News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000 Point Deathwing  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Max Power

1,000 Point Deathwing
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »
Hey all, I'm trying really hard to get myself into deathwing. I'm just looking for some criticism on my list.

HQ:

Belial - Storm Bolter, Sword of Silence

Elite:

Dreadnought - TLLC, ML, Venerable.

Troops:

4 Terminators - 1 Assault Cannon
1 Sergeant - Storm Bolter, Power Sword

4 Terminators - 1 Cyclone Missile Launcher
1 Sergeant - Storm Boltler, Power Sword

4 Terminators - LCs on them all.
1 Sergeant - LCs

A few questions I have already;

Is it worth it to take the assault squad, or should I just take another shooty squad?
If I keep the assault squad, would fitting in some thunderhammers be a good idea?
Would it be more beneficial for me to drop the Dread and take a Librarian? I'm concerned my Dread is going to get taken out immediately, as it's the only armor I'm fielding.

Thanks for the input!

Kids, there's three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Isn't that the wrong way?
Yes, but faster!

Offline Jakuzie

• Crux Terminatus | Machina Opus
  • I *FINALLY* Changed this silly thing
Re: 1,000 Point Deathwing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:06:06 PM »
I share your concerns about the dread.

But I'm not sure a Librarian is a better alternative, two (expensive) characters in a 1k army just puts too few bodies on the table, and as DW, you have enough problem with low numbers already.

I love LC squads personally, the problem being, without a transport, you'll be hard pressed to ever get them into hand to hand combat where you want them. Many people advocate putting a single TH+SS into a squad of assault terminators, I usually go all TH or all LC, but I'll confess that's suboptimal, especially the all TH version.

You've got Belial in there, so you could always upgrade one terminator to apothecary, its a cool conversion, fewer things take away a 2+ compared with a 3+, and saving a terminator per turn is a good thing.

I'd suggest dropping the dread for a Land speeder, maybe two (I don't remember their point cost in the DA dex), they can zip around and contest objectives, be annoying, or grab tokens in any missions that may use those.

I'd also suggest going with a shooty squad over the LC one (seriously, how much CC do you need in a 1k game? 12 powerfists and 4 power weapons aren't going to cut it?) and maybe throwing an apothecary in there somewhere, if only for a cool conversion opportunity.

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
You take the LC's for the init 4, but powerfists are still quite good in their own respects.

As for the Dred, my personal choice is to run all terminators. Careful placement will allow your dred to shoot for some time but I would imagine that your opponent would concentrate a fair amount of anti-tank on him. DW should only have one HQ imho, everything else is expensive as it is and you should always try and boost your model count.

The apothecary is totally worth it. Even if it is just one save, it's alot when you only have 15 termies. I would give Belial LC and stick him with the LC termies. I would also experiement with giving one of your LC termies the Cyclone and running two 5 man termie squads with ass cannons. That way that squad isn't totally useless before they get into choppy range or if you're using them for counter assault, they have something to do while waiting to chop something up.

Doing a dualwing setup with some attack bikes and land speeders gives you teleport homers and mobile anti tank.

Offline Max Power

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:02 PM »
I don't think the CC Terminators are necessary anymore. I added a shooty squad with a flamer instead. And I see what you're saying about speeders and the like, but I'd prefer to keep my army strictly deathwing, so I'm going to keep the dreadnought and forget about the librarian. I'm just going to have to play cautiously with my dreadnought.

Thanks for your input guys.
Kids, there's three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Isn't that the wrong way?
Yes, but faster!

Offline Paraplegic

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
Lemme know how that flamer works out, my flamer marines just sit in my case and don't do anything.