News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)  (Read 62100 times)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Captain Calamity's Kharadron Overlords (And Other Things)
« Reply #160 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:08 AM »
How about this; the hulls are mostly green with a line of cream, but the big faces at the front (I’m sure they have a name) and the balloons are the brass colour I’ve been using, and to get the grey of the troops in there too, perhaps more conventional iron could be thrown in too?

I have just been looking at pictures of Ironclads and I did not realise they were so detailed. I think your suggestion of painting the figurehead and the balloons your brassy colour and the hull green and cream would work brilliantly.

+1

I think this army could end up being really striking. Can't wait for the next update!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #161 on: April 16, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »
+2 for the green/cream/brass. Sounds like a killer paintscheme :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2018, 07:41:35 PM »
Thank you for all the advice and support guys.  :)

I’ve got another update.  I finally finished my Khemist, who’s probably the single most important model in the army:

Well, when I say finished...there’s still the base to do.  Also I need to research old industrial pressure gages because he’s carrying a couple of them.  But he’s now tournament ready at least.

The bases are the last peice of the puzzle of this army.  I hope to figure it out asap.

Next in line is another batch of Arkanauts, then it’s on to the Endrinriggers.  Then it’s on to the ships.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »
Looks good! But he looks overall pretty dark. I'd recommend trying to bring up the brightness on his uniform, or some element of the model as its all fairly uniform in tone. Brighter eye lenses could help too!

They are fantastic models. I can't wait to see how you tackle the ships.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #164 on: April 17, 2018, 11:33:53 PM »
I'd second that. Looks great, but a bright splash of colour here and there would do wonders. Adding in some bright blues or reds just to pick out some cabling may help, or, if you want to stay fully metallic, use a bright silver to pull out some small bits to add highlights. Check out Looshkins plog for his Belisarius Cawl model which he's able to take a fully metallic paint job and give it levels by using small little bright colour highlights.

By no means is this a criticism of your paint job, which is truly superb.

That little bit of blue you added to the base of your character is a perfect example of that little punch in colour elevating the mini. If you prefer, maybe just keep the paint job as is and just add those bright colours to the base.

Either way, you force is looking awesome and I'm dying to see how you tackle those airships.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2018, 06:26:25 AM »
Hey Cap. I personally like him just the way he is. I dig the darker scheme... it gives them a fantastic Grimdark fantasy vibe I've not see anyone do. Everyone typically goes for big bombastic color schemes... these guys remind of the Dwemer from Skyrim. Ancient, mysterious and somewhat ominous. Stay the path! lol.  But thats just me. Love it bro. Keep rocking!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »
Again, thank you for all the support guys!  :)

I will meet you all in the middle and probably just add a little bit of highlighting to the overalls and lens to distinguish the detail.  Just a little bit.  ;)

I'm currently painting my third arkanaut company.  At this point it's becoming a little bit of a chore.  :P  Which is why, when they're done, I'm going off in a more dynamic tangent.  I think it's time to start the ships.  8)

But I need some help.  I've only recently got back into the painting aspect of the hobby after a ten year hiatus, and I have no idea what paints are like these days.  I still think in "snot green" and "boltgun metal".  And we say green ships.  What kind of green exactly?  The same as the ship pic I posted earlier?  Or go with this kind of shade of green instead:

Since the brass is pretty dark, maybe I need a bright green.  Oh, and how do I paint the cream bits?  See I know that proper white is to be avoided as that doesn't suit the Victorian aspect of the Overlords.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »
I like them. I do agree with the others but pictures often make things look darker so leave them alone. If anything add some soot to the gun snout. Also a brighter base can help lighten them up. Maybe some light grey stones or slate slabs.

I'm jealous. I want those models too but just can't afford them.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #168 on: April 22, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
I like them. I do agree with the others but pictures often make things look darker so leave them alone. If anything add some soot to the gun snout. Also a brighter base can help lighten them up. Maybe some light grey stones or slate slabs.

I'm jealous. I want those models too but just can't afford them.

They are sweet models aren’t they?  Probably some of the best GW have ever made.  They are an expensive force to collect though.  I hope you can start them one day.  :)

Funny you should mention grey stones and slabs.  The realm of metal is said to be mostly made up of those after the ore streams.  I’m still at a loss as to what to do for the bases but that is one idea I’m considering.

Update, I did tinker with the khemist ever so slightly:

Just to bring up the detail.  His suit is more detailed than the regulars and it would be a shame to hide that.  Also, more Arkanauts:

This is almost one half of third company.  The first model is the captain.  I gave him a head from the Skywarden kit.  My first Overlord conversion.  The last one is the skypike user minus his weapon.  They’ve taken me all day to do.  I regret to say I’m finding painting these a chore now. :P

I have started work on assembling my last company too, to break up the monotony.  Here’s the captain:

That’s another Skywarden head.  Also, since this guy is going to be the leader of my iron sky squadron, I’ve given him a little extra.  As well as having a volley pistol over the usual flare gun, I’ve given him two of the detailed shoulder pads rather than one.  I was going to give him the anchor but the angle of that arm wasn’t right.  Plus...I think it’s slighty too silly.  ;D

It bothers me that I’ve technically not finished a single model, as they all need basing and a few touches here and there.  My admiral needs the safety values of his armour painted orange or something for example, whilst a lot of the guys have cloth tha my needs painted too.  But I’ll get there, eventually. :P

Also one last thing.  I’ve taken to numbering by troops bases:

This will help me keep the right models together, because I’m ocd like that.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:56:16 PM by Calamity »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2018, 02:50:29 AM »
These guys look great Cap. They look quite dark, but that's probably just the vagaries of photos, as Dread said. I'd get a few based however you think is fitting and then show us some photos. Of course, if your bases are quite a bit lighter than the models, they may have the effect of making the models look even darker.

Great progress though Cap, I'm really looking forward to seeing the boats in those Green/Cream/Brass colour schemes. Keep it up dude!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2018, 05:02:33 AM »
Agree with everyone else, loving those companies, Calamity! A much more natural and subtle color than I would have gone with (I like Barak Zon, if I recall their name correctly), but I like the no non-sense colors of their garb, makes them look like toughened veterans who have been plying their trade in the skies for many decades :)!

Also looking forward to that Emerald Dream you're planning for the Gunships!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:21 AM »
I get a lot of feedback that says my Arkanauts are very dark.  I think the bases will balance that out, once I get around to them.

Can you guys make out the individual details of the models?  I worry that they just look like a dark solid lump.

Also, big moment here.  I’ve started painting the ships:

From what I’ve done so far, these things are going to take a long long long time to do!  :P

But what do you guys think? 

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
That ship look fantastic! Really really well done the color balance is spot on and the details really pop with that copper color. That's a splendid piece.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
So far so good. Keep it up
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
Looking great. Love, love, love the colour scheme.

I think if you get a bright colour on your bases, your nauts will be just fine. Just needed something to contrast with and allow our eyes to distinguish the subtle  gradation of colours you've applied.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #175 on: May 3, 2018, 06:33:41 AM »
Can you guys make out the individual details of the models?  I worry that they just look like a dark solid lump.
Yes and no. Looking at the your pictures on my tablet they look dark and it is difficult to make out any of the detail. If I open the picture in separate tab so the picture can be enlarged everything looks a lot better. So your models are fine I just think you need to light your pictures better. Your most recent ones seem to have a strange colour cast to them as well. It looks like there might be a TV or monitor casting a coloured light onto your models.

Also, big moment here.  I’ve started painting the ships:

But what do you guys think? 

Wow I think they look fantastic so far. Your chosen colour scheme rocks.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 02:35:56 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #176 on: May 3, 2018, 08:21:30 AM »
I personally think everything looks great. The details are certainly visible on the infantry models. The color choices all fall within a tight range, so there is a little bit of blurring on the detail, but I personally love it. While at a distance you the details might not be popping super hard, it can also draw the eye in to check out the models more closely because they look so cool. I seriously wouldn't change a thing. These guys look really unique to me. Its something you came to naturally and hence I would not turn away from that.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2018, 06:48:32 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #177 on: May 3, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »
Hi Calamity, I actually like the look of the infantry, didn't mean to say they that their color scheme was too dark. As was mentioned, could just be the camera work. If I liked the Arkanauts, however, then I certainly love that gunship! Would love to see a small fleet sailing over some battlefields in the future ;D!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #178 on: May 5, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
Thank you for the encouragement everyone.   :)

If those pics have a strange colour cast to them then it’s due to the poor lighting.  I should save the photos for daytime from now on.  ;D

Regrettably I haven’t managed to get anymore work done on them, due to my ‘work’ work.  Ah well.  I am however off to another tournament tomorrow.  Here’s the list:

Barak-Zilfin:

Admiral (General)

Aether Khemist with Aethershock Earburster

Endrinmaster

10 Arkanauts with 2 skyhooks and 1 sky pike

10 Arkanauts with 2 skyhooks and 1 sky pike

10 Arkanauts with 3 aethermatic volley guns

6 Endrinriggers with 2 drill cannons and 1 aethermatic volley gun

6 endrinriggers

Ironclad with Aetherspheric Endrins

Frigate

Total: 1980pts

I’ve taken the lessons I’ve learned and dropped a frigate in order to take more endrinriggers.  If this list looks strange it’s because it’s born out of wysiwyg.  I only have 9 endrinriggers, and the only Skywardens I can proxy with are the ones with special weapons.  And since that’s all I have, this is all I can use.  Thankfully the endrinmaster might help keep the Ironclad alive, and he’s not a bad fighter either.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #179 on: May 5, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »
Good luck! Wish I could give advice but don't know anything about them. Let us know how things go.