News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: OD's OrkNid Projekt  (Read 3118 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
OD's OrkNid Projekt
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:34:29 AM »
Latest Projekt Update!

Greetings and Salutations fellow model builders.  For a while now I've dreamed of a big project, one closely associated with my Orkish love, as well as my love of heavy conversion and truly unique miniatures.  (ie Why Orkz are my primary army).  So if you couldn’t tell by the title, this project is a mixture of Ork and Tyranids, to the point that the models can be used for either army.  And just for funzies that Ork army has to be Bad Moons and for the most part follow the IA8 rules set.

I know Orks and Nids can't be allies, but I don't care!  I first started planning this Projekt before 5th Edition came out, and frankly my main mission statement in 40k to begin with is to make awesome looking minis, I’m a modeler first, with a close second being the creation of my army’s background, and you can bet all your teef that this army is fairly fluffy.

For those interested a brief fluff rationale for the project, check out what’s hidden in the spoiler tag.
[spoiler]
786 M.41
A small Tyranid Splinter Fleet enters the Ork held system of Garkrozz, eager to consume its biomass.  Unbeknownst to the Hive Mind though, several Ork Tribes constantly fight over this system, spurned on in large part by the uprising of the Mad Mek Krunkslag and Bad Dok Uzdreg, which have been fighting for dominance against a myriad of Nobz and Warbosses determined to keep hold of their dwindling power.

Not long after arriving in the system, the Nids met with a large fleet of ramshackle Ork spacecraft.  What would have normally been an easy kill for the Hive Mind became the ultimate peril due to one ship in particular, the Krooza ArdJobb.  The Ardjobb had a newly Mekboy designed starship drive, the likes of which haven't been seen before or since that utilized ancient technology found in the Garkrozz system.  When the Ardjobb's engines were damaged by the Hive Fleet, it exploded with such force that it not only nearly wiped out both fleets, but overloaded the Hive Fleet’s synaptic web to the point that each Tyranid for thousands of kilometers lost all ability to receive contact with the Hive Mind.

A single immature Leviathan class Hive Ship, made it past the Ork blockade, flailing madly and bleeding out as it became trapped in the gravity well of a nearby planetoid.   From their communal Mekshop fortress Krunkslag and Uzdreg saw a streak of light and felt the ground shake from impact.  Thinking it was just another Ork starship that had crashed, they sped to the scene to gather scrap, teef, and boyz to experiment on.

What they found was the dying wreck of the Hive Ship, with thousands of dead Tyranids strewn about for miles.  Amongst the corpses were survivors, cut off from the Hive Mind, fighting for dominance and survival.  An idea sparked between the Dok and Mek that rivaled their previous collaborations, an idea that only crazed Orks could think of.  They were going to "save" the Tyranids.

[/spoiler]

I already have a few of these Cybernidz built, primarily during various Ork WotW Konverzion events, but I'm now going more full hog than ever before.  This Projekt is going to be a log of how I build an entire ARMY, that is appropriately konverted in such a way as to fit the fluff, and be played as either a Tyranid or Ork IA8 army (under the Bad Moons Clan).

History and Previously Completed Projekts
Everything has it's start right?  Well like I said the concept came about in that gray area between the 4th Edition Ork Codex and the release of 5th Edition.  I wrote a quick fluff piece on it, and tinkered with the idea with a few concept sketches, a bunch of Lootas with Nid guns, but for the most part I let the idea percolate on the back burner of my brain. 

Fast forward to the WotW Scrapyard Build Off competition.  At the time I had recently gotten IA 8 fever, and bit off more than I could chew with a challenge to make 10 Killa Kans in one month.  Since I was working IA8 and I wanted to differentiate my new material from the old I had chosen to build/konvert under the Bad Moons styles, but I was running low on bits so I started canabalizing everything I had, which included quite a few Nid Bitz.

About a year went by, and my thoughts had returned considerably to the idea of the project, this time more fully fleshed out as a two in one force.  I traded extensively to get any and every Nid bit I could (including an errored Hive Tyrant with two right sides), and when the WotW Junkyard build came, I tackled it head on with konverting 6 beasties (4 DreadFexs and 2 CyberTyrants)

This right now is the next wave where I think I’m going to be Orkifying an entire army of the little gribbles.  So is this going to be an easy Projekt?  No.  Is this going to take a loooong time?  Yes.  Do I want input?  OF COURSE I do!  Even if it's saying that my work is no good, I want to hear it, because honestly how else am I going to get any better!  I'm open to any suggestions, comments, criticisms, or pretty much anything you have to say! 

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: February 6, 2014, 07:18:42 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: OD's OrkNid Projekt
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
Projekt Update: 1.5 hours in...

I'm starting the thread relatively quietly with my first Prototype CyberGant.

There's been a bit more work post these first three photos, namely a bit more armor plates, battle damage (cause there's never enough of that!), and a clip for the Shoota/Fleshborer.

Side by side Comparison to Standard Termagant

I felt the first photo was misleading.  The Cybergant is much taller and beefer than the standard, in fact he's just slightly above the height of your average Orkboy.

Not bad for the bit of rust I've accumulated since my last projekt.  (FYI, when I get the fundage for a new battery for the camera, picture quality will improve over the pictures taken via the phone.)  Much more to come...

Peace
~OD

Edit Addendum
Projekt Update: 3.5 hours in...

There's progress made, admittedly slow progress, as is often the nature of konverzions such as these.  They're labors of love, lengthy endeavors, but ultimately worth it.  Besides, it seems kinda funny that I'm averaging over an hour per Termagant, when most people put together one in around a minute.

Gant 2

All 3 Gants so far...

I know not a lot of work done so far to show off, but progress is moving along.  At the moment I'm unsure about the exhausts or the bionic eye.  I was thinking of detailing each with both things, but at the moment I'm on the fence.  I know I'm not done with any of them yet, I still have gun detailing, and wire work to do, as well as at least some minor base detailing, but details details...

Well I had hoped to get a response before posting my next leg of work, but seeing how I've been hard at work for quite some time, I may as well just post on (apologies for the double post, but as this project evolves I'm going to want to edit and modify the first post and will need room).

Projekt Update: 17 hours in...
Yup, I've been hard at work doing a lot of conversion, getting in an hour+ each day.  Does my progress equate to the time, sadly not really, I'm spending on average well over an hour on each figure, but such is the way of heavy conversion.  On the bright side as you can see I'm finally up to 10 Termagants, it's now officially a legal game unit. 

On the left is the first five, center is all 10, and the right is the beginning wirework on the first 3. 

But its not as if I spent the whole time working just on Gants.  If I had, then that'd be absurd!  No no, I spent a fair amount of time working on my next prototype.  It may not look like much, but it's my first draft of Gargoyles made from Hormagaunts.  To start with I had to cut out a bunch of bases, sized to the small flyer base, then of course trying to figure out how to scratchbuild that base so that a figure mounted on it is the appropriate height for a long flying stand, I should just let the photos talk for themselves.

Think of this prototype as an unfinished first draft.  Not visible in these shots is the engine mounted on his back, or the modification to the Hormagaunt tail.  I still need to build up a thruster intake, which will likely cover the area of the bars that join the Ork arms to the Horma body, and the longer I work on it, the less I like the wings.  My plan is to have at least one visible articulation point on the wings (for obvious purposes it wouldn't actually have articulation, just the appearance of it).

I also obviously have to build up the base a bit more, try to further hide the slottabase that's incorporated in it, add more rubble, try to eliminate the Teepee look to the base, maybe cybork up the feet, add a gun barrel to the Fleshborer, and wire work it of course.

So lots of work left, open ears as to how to make it better.  Feel free to comment guys

Peace
~OD
« Last Edit: February 6, 2014, 06:56:07 PM by OD from TV »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline greenlectern

• What's the point of rhetorical questions?
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »
Wow OD, you really are a fan of the "specialized theme army"! I certainly like the uniqueness of your project, the fluff is cool and your plasticard modelling is extremely good! So far the only thing that I am not particularly a fan of from a modelling perspective is the elongated necks of the Gaunts. Though perhaps I'll appreciate them more once they've been painted.

Since, as you know, I'm a big fan of Genestealer Cults, I wonder if you've ever checked out any Ork Genestealer Cults? They are/were supposed to be a possible, albeit rare, occurence. I don't suggest you change your fluff or plans of course, I just thought they might provide some food for thought if you're not already familiar with them. Perhaps your mad dok might enjoy splicing together some Ork/Tyranid mutants.

Here's one such Ork Cult which I think is pretty awesome:

Pathfinder: Inquisitiored Genestealer Cult Army List

But this one is my favourite:

toycutter: Warhammer 40K: Ork/Tyranid Hybrids

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply greenlectern, as well as the links.  They're certainly interesting figs, some are actually not that dissimilar from some of my earlier works.  As for the Stealer Hybrids... well that is one of the big things isn't it.  Stealer Hybrids were one of the things that drew my first big interest with the Nids.  Its been in my plans for some time, but I've been holding off on it for multiple reasons.  Fluff-wise for this army projekt, there is a much larger story that is evolving, and the Stealer Hybrids are a part of that, but I'm going to wait on doing them.  If for no other reason than at the moment I'm holding my hopes out for an official Stealer Hybrid rules set in the near future.  And I'm not anywhere near the level to sculpt well, and I want those Ork Hybrids to look just as good if not better than the 2nd Edition Ork Hybrids (ref Freebootas codex I believe).

I do hear you about the elongated necks.  The first prototype didn't have the room to get the head in its original socket without an extension of the neck, so I did it as the other choice was no head at all.  Then as I analyzed it after drying, I grew to like the look, especially from the side angle, as the beast took on a more Velocoraptor look to it than Tyranid.  Its something that the first model represents quite well, however many of the ones after feel lacking in that regard.  To this in my projekt update, one of the next Nids happens to be of the standard neck

Projekt Update: 21 hours in...
Up to a Bakers Dozen in Termagants, and these are the 3 new beasties,

The center one is of standard neck height, and to be honest I'm really on the fence now, on if I should rework the other 12.  Oh tough decisions.

The model on the right (its the same right in every picture), has a small shelf like protrusion, and to be honest I'm not sure if I want to add that kind of bit to every one. I'm thinking fluff-wise of the army, Termagants would most likely be used for guard duty, as well as possible manual labor in creating heavy warmachines like Stompas, and that shelf thing could be easily turned into a hopper basket, which could then get filled with scrap.

Peace
~OD

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:51 PM »
Okay so it’s been a bit since I made a posting.  The project was/is ongoing, but various elements of Real Life Drama, my birthday, landing my next gig/show, and the Tyranid codex release (which lead to a general lackluster enthusiasm for the projekt) temporarily negated me from posting an Update.

So what’s been done?  Well I started a bit on modifying a couple of broken down Warriors, an incredibly rough unfinished prototype of a Zoanthrope scratchbuild (which I can only assume teleported away in fear of the new dex since its MIA), an incomplete Hormagant prototype, and of course more mindless, aggravating, painstakingly slow work on Termagants (total 18), that frankly I’m thinking about chucking in the bin.  Not because I dislike them really, but due to a gaming discussion where I was told I had gone so far overboard that they were no longer game legal.

Personally I don’t see exactly how making a model larger than the stock version is breaking the rules.  I mean people base their models on elaborate scenic bases, (which often greatly enlarges their size) practically all the time in store without anyone batting an eye or raising a complaint.  I also don’t see how exactly I’d be getting an advantage via the modeling (when it makes them an EASIER target that is less able to hide out of LoS), and while various people chimed in on both sides of the debate, it became one of the Charlie Foxtrot discussions embroiling the whole store.  As such the manager of the (not so local) LGS came down on the decision that these conversions were of a Non-Legal in store status, which kinda killed all enthusiasm temporarily for the project.

Interestingly enough the manager (who happens to be a friend) LOVED the models, he still occasionally raves about the old DreadFex conversions I’ve done to any Nid player that comes in store, or at least he does when I’m around.  He mentioned to me that he didn’t like that he had to make that executive decision, but he also said that he thought I could do better with less, and that no one should spend over 2 hours on a Termagant, especially when there’s going to be around a 100 of them in an army.  So there's that.

The next big set back happened to be the unfortunate delay of my copy of the codex arriving (a rather major bummer since release day was on my birthday), as well as a misboxing of the Tyranid Swarm set I ordered, and general feelings of things best left unsaid about the new Nid codex.  Suffice to say, the past couple weeks have me taking a bit of time to really get back into the swing. 

As such, especially since I’m basically going to be scraping most to all of the work I’ve already done, I’m going to be resetting my work clock on the projekt.  (For anyone interested the Work Clock as it stands including the fresh work posted today would stand at 32 hours, but I really only do the work clock for me).

So finally here’s the actual update with photos which really is the only truly relevant thing.

Projekt Update
3 Hours in…

Not wanting to spend any more time on the Termagants (or fixing up the 2 broken Warriors, Hormas, or Zoanthrope work which I had started and not previously posted), I decided I needed a fresh brand new mini to work on.

So I present to you my first prototype of the OrkNid MegaWarrior!!!
What’s that you may say, “What is a MegaWarrior?”  Just take a look at the shiny pictures…

I’m really returning to the heart of the project, which aside from making awesome looking minis, is making models that can double for both a Tyranid army as well as a new army of Orks (cause 1 Ork force simply isn’t enough, especially when I have a small gaming group that uses my models because they’re not interested in the building models part of the hobby)

Stat-wise for Nidz he’s got a Devourer and two sets of Scything Talons (although an argument could be made I suppose for Rending claws), whereas for the Orkz he’s a Nob in MegaArmor with a Powerklaw and a Twinlinked Shoota (although I suppose that the Devourer on there could feasibly be viewed as a Skorcha…ideas?)

Nevertheless this badboy has only minor detail work so far, or at least what I would classify as a minor to moderate amount of conversion.  He’s pretty GW gray in my opinion; I know straight away that I should have scratchbuilt the legs, saving those bits for other konversions.  Additionally the stock back piece I feel may have been a mistake, as it’s going to be difficult to plop an engine on the stock back bit, which is really a necessity what with the giant dual exhausts.

So if that’s a problem why not shorten or rip out the exhausts?  Well I’m glad you asked!  As I wasn’t content with this model JUST being a Meganob or a Warrior, I went and built it to have the option to use it as a Shrike too!!

So keep in mind this is a rough prototype still, but I think the idea is fairly solid.  Or rather it will be when I plop on some more aerodynamic wings to it so its more than just a fancy Jetpack.  The trouble I forsee is how large do I make the wings and how exactly I’m going to mount them, but that is part of the fun of my crazed konversions!  So stay tuned, they’ll be at minimum 5 of these.  (Sidenote: I tend to avoid using magnets for any swappable stuff, with a personal preference for a more plug in style)

Lastly here’s a shot of all the hard work that is likely going to be scrapped, oh conversion project rejects, how I weep for thee… until I remodel them into something better! (not pictured Zoanthrope or Gargoyle)

Peace
~OD

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »
So at the moment I haven't been in much of a picture taking mode, rather I've been fairly heavy on the Konverzion mode.  So I’ve got a couple nice minis to show off, but before I get to that, for anyone that’s interested here is a brief Fluff bit hidden in a spoiler tag about the first successful Orknid MegaWarrior, Snagog.
[spoiler]The hazy outline of the Mekshop was slowly coming into focus as Snagog binked.  He felt strange, as something wasn’t quite right.

“Ah your finally awake, was wondering when you’d come around, da operation was a uge success” said Bad Dok Uzdreg as he and his Grot assistant, Wort, strolled into Snagog's view.

“Oi I feel funny, what you do to me Uzdreg!  Why’s everything so funny, and how’d you get shorter?"
“Ah but you see I’ze haven’t gotten shorter Snagog, you’ze gotten bigger.  Wort, go fetch the mirror.”

As Snagog looked into the reflection he went into a rage.  His body was replaced with extensive cybernetics and Tyranid body parts.  With a colossal scream he ripped himself from the chains holding him in place and shattered the mirror sending hundreds of glass shards into Wort, killing the grot, before turning his attention to the Bad Dok.  Uzdreg quickly reached his hand to his cybernetically attached control panel and pressed a button.  As soon as he did so Snagog fell to the ground, his body loose and limp, almost as if watching a puppet whose strings are cut fall to the floor.

“Oi whatcha do to me now ya evil git!"
“I’m just showing you who has the power.  At anytime I can press this button ‘ere and you’ll be paralyzed.  It’s quite practical if ya ask me.”
“I’ll kill ya!”
“No you won’t, but look at dis another way Snagog.  Overnight you’ve become a mighty Nob, a Meganob in fact.  A Meganob who will be going forth and controlling me and Krunkslag’s new army in a glorious Waaagh across da stars.  You got a lotta strength now, more den you even fink.  Why doncha ‘ead out ta town, and show all dem rivals of yourz just who they dealing wiff now."

A glimmer of pride shined thru Snagog’s eyes, as he thought of all the carnage and followers he could gather.

“Yes yes, go to town Snagog, and tell yer friends dat you will lead dem in their new Model T Mega Armor inta the most glorious Waaagh lead by me and Krunkslag… provided of course dey come in ta da Workshop wiff a mere 50 teef for da operation.”

Uzdreg flipped a switch and Snagog could feel his body once more.  Getting up he replied “Ya I fink I’ll do dat.”

“One last fing Snagog.  Don’t ever fink of crossing me, cause all I’ze got ta do is press dis button ere and you’ll explode into a million bitz.  If ya don’t believe me I can test it out, but you prolly wouldn’t survive ta see da resultz.”
[/spoiler]

I really like writing fluff as I build; I am one of those crazy players who likes having a narrative behind their army.

Projekt Update: 7.5 hours in…

MegaWarrior Snagog in Model T MegaArmor.

So yeah, my MegaWarrior Prototype is pretty much complete.  Visibly in the the picture he's not too much different from the last time, just a rear mounted engine, a bit of wire work and a lot of minor detailing with scrapes, dents, and damage most of which won't be visible in the pictures until paint (although looking at the picture I see I completely missed the engine).  Something of note is that the Jet Pack still fits on even with the engine attached to his back, but that’s the only part of this guy I figure is incomplete.  I have a couple old broken Warriors that will soon be getting the Model T treatment, and I know I can work them much faster than this first one, now that most of the kinks are worked out.

But there’s MORE!  (I do regret not taking pics of the evolution of this next piece/pieces.)  Driven by the concept of swappable pieces to change unit type (like I did with the Jetpack/wings of the MegaWarrior/Shrike), I’m taking it a bit further with the ‘Thropes’, here’s the base bit…

I know it looks a bit confusing, but trust me, there’s a reason for this piece.  At the moment I have two different pieces that slide onto those two bars, that dictate what model is being represented.

Zoanthrope Add on…

So I had found the head I was working on, it thankfully didn’t fall into the abyss behind the workbench!  I had been thinking for quite a long while about a counts-as Zoanthrope that was a Wyrdboy forcibly strapped into a myrad of Nid bits and cybernetics.  While not exactly what I had originally pictured in my mind, I rather like the piece, and you can see that scarred Wyrdboy powerplant at the back of the Thrope’s mind.

But that base is usable for something else, something a bit more potent on the table since the new book, something a bit toxic…

So I figure this Venomthrope prototype still needs around 2 hours of work before its finished, but I think the idea comes across quite well and that you can all see where I’m going to go with it.  I’m not sure about what I’m going to put on its back end, but I do think it needs to be bulked out a bit.

Note that the Zoanthrope and Venomthropes are both relatively rough draft prototypes, but I think they’ve done the job masterfully.  I’m also excited that I can squeeze some double duty out of these minis, it forces me to have to come up with inventive ways of modeling, that overall makes the models better.

The big problem I see at the moment is the amount of GW gray.  I really need to get some gray in there, these guys right now don’t even come close to scatting the 70% line, but I’m also at a loss as to what Nid bits I could add that wouldn’t overbulk the model or look out of place.

So Progress is ongoing, and my Orknid Army will one day soon be coming to the tabletop to declare a Waaagh AND Feast on the enemy.  Ah the best of both worlds.

Peace
~OD

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2014, 06:52:57 PM »
With the stress of tomorrow and the next day looming over me, I'm trying to de-stress and enjoy today as much as possible.  Seeing how I haven't made an update in a while, this seems like a good enough time to do so, despite the fact that I know all these models will be making quite a deal of change later on today.

Projekt Update: 14 hours in...
MegaWarrior/Model T #2

I think he's looking pretty nice, he's almost complete with just a bit more work on the shooty arm, an engine, finishing up of the exhausts and final detailing.

The next MegaWarrior I started working on for Nids will be a Warrior with a Venom Cannon and in Orks a Mega with a Kombi Shoota/Skorcha.  I think he's shaping up nicely.

I'm personally aggravated with one of the roommates who broke the end of the tail off, I'm searching for it, but I think that bit might just be lost to the void, a real shame because it had turned out beautifully.  Sigh, even with the slightly decapitated tail, I do dig the mini.  He's slightly taller than the standard Warrior, due to some internal ribbing I had to put in between his upper torso and the tail.  It's one of those minor things that you'd have to try hard to see, but standing next to a standard Warrior or another of these conversions, you can see the difference.  An important thing to note with #3 is that this is a used model that was previously a scrapped over-glued brick, with broken arms and missing legs.  I find that fixing up old models into Ard looking minis is not only fun, but a great type of recycling!

On that note, heres some more work on a couple other used Warriors that are getting the Model T treatment, as well as a shot of the work done on the Zoanthrope/Wyrdboy torso frame.

The top one originally had both feet firmly planted on the base but with snapped off legs, a kind of break I haven't seen before or since.  I'm sure it happens, that joint isn't exactly very reinforced, and I know it'll happen again to this guy if I don't firm up that joint a bit more.  He's pretty WiP.
The other one (#5) is quite similar to MegaWarrior 3, which I admit to feeling rather iffy on.  In retrospect if I had paid more attention earlier on, I'd have used the tail and torso from #5 on MegaWarrior 3 (the torso's left side was a complete mess, and with that tail break the only idea I had was a third leg, which really can only look good if the model is firing a suitably heavy weapon).  I hate having models that look alike, and its unfortunate but #5 and #3 are just going to be fairly similar.  Both still have a CC arm to do though, so at least there will be some details I can use to change them up.
I know that one minor pic of the Zoanthrope/Wyrdboy isn't exactly a great shot, but there hasn't been a super amount of work done on him.  He's got holes drilled in the exhaust, warp blasted eyes, a few more bits of GW gray.  He's not bad, but I'm not exactly super excited about him.

Why?  Well because of all the work on the Venomthrope/KFF Mek that shares a swappable base with him, to me at the moment it's the best work I've done on any scratchbuild.

He's also where the last of the exhaust thickness pipe I had went (I hate that I have to wait a week to pick more up!  I wanna finish this guy!).  I'm on the lookout for wherever the box with my old guitar string and wire cutters went, once I have that I can add on some sick looking kustom lash whips.  He's still a far cry from being 'game legal' at the (not so local) LGS, but (fingers crossed) when he's done hopefully no one will care too much. 
I know that I really want to build a kustom Glyph for him and the other Venomthropes I build, one that combines the Bugeye (Orkspeek for Tyranid) glyph with the Mekboy (wrench) glyph, but I have no idea where to put it, and it'll do nothing but add more non-GW mat to a model I'm trying to get to game legal status.

It's coming along, but I'm also starting to run low on a couple bits that I really need.  I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and put out a trade request on the forum since no one I know has Nids anymore and nobody in the shop picked them up when they dropped but me (everyone got Nid-depressed when the truth-mill started blaring a few days before the release).

Peace
~OD