News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1st Bristol Vanguard Club Tournament!  (Read 5358 times)

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
Re: 1st Bristol Vanguard Club Tournament!
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
I'm a big fan of Bike Marines, he should use those!

Heard a silly idea for an army list earlier whilst in GW Bristol en route home involving Bike marines...2 squads of 'em as troops, attached attack bikes, NINE LS Tornados, chappy on a bike...plus something else. More assault cannon cheese than a deli counter at Sainsburys.  :o

...mind you, fun to model. Hmmm...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:20 PM »
Meh, powergaming is for big girls; my army has two full squads of troops, one with furious charge as elites with a chaplain to cheerlead and then two las/plas squads with razorbacks, a predator and only one tornado. Follows the old organisation that the 'scars used to have in the IA article where they're a mixed force with lots of bikes and nothing that can't haul ass.

And the fluff for my army is that they where experimentally recuited from underhive youth biker gangs, of which the only real effect is lowered suspension on all the tanks and an above average apprication for drive by shootings. ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 07:09:35 PM »
Back on topic, we've sold (and got the money for) 32 tickets! Tickets are still going if you want them although (we've already set our clubs terrain making team into action for more boards so beating them into making even more is fine).
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
  • All glory to the Hypnotoad .
« Reply #43 on: March 4, 2008, 01:37:32 AM »
Out of curiosity , who from this fine forum has been placed on the definite list to attend ? Besides me ( Simon Henderson ) ?   
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 01:43:49 AM by Evil_Toast »
Models painted 2011 . 2010 in brackets .
Infantry : 0 (32)
Large Infantry : 0 (9) 
Bikes/Jetbikes : 3 (0)
Walkers/MC's : 0 (5)
Tanks : 0 (4)
Large Tanks : 0 (0)

Last unit painted : 3 Eldar Jetbikes
Screw it, I give up.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #44 on: March 4, 2008, 01:49:46 AM »
I'm not quite on the definate side of things yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #45 on: March 4, 2008, 08:11:16 AM »
Sam Barnard is Falandir our friendly neighbourhood moderator is there... and yours truly who isn't allowed to actually play. A few vanguard members have accounts here but don't post that much. If there are others they haven't made me aware of the connection.

As the clubs tresurer I'm not directly involved in applications save the number of them and making sure the money gets piled up into our giant pile of cash (this pile isn't currently very giant because terrain it being expensive due to the fact that our scenery crew really get annoyed by piss poor terrain at tournaments and have refused to allow it to happen at ours).

I'm not quite on the definate side of things yet, but I'm seriously considering it.

Go on! At half the price and twice the games of any other tournament in Bristol? ;D

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: March 4, 2008, 06:54:19 PM »
I think I better come and play at one of your club's gaming nights, see if I can stand the sight of you lot first.

:)

No promises though.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #47 on: March 6, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
Cool, either say when (or use our forum to orginise a game) or just you can turn up randomly with 1500 points of 40K which should be easy for you to get a game.

We're nice really...:)

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2008, 01:00:53 PM »
Quick note for people who have entered or still want to. You need to e-mail us your army lists by tomorrow (and if you've not paid yet mention that you've posted money and really really want to go and will we please accept it, and then we might)

:D

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »
Ticket orginised : Check
List E-Mailed for general perusal and mocking : Check
Train : Erm , soon ......
Place to stay : Tomorrow/Monday  .

Any idea on the final total of players yet ? And has my wooden spoon been bought ? 

[EDIT]
@Hymirl - Has Rob Bradbury sent his stuff in yet ? (If I have to e-mail him the info pack one more time I'm going to have to inflict some GBH on something .... )
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 06:41:06 AM by Evil_Toast »

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »
43 entrants and lots of lists are not in yet. I can't check names offhand though, it would probably be quicker if you asked him just in case).

Theres a list of entrants here http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/News.html (although I see no Mr Badbury on the list... are you sure he got his application in?). Unfortunatly, we can't cater for people randomly turning up on the day as we're still building boards and terrain specificly for the event so there won't be a spare table...

On the upside we can cater for breakfast and lunch! Theres gonna be bacon rolls n the go first thing in the morning! And theres mutterings that we're going to invade a nearby pub for saturday evening possibly featureing a quiz of some sort.

(I'm still trying to get "What is the Monoliths Hull made of? A: Injection moulded Plastic. B: Living Metal. C: Cheese. D; All of the above." into the quiz... it can have no wrong answer!) ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:27:13 PM by Hymirl »

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »
43 entrants and lots of lists are not in yet. I can't check names offhand though, it would probably be quicker if you asked him just in case).
Theres a list of entrants here http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk/News.html (although I see no Mr Badbury on the list... are you sure he got his application in?).

He did say he was going to do it last week early . And have emailed him the application form about 6 times already since last year November when this appeared on my radar . Hence me asking !

(I'm still trying to get "What is the Monoliths Hull made of? A: Injection moulded Plastic. B: Living Metal. C: Cheese. D; All of the above." into the quiz... it can have no wrong answer!) ;D

You forgot E: Beard , which was also a correct answer . Were you at Colours/Starsmash last year by any small chance ? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:38:19 PM by Evil_Toast »

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »
I was not as I was in Central America at the time. A few of my clubmates where though... it sounded like a funny enough joke to recycle. I normally go to the Spikey Clubs SVA weekend though... thats good fun.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #53 on: April 7, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
Just in closing, a big thanks to everyone who turned up, (although I think there was only 3 40KOers playing). All a great success and we'll be doing it again next year...

Anyone thinking about comming next year and intrested in what people have said about this one, you might find these threads intresting:
http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=41279
http://z10.invisionfree.com/The_Bristol_Vanguard/index.php?showtopic=540&st=0&#last
« Last Edit: April 7, 2008, 10:13:28 AM by Hymirl »

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: April 7, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
Yes , this event was definitley TEH r0XxX0R !!1!!1!!1 . (Note the extra "1" as the official sign of awesomeness ! )

Who was the 3rd 40KO player ?

And got some pics of the terrain/tables to put up , so everyone can feel regret at not attending . And also of the Guard army that came 3rd . But just because looking at it makes your eyes cross and the left side of your body go numb  :D .

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #55 on: April 7, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »
Yes, that was some mind bending camo! Breaks up the outlines of the tank though...

I think the 3rd 40KOer was a club member with only a couple of posts... probably doesn' count. I dunno...

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #56 on: April 9, 2008, 02:32:33 PM »
As promised , some pics I took with my phone ( so apologies for the bad quality ) .

An amazing bit of scenery , would you not agree ? And to think it's a FW bust  :'( .

1 table that I managed to snap on the last day , pity the Chaos board of doom was packed away , but sure Hymirl can get a pic of it from the archive of 13 876 pics Jay's dad took the weekend  :D .

Another table , and another ( now with added Hymirl in the background !)

Epilepsy Guard ! , Be warned !  Kudos to the chap for coming 3rd to be fair .
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 01:30:39 AM by Evil_Toast »

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #57 on: April 9, 2008, 03:09:25 PM »
and another ( now with added Hymirl in the background !)

Nooo! My anonanimityness... gone forever. Although I'm mildly annoyed that every photo I'm in, I'm either eating (delicious) cake, drinking tea or as in this one hanging about chatting and not doing any work. Oh well.

This is the chaos board at work in progress (we wheren't kidding when we thanked Jay's mum for letting us take over the whole house as a scenery workshop)

A few other pictures of the terrain can be found here, and our website will soon have the gallery with lots of pictures up (otherwise our webmaster gets a friendly beating).

Incidently that IG guy did make an awesome effort with a non-powergame army, all ground units and only two heavy support. I was well impressed.