News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can a boy play Necrons?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
Can a boy play Necrons?
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:39:02 AM »
A friend of mine is only 12 years old and wondering what army to play. He is not the most tactical person I know, and I was just wondering if Necrons, seeing as I dont know much about them, would be easy enough for someone like this to use. I play Dark Eldar, so know how bad it is to be punished for every tiny mistake, I just want to know whether he would be able to command Necrons or if he would be better of with a forgiving army like Space Marines (however much I may hate recruiting even MORE players for them). Well, thank you in advance for any advice you have.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline garglemoth

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
Re: Can a boy play Necrons?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:39:14 AM »
i think necons would be good. they are really powerful and with a young boy he should have fun killing of old men ;D
they are mighty forgiving. and reasonably cheap in cost. well warriors anyway.
I say yea

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 04:24:28 AM »
necrons would be perfect, rules like WBB and such would help him greatly for his mistakes.  They are a strong army and not too dificult to use.  an amazing army for a young lad.
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Pauk777

• http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/Pauk777/40KObest-army.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 04:57:57 AM »
Hey there,

Necrons would be really good for a young player for a few key reasons:

1) Warriors are cheap and really easy to paint (assembling and glueing them can be a bit finicky, so give him a hand with that if you can)

2) As the others mentioned, they are a really forgiving army - space marine profile, with resurrection, gives lots of staying power.

3) They are one of the least complicated armies in 40K. They have the shortest wargear lists (next to Tau I believe), which makes counting the points costs and throwing together a 500 or 1,000 point army really easy; many necron players can count it up in their heads.

To get him started, get the army box set, includes all the warriors he'll need and some destroyers. Throw in a lord with a resurrection orb and he'll already have a pretty tough 1,000pt. list.

Take it easy!

Pauk777 8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 06:08:34 AM by Pauk777 »
Leaving 40k for while for greener wood elf pastures.

Offline Decius

• Grot
  • Nurglings, the other white meat.
« Reply #4 on: July 5, 2005, 11:51:06 PM »
Necrons are better for starter players, but space marines are close.

Offline Riaddon

• Survived the Howard hex
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 6, 2005, 09:25:04 AM »
To be quite honest, they are easy to play, difficult to actually win with.
Their "lack of mobility" is not really a weakness, seeing how there are excellent ways around it. It may take some time to learn how to use those properly though. Also, while most units are quite forgiving, there are also a good few weaknesses in the necrons to make up for their forgiving rulebase.

Space marines are a lot more allround, and require a lot less experience/thinking. I mainly notice this in missions however, where that lack of movement really limits me, since pulling units to my lord or monolith doesnt really help much seeing how they only move 6 inch aswell. Especially if the scenario comes down to: race from long edge to long edge of the board, in just 6 turns, hahahahaha, yeah noone seriously expects you to make it with anything but the destroyers, but have fun trying.
3000pts Tau, 4500pts Space Marines, 5000 pts Tyranids, 3500 pts of Eldar, 2500 pts Necrons, 4000 points worth of orks. (and some imperial guard, I know, addiction, shush)

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 05:52:16 AM »
Necrons can get their ass kicked real bad by Tau quite easy, as Tau have way longer range and better mobility.. but those gauss cannons make it harder though..

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 04:48:26 PM »
Nah Necrons kill TAU in their sleep, the first 1-3 turns usually hurt though. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 06:14:29 PM by Revener »
Anyway......

Offline raith rider

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 03:37:44 AM »
my brother plays dark eldar and in about a week i'm gonna get ny necron battleforce i've got the codex my brothers got the rules and i know how to play and i've chosen my colour scheme and i've only just turned ten so i don't know why boys around my age can't play warhammer, so all i'm gonna say is if a boy wants to play warhammer he can.

Offline Andaah

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Confused..... often...
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 06:01:16 AM »
Necrons, being relatively simple and tough make great armies for young uns.

Offline Trevelyan

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
The fact that they are tough does make them a good army to start out with, but just because they are tough doesn't mean that you are going to win with them.  Necrons is just like any other army, to win with them takes planning and sound tactics.

Offline raith rider

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 04:24:23 AM »
i agree with trevelyn, if you wan't to get a necron battleforce, and you wan't to get some good models, don't bother getting it cause it wont have a monolith cause it's to good so you'd be better off getting a dark eldar battleforce instead cause that comes with a raider and for all the other noobs who have just started to playwarhammer, a raider is quite a good vehicle even though it is open topped.

Offline Tender Hands

• Keep it real.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 04:59:10 PM »
necrons are the best starter force IMO. they are very forgiving thanks to the We'll Be Back rule, and the basic weapons are very powerful with the ability to take down ANYTHING. then there is the high leadership which is another form of forgiveness. the only way to really ruin a necron army is to put a ctan in it (which happens far too often).

"Look through a faithless eye
are you afraid to die?"

Offline skyline

• I *L0VE* 40konline.
    • BrooklynBattleBunker.com
« Reply #13 on: August 1, 2005, 10:26:28 PM »
I have purchashed a necron force for my 9 year old brother. We also have an Eldar force (im a SM player), but enjoys the necron fluff more.

He does well against me, but we'll see with the upcomming tournament how he does, against others.

I think between Space Marines and Necrons are pretty good starter armies. As stated the point lists are pretty easy to put together. I know he struggled for a bit putting together a 1k - 1.5k eldar list. As well as the eldar strategy I usually can't help but win against him. He fairs much better against my marines when he plays necrons. I think he'll have even a better time when he gets and paints the monolith...He's beat me straight up before... ;)

So yeah,
Necrons, being relatively simple and tough make great armies for young uns.
2K Ultramarines (sold)
2K Necron (given to my bro)
1.5K Eldar (given to my bro)
2K Deathwing (sold)
2K Tau (sold)
2K Imperial Fists (WIP)

Offline garglemoth

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2005, 06:11:54 AM »
They have the shortest wargear lists (next to Tau I believe

what about us eldar. we tag along in there somewhere. I think

Offline Irennicus

• Hello
« Reply #15 on: August 6, 2005, 03:01:40 PM »
Just remember that if he's going to stick with the game for the long run, he might have trouble not being able to depend on the WBB rule when playing other armies.

Offline lord_guru32

• Life is but a gateway to eternity
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 03:26:48 PM »
im 12 and i play tau, but in my local GW theres an 8 year old necron playing kid
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with countless aeons even death may die"

Ninja Kirby (>'')>* * * *

Offline wobz

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 06:19:06 AM »
necrons are easy to use, so yes

Offline Wodge

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »
Generally adding to the positive votes you can see here. But not just for a young player!! I have used the Necrons as my introduction to 40K, and found it easier to get to grips with what they can and can't do mainly due to the restrictions on their load out (i.e. you only really have to worry about Wargear for the Lord and one option for most troops). That in turn means you can concentrate on learning the actual game.

Once hooked, the possibilities available in other armies become clear, and a choice can be made (if wanted) of another army based on a better understanding of how you want to play.

I'll shut up now  :)

Offline Killswitch

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 11:36:02 PM »
Although I've been reading rules and codexes for 3-4 years, I don't actually started playing 40k until 6 months ago. Necron was my first army, and I'm glad about it. The army list is pretty straight forward...no wargear for anything other than the lord. Even then, the lord's wargear are quite limited anyway. The point cost for units are high...meaning fewer models to paint. The unit selection is also very limited...so it'll help noobs to make up their mind on which unit to field. When it comes to cost...you can do pretty well with just warriors and destroyers. I would recommend 2 battleforce and a lord for a starter. From my opinion, it's the easiest army to get noobs to learn the rules of 40k. It can win them a few games against greener players....but I would have to say necron is harder to master than other races as their army list is quite limited in units and wargear. It'll rely on the player itself and experience to make the most out of necron. I would say necron is harder to master than other races.