9 AP:2 24" Twin Linked

Points 111

There is a very easy way to make this conversion.  Simply use some plastic card or spare pieces to armour up the front and sides of a land speeder.  Then take the hook up system and twinlink lascannons off of a landraider and cut the barels shorter.  Finesh by drilling a hole in the botom for the hook up system to fit in.  You may also want to trim off some of the hook up that hangs benth and doesent do anything.

Hope you all like it!
     Volume 3: The Subliminal Versus

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

• JESUS SAVES! Everyone else takes critical damage.
« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2004, 02:22:16 PM »
Well I am not a SM player but I do play IG. I have come up with a few VDR vehicles but this is my favorite. The MkI Imperial Tiger Heavy Tank

On the Forgeworld of Tigris III, the birthplace of the Vanquisher Cannon, a newly discovered STC for an ancient Heavy Battle tank was brought to the light from the confines of a drifting spacehulk. Work began on this "Heavy Tank" for the defense of the Forge World as it was almost to heavy to export in any great quantity. It  also had a more advanced targeting sweet than a Leman Russ making it harder for the standard guardsman to use and also, more prone to break downs as its weight scoffed the current powerplants in use by the imperium and caused overheating, drive shaft breakage and a host of other drive train related problems.

Originally the Laser Destroyer was going to be used in the design but the planet had to prepare the tank for immediate deployment for the repelling of an Ork invasion force that was descending on the solar system and the Vanquisher Cannons had already been built by the thousands for export and were ready to be put into action  immediately and thus was used. At the outset of the battle the tank was used as a "breakthrough tank" in conjunction with The Demolisher but the Imperial Tiger had trouble negotiating the same terrain as the Demolishers and found themselves bogged down or boxed into the narrow streets and corridors of hive cities and destroyed. However, as a tank that fights a stalling and controlled fallback maneuver in the open amongst its own kind this tank knows no equal. As its main gun (the Vanquisher Cannon) out ranges all of its contemporaries and its Thick (200 mm layered adamantium in the front) and deeply sloped armor will ignore all but the heaviest of weapons. Also at the extreme ranges these tanks fight most solid shot penetraters loose much of there kinetic energy and are ineffective.

Warboss Trakzbizz ,of the Blood Hand cult of speed, Writes in his book after the attack on tigris.    “Weeez iz da Boyz of da Summaz, Not dooz Ummies”.

“ Az me an my boyz wrounded da last hill da front trukk blew up real good. Den da next trukk brew up real real good. Den I gouldent belive it, den da next trukk brew up even closa to me. Den too moor trukks brew up. Den a battle wagon brew up. Den it hit me dat it waeznt da boyz modifkashins aktin up. Itdwaz da ummies and der shiny big tank shootin at uz. Cauze I seen it drive by lata after weez waz
out of trukks”.

It is important to mention that this is the only “paragraph” of the only Ork book known to the empire to  ever have been written. Ever. Emperor willing it will be the last. So yes you just read a book.

The tank is a departure from the practice of placing a lot of secondary armament as it would compromise this tanks heavy protection package and as such it requires a crew of only 5 to operate.

Even though there is no more than 50 of these in the universe still in operation they are prized by there units as gift from the Emperor himself. Also there are other forge world trying to copy the design and have met with limited success. These are simply known as Tigers. And while they lack the protection they do mount better fire power but no Targeting package.
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2004, 02:33:05 PM »
1 King Tiger Command Tank (Custom Vehicle) @ 248 Pts
Options for the hull:
     Tank; Speed: Lumbering

Armour Package:
     F:14    S:14    R:11

Armament:
     Vanquisher Cannon
     Hull mounted Heavy Bolter
     Turret mounted Hunter-Killer Missile
     Coaxl Storm Bolter
     All weapons BS:4 (Targeter)

"Sloped armour Pakage" Represented by the following.
     Extra Armour
     Track Gaurds
     Smoke Launchers
why it is usless to be lumbering ever since the new tank rules came out. It is in the fluff so I keep it around. "The tank is heavy so its slow."
"... of the liberty of conscience in matters of religious faith, of speech and of the press; of the trail by jury of the vicinage in civil and criminal cases; of the benefit of the writ of habeas corpus; of the right to keep and bear arms... If these rights are well defined, and secured against encroachment, it is impossible that government should ever degenerate into tyranny."

-James Monroe

Offline DUDEMAESTRO

« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2004, 02:37:09 PM »
It is a tameya 1:32 scale WW2 King tiger with all the upgraded for warhammer 40 k on the model I  used a pen tube and the muzzle break off an old russ veriant to make the vanq cannon. the rst of the guns glued on and I also put a tank commander in the copala from one of the new Russ kits. I have more if you guys wanna hear about them.

-James Monroe

Offline Angelus

• Jordan Nikolas; 07/29/03 @ 5:33am; 7Lb 11oz & 21"
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 08:44:01 AM »
I'm kinda curious on if the prize is the PDF file or if there's something more *confused look* LoL

Osprey Assault Craft                     166pts
FA 11
SA 11
RA 11

Skimmer, Agile

Weapons:  The Osprey Assault Craft is equipped with 2 forward firing heavy flamers, and 2 turret mounted storm bolters.

Options:  The Osprey Assault Craft may be upgraded with a heavy weapon turret from the following list:  Multi-Melta (+40pts); Missile Launcher (+25pts); Twin Linked Lascannon (+53pts); or Twin Linked Heavy Bolter (+30pts).

Transports: 10 Assault marines without jumppacks (10 marines)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Conversion Ideas:
May take a little putty work, but VDR is better with complete customization right? :P

Take a Rhino chassis, assemble the body but to not add the tracks or the sides that would hold the tracks.  Take the Tau Devilfish Engine sprue and add those engines to the sides of the Rhino.  Take two heavy flamer bitz and place on the center lower-hull of the Rhino's front, and place them close together.  This way you can fire them as a wave (templates side by side, touching) which is much more devastating.  Add a couple of Storm Bolters, and glue the "hatch" section from the Devilfish sprue to the underbelly of the craft.  If you don't like this idea, chop a hole and use the Rhino hatch on the bottom (or only use the rear hatch as an exit point)

For the upgrade turret weapons, the best thing I've found are the spare dreadnought arms that most marine players have sitting around anyway.  The Razorback roof-hatch is ideal if you have the Razorback bitz or some plasticard to patch the hole.  For the Dreadnought arms, I use a thumbtack, the ones with the long end, pushtack?  Chop the nub, pull out the needle and glue it to the patched hole on the Razorback panel.  This allows you to turretswap quite easily.

Elvis
elvisjenkins@eastlink.ca
Predator Space Marines
Wins: 35  Draw: 6  Loss: 2

1st Insane Regiment, 1st insane Company, 2nd platoon, 2nd squad
For the Angels of Exquisit

Offline Sergeant Neyac

« Reply #9 on: March 1, 2004, 02:57:36 AM »
Caisson                                     193pts.
                F 14
                S 12
                R 10

Weapons: 2 'Hurricane' Pattern Bolters, Storm Bolter.

Special Rules: Orbital Lander, Transport (10 Marines in power armour),  Fast.

Access Points: 1 (the rear hatch is the only access as the side doors have been replaced by the increased armament)

Fire Points : 0

This vehicle is intended for the sole use for Deathwatch kill teams so I made it be able to deep strike like the squad itself can.

Conversion:
    Really simple, all you need is a standards rhino (one of the nice new ones) & the sponson components from a Land Raider Crusader. To make simply construct the rhino as normal but leave the side doors off. It is then a simple matter of assembling the sponsons exactly the same way as for the Crusader and putting them on in place of the doors. You will need to cut off some of the ladder/step things on the side but thats pretty simple. When its all done paint it black, stick a Deathwatch pad on the gunner on the pinte mount & there you go.. one completed Deathwatch transport.
The only justifiable risk is one that can do more harm to the enemy then it can to you. All risks must be calculated in your favour. Otherwise, you are fighting for the enemy! - Tactica Imperium

Offline Samdan

• Cowboy, baby!
  • Ancient
  • Head... hurts... OH GOD! THE IDIOCY!
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2004, 07:07:15 PM »
neyac... the rule of thumb for armor for conversion vehicles is to use the same armour of the base vehicle, maybe +/- 1, but there is no way that you can pass off a rhino as front armour 14... you could pass off the side of 12 as armour bestowed by the sponsons, but only if you put the end caps on.
Quote from: Barr'El O'Rum
You'd be a good man Lom, if it weren't for the dead kittens and shrunken heads of the elderly that you keep in the glovebox of your car.

Offline Sergeant Neyac

« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2004, 11:03:08 PM »
yeah i forgot to mention it but i actually bulked out the front & side armour with bits of plasticard which do make it more hevily armoured.
The only justifiable risk is one that can do more harm to the enemy then it can to you. All risks must be calculated in your favour. Otherwise, you are fighting for the enemy! - Tactica Imperium

Offline Terradax

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 03:02:53 AM »
nice work! only one month left!
and yes, the price is only the PDF, i'm doing this just for fun...

Offline Terradax

« Reply #13 on: April 6, 2004, 03:08:36 AM »
just a reminder: the contest will close in 19 days! so hurry up and hand in your contributes!

Offline Terradax

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 03:43:30 AM »
The competition has ended. Thank you to al who participated. the winner will be announced at http://www12.brinkster.com/terradax