News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Jemini's Dark Eldar Warriors  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Jemini78

• Peace is a Lie, There is only Violence
Jemini's Dark Eldar Warriors
« on: November 8, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
Here are some shots.  I finished 2 of my warriors, the sybarite and one of the other warrior without a helmet.  I still have to finish the bases but will end up painting those at the same time.  I intend to add snow to the bases because I have never used the big jar of snow flock I have sitting around. 

This is also my own craftworld, Kabal of the Frozen Ember.  You can see the Army Icon on the sybarites back banner.   The rune is also a Unit Marking, which will match the unit marking on the sails of their Raider when I get my hands on one.  The pics as always show the flaws.  The models look much better in real life than in these shots, because the mistakes are always amplified.  Also I know one of the pics is a bit blurry, but it will due for now.  I will have to get a better picture taken after I get the rest of the unit finished. 

Here are the final shots, and then i will include some of the steps and methods i used for those who are curious about them.

The WIP pics will just be a link to the album. 

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/childofdelight/Dark%20Eldar/

As for the painting, these are the various colors I used for each section.
Mini’s primed grey, then anything other than flesh was painted black.   I could also go with black primer which I will probably use for future warriors, raiders, and bikes.  I will stick to the grey primer for wyches and the hellions I plan to collect. 

Flesh:   Griffon Sepia Wash over the grey primer.  Once dried I used an equal mix of Astronomicon grey and Deneb stone for the first highlight layer.   I followed this up with the next highlight using an equal mix of the astronomicon grey, Deneb stone, and white.  The next two highlight layers used the previous mix with just more white mixed in each step.  I also highlighted less and less leaving the previous layer slightly showing.    (sadly pics do not show the flesh very well, it is to reflective.

Tabards were done using a basecoat of tallarn flesh followed up by a Griffon Sepia wash.   I then reapplied tallarn flesh as a highlight.  I then gave it a final highlight using a 50/50 mix of tallarn flesh and deneb stone.

Blue hair: Base coated in enchanted blue, then given a Asuryman wash.  I then highlighted it with enchanted blue, then 3 further highlights of enchanted blue and white (2:1, 1:1, and 1:2 ratios).

For the Undersuit and banner, I mixed Chaos Black and Turquoise together.   I really don’t know the ratio but it was 3 layers.  I think the first layer was a 50/50, then gradually adding more turquoise to that starting layer.  I did not end up using straight turquoise at all, as I did each model individually and the banner was separate from the undersuit.  I just kept adding more turquoise to the initial mix.

For the Armor, I just highlighted the edges in scab red, red gore, blood red, and then fiery orange.  I used less of each color for each new layer.  I then used a mix of red ink and black ink (3:1 ratio), and applied that over the armor.  You could probably use the new washes but it would need a lot of the red wash and honestly I don’t think the red wash is red enough to blend the colors.   

Bone sections were just vermin brown and bleach bone mixes. Then a final highlight of white. 

Gold was dwarf bronze, black wash, shining gold, shining gold/silver mix for final highlight.   

Metal was just boltgun base, chainmail highlight, black wash, then chainmail/mithril silver highlights.

Combat Drug tube and vials of toxins or whatever they are was done with Dark angel green, dark angel/scorpion mix, then scorpion green. 

As for the banner, well the rune was done in shadow grey first, then white, and touched up in black. 
The red circle was done similar to the armor, and the frozen flame was done with enchanted blue and white mixes. 
Cult of the Last Caress: W/L/D:  2/0/1

Offline The Black Dahlia Murder

• NRPH forever...
Re: Jemini's Dark Eldar Warriors
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »
Only problem I have wrong with these guys is that they are not in my game case. The paint work on them are great, mostly the banner. I can't wait to see any raiders or even a talos painted by you if you are going to use them.

Offline Jemini78

« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
HEHEHE thanks.  I too can't wait to get my hands on a raider now.   I will say that the raiders, bikes, and skyboards will end up having blue tribal flame motiffs on them.   I will have to look into the tribal flame designs but it will add alot of character to the models.  I was also thinking if I ever do take trueborn i will probably have to do some of the tribal flame patterns on there armor too.   I also plan to add trophies to them in some way.   I was also thinking of adding tribal tatoos to my bloodbrides and hekatrik/succubus models as well.   This is to just distinquish their veteran status and is the easiest way to distinquish them from normal wyches.   I have been planning this since dark eldar were announced and been trying to work out the paint scheme, but its hard to set it on paper when you can simply just paint the models. 

Also the raiders will sadly have to wait till i can get my hands on them. Unfortunately I have to budget my expenses right now, being i am currently without a job.  I am however parting with my blood angel army that i just couldn't get into, and that money will be used to aquire more of the Dark Kin.   I am hoping to get more units by the end of the month.  Till then i will just finish working on my first unit of warriors, and probably start on the display board for them.

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »
ooohhh looking nice, really close to the colours i am planning for mine just with more red (i am planning more purple)

cant wait to see more of them  ;)

Offline 1-i

• theropist tested, parole board approved.
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
Dunk them in a five gallon bucket of black paint so I can feel better about my lesser painted warriors.
live life now cause hell has no cable and heaven plays WAY TOO MUCH elevator music

Offline those

• Yes... Come forth to bear the word of Chaos..!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 06:52:35 AM »
Excellent painting..! That armour looks like it's been deep lacquered... Great stuff...

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Lets try to add a little more than just one liners guys. Be constructive, ask question, etc.

I like the overall look of them; but would suggest one more step in the highlighting of the Reds. Pinpoint highlight on extreme edges, etc.

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »

I like the overall look of them; but would suggest one more step in the highlighting of the Reds. Pinpoint highlight on extreme edges, etc.

Cheers.

This is what I'm seeing on almost all (I say almost) kabalite warriors: missing flashy highlights. I just think people aren't used to those flashy highlights.

These don't look bad at all, I don't hesitate to say I like them, it's just those missing highlights that are missing.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline orkydave

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »
These look fantastic!!! and a very Similar colourscheme to mine.

I really like how you have done the highlighting on curved surfaces ( the back of the calves for example) I followed the space hulk terminators paint scheme for my Kabalites, and took the very edge highlights through blazing orange to vonit brown.  Works really well and I will try to get pictures up shortly.

Although I have done it myself, I would not worry too much about extreme highlighting - sometimes you need to strike a balance between painting to the very best of your ability and painting an army ready for war, I think these look cool.

Offline Jemini78

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 02:08:39 PM »
well bare in mind that i did take these up to blazing orange, its just i used a wash that blended the colors together better, this also took way the last highlight.  I am debating on whether or not to go back and add that extreme highlight back in. 
Also i guess i am my worse critique, but the more i look at these guys, the more i am wanting to just ditch the red armor look.  It was good in theory but i think it just doesn't sit well with the turquoise tinted undersuit.  I may go back and redo the red armor in a purple tone instead.   I do know for a fact that the turquoise tinted undersuit goes well with purple as i have a small dark elf warband with those colors.   Also the armor color doesn't look as good as the scheme in the book to me, or as good as i remember on these old fire warriors i did this orange scheme on before.   Oh well..its only two models that I have to redo.

Also..the more i look at the army icon too the more i hate it.  It also didn't come out as well as i wanted and the more I think about it, the more i want to change the symbol, and possible my kabals name. 

Offline Jemini78

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
Ok.. I went back and redid the armor color.  Must say I think I actually like the purple armor better.   It leads to a darker scheme and it meshes well with the blue tones already on the model.  I also came up with a new symbol, but not sure I really did it justice.  I may have to just get some decal paper and make my own decals at some point, because the sketch I did on paper came out way better than this painted version did.  It is suppose to be two dark eldar blades behind a skull but i struggled to get the blades looking right.   I am still working on a new Kabal name to match the icon.   
So here is the new scheme, hope you guys enjoy the new look.  Comments and Critigues welcomed. 

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
 :-[ :-[ i love the purple..... just like i am doing mine  ;D

the switch is well better than the red, the symbol looks fine to me but its your model :) so yeah i cant say much. decal paper is a great idea and one i was thinking of also just i have no idea on what symbols i want for my kabal yet.

the contrast with the blue hair and purple armour is great too.