News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Question of Scale (Forge World Bits vs Primaris)  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
A Question of Scale (Forge World Bits vs Primaris)
« on: May 19, 2020, 12:07:13 AM »
I think I'm about to order up some bits for a howling griffons kill team, and I was thinking of making use of some forgeworld parts (some BA parts, and some of the ravenguard parts - while not technically griffons - are probably the closes pauldrons I can buy and still feel pretty on theme ... some of the FW models look really cool too).

However, I'm not familiar with the new primaris scale, and don't know which models, or bits (if any) would be compatible.

Some stuff I'm looking at specifically:
1) Praetor in Tartaros Termi Armor  ... also interested in praetors not in Tartaros Armor
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Blood-Angels-Terminator-Praetor-2018

2) Raven Guard Mk 6 Shoulder Pads
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-MKVI-Shoulder-Pads

3) Any of the heads. (ie: Blood Angel Head Upgrade Set)
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Blood-Angels-Legion-Heads-Upgrade-Set

4) Any of the weapon sprues (ie: Legion Mk 4 Power Weapon Set)
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legion-MKIV-Power-Weapons-Set

I'd be kind of dissapointed if none of this fits ideally with Primaris marines... but that's also kind of what I'm expecting. Am I wrong though? Did only parts of the primaris marines change with the scale, leaving shoulder pads or heads or weapons or something the same scale as before?

Thanks for the info, if anyone should happen to know!

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: A Question of Scale (Forge World Bits vs Primaris)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 01:20:50 AM »
Using normal space marine conversion kits on Primaris bodies:
helmets and shoulder pads - the same size in both scales
arms - slightly different between the scales
legs - very different
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
What blazinghead said.

I'd only get shoulderpad and head bits. Anything else is not going to be the right scale.

The terminator kit won't be compatible at all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 12:22:17 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
Ok, thanks guys.

Somehow this manages to be both disappointing and better than expected at the same time :x

Very glad that the shoulder pads and heads work, at least.... I've found some third party 3rd printed shoulderpads too with the howling griffon icon on them, which might be worse quality but more accurate than the FW crow. (Normally I'd ignore 3rd party stuff entirely, but since there's no GW alternative and I have exactly 0 chance of free-handing a good griffon on a shoulderpad, much less everyone's shoulder pad.... I might try it out.)

Actually, do you guys have thoughts on whether a shoulder pad with the actual icon as part of it would look better/worse than a shoulder pad with a completely flat transfer?

The transfer is probably marginally more time consuming and harder to do (just barely). I'm undecided which would end up looking better though.

If I painted the old marine symbols for squad/etc on the other pad in free hand or with a transfer, it might look weird if the Griffon is slightly raised though? Any of you guys have experience trying and thoughts?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
It's nothing to really be disappointed about, as the mk10 armour is just different than the older patterns!

Personally, I like transfers more than molded shoulderpads. But I wether my marines, and transfers are great for adding battle damage too.

They are easy to apply too. Just put ard coat down first to create a smooth glossy surface, and seal with laminan medium afterwards, or a spray varnish on the model.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 09:12:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

I actually hadn't thought about weathering, but that could look pretty cool if I pulled it off. I prefer armies that do that well to the ones that are really clear and have very bold highlighting. They look a bit... cartoonish isn't the right word, but something like that (imo). Even if they're painted outstandingly. Totally subjective, of course.

I kind of worry that my painting skills might not be up to par with good weathering though. Mostly because I've never tried and don't know how. But I guess I could always just start and try on one model... 

I'm not sure I understand how transfers help you more than molded shoulder pads with weathering though?

And also, as I have no experience with transfers... you'd do your regular painting of the pad in its entirety first, then put down 'Ard Coat, then put down the transfer, and then seal with Lamian Medium/spray varnish?