News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ricky Ponting - Should he retire or go to The windies?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
Ricky Ponting - Should he retire or go to The windies?
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:07:50 PM »
Hey there all,

So Ricky has finally been dropped from the ODI squad. I am remarkably proud to say that I saw Ricky Ponting's last 7 runs as ODI Captain.

Do you guys think he should retire, or should he keep playing tests?

~Morty

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
Re: Ricky Ponting - Should he retire or go to The windies?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
There's something very depressing about Sporting Legends not calling time on their careers when they should, and we get stuck watching these greats slide slowly, painfully into mediocrity. Truthfully, Ponting should have retired already, Boucher should have retired already, and some of the Indian legends should probably have retired already. Kallis has stated his intent on playing in the 2015 World Cup, he should be looking at retiring in the next year or two.....
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Mortalis

• For Gondor.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:18:01 AM »
Boucher? Damn I haven't seen him play for years, although come to think of it he was in a form slump then too haha.

I'm kind of a Ponting nut, I think he still has a place in the test side, especially after his last performances.

~Morty

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »
I believe Ponting still has a place in the Australian test side. He still has the form and the experience to help guide the less experienced members. Although he will never be as good as he once was, he can still on his day give the opponent bowlers a smacking. I think it was the right call to drop him from the ODI, so that he can concentrate solely on his test form and to start playing younger players. He probably still has a year or two left in him, and I don't think he should retire. Although Australia does still need to give the younger players more experience playing international test cricket. Perhaps as a compromise rather than Ponting retiring, Ponting and Hussey might alternate between matches so there is at least one older experienced batsman in the side plus it gives them more rest :D
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline Mortalis

• For Gondor.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »
The only issue with dropping him out of the ODI side is that there are massive gaps between test, which makes it harder for Test only players to stay in form.

I don't really think the alternating system would work, nor is it fair. Particularly as Ponting and Hussey are performing better than most of the team in the Test arena anyway.

But I agree, Punter should deffas stay in the test side :)

~Morty

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
I'm not sure why you would want to rotate Ponting and "mr cricket" either?

And skipping out on ODI / pro20 cricket should not have much of an effect on his form morty ;) remember, your mindset as a batsman is very different in the shorter formats. And as he gets older, his body takes longer to recover, especially after the faster paced games.
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline Mortalis

• For Gondor.
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
Obviously they are totally different forms of the game, physically and metnally. But huge gaps from international cricket? Thats not a great idea. IC is totally different to shield, different pressure, different atmosphere. Still he is Punter, hopefully his experience will pull him through anyway, and he can keep himself solid through Shield games.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
Tons of players have played only test cricket and still been successful test players.

Justin Langer and Michael Slater that immediately spring to mind, but there have been, and are, loads of others.

Rotating Ponting and Hussey in and out of the team is a silly idea, and won't happen.

Offline Mortalis

• For Gondor.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
True, and besides its Punter. I'm sure he'll easily make the adjustment :D

~Morty