News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 eldar cc army. tell me what you see.  (Read 1326 times)

Offline mikesusername

1850 eldar cc army. tell me what you see.
« on: November 25, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
Goals:

1) make an army list out of models i have actually painted
2) make a fun list for eldar ( :o )
3) make a cc list
4) make a list that is mildly competitive, not a tourney winner, but one where, at the local spot, I would have a reasonable chance of winning.

the list (done in battle scribe, which i think hasn't updated the wknight points, oh well) 

eldar

battle host

farseer (no extras)
2 D cannon support batteries
1 viper with 2 shuriken cannons
1 warwalker with 2 EML's

3 units of 10 guardians with EML's

aspect host

total of 22 (8,7,7) scorpions and 3 exarchs with fist and pistol (25 models total)

wraith constructs

wraith knight with dual d-cannon dual scatter lazer

( I  know the obvious thing is to swap for the shield and sword, but i feel like he's already gribbly enough in cc)

command

autarch with jetbike, banshee mask, pheonix gem, shard and fusion gun.
------ this guy is great because i could hide him in a scorp squad and, when charges are going to happen, move him out to nullify the overwatch.  especialy against tau i think this could be rad.

so basically everybody moves super quick,  i've got a good amount of aa and i can be in assault fairly reliably by turn 2.  the genneral strategy is to push my opponent back on the table with the heavy hitters (scorps, avatar, knight, autach) and have the amphetamine parrottier guardians hold objectives.  the autarch is a must incase im facing an alpha strike heavy army i want to bring whatever i want to bring on after his stuff hits the table and nukes some guardians.

so do you think i fulfilled my goals with this list?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:22:05 PM by mikesusername »

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
Re: 1850 eldar cc army. tell me what you see.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:59:32 PM »
It looks like you already have the pieces, and from the looks of it- a very nice list, a solid 1500 pts list.

The piece that I wouldn't really add is the autarch on jetbike, since it really has no place for it and it is 100 pts that is out of it's element, unless you have other bike units.

Battle Host, Living Legend, Wraith-Construct and Aspect Host using Weapon Skill Bonus. I am sure you already know this.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
What are your plans for the Farseer? Which dicipline will you be going for?
You'll want to infiltrate with your Scorpions to make use of their Shadowstrike rule, obviously.
A lone Autarch, I find, is a sitting duck. You'll want to have him start the game as part of another unit, to protect him.
That unit can't be Scorpions, or that particular unit will not be able to infiltrate, which means they will not benefit from Shadowstrike.
I'm also wondering if D-cannons are the right choice. With just 24" range, there's a limit to how much of the table they can reach. Even so, say they get to shoot - unless you're going to fire at MCs/GCs/AV, they are too expensive relative to the damage they dish out on infantry. Considering that Shadow Weavers are half as much for twice the range (though packing less of a punch, I'll grant you), it may be better to take two of those instead. That will free up 60 points.
Then there's the matter of the size of your Scorpion units; they are too large, I think. Consider taking 3 5 man units instead for a total of 15 models. A 5 man unit will still do enough damage to bring down most enemy units, while presenting less of a target. That's another 170p you can spend elsewhere, for a total of 230p. You can get a lot for that. A Dire Avenger Shrine is 195 points at its cheapest, and that's 15 additional Shuriken catapults with 18" range to support your Scorpions as you make your way toward the target. It's also three extra units you can use to shoot at different targets with, and three more targets in your army for your opponent to consider. It may not seem like much, but I feel like saturation is the key to a good list.
If you want a good place for your Autarch, get him a Shining Spears unit. Otherwise I feel like the Autarch is out of place. You can exchange one Scorpion unit for a unit of Spears (so that they are part of the +1 WS formation) using the remaining 35p after you get a DA Shrine.
Outflanking with a unit of Shining Spears is great fun. Just make sure you don't expose them to more enemy fire than they can handle. Especially with the Autarch riding along, they may present a choice target for your opponent.
If you don't Outflank too far away from the rest of your footslogging army, and/or too deeply beyond enemy lines, thus isolating them further, they tend to perform very well. They are powerful enough (on the charge) to take out just about any target.

Giving EMLs to your Guardians is a solid choice, especially if, as you say, you plan to have them sit behind and hold objectives. EMLs are always the most expensive weapon choice for us, and since they are free with the Guardian Battlehost formation, it's a good choice.
Your list does lack firepower, however, and having 27 Shuriken catapults (not counting the three Guardians that operate the EMLs) sit at the back may not be advantageous. You may need to use their firepower to thin out the enemy line before your CC units can break through.
If you insist on keeping them behind, the DA Shrine becomes ever more necessary, I would say.
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline mikesusername

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Dicipline for the farseer is usually opponent dependant.  I'd probably stick with the eldar table unless otherwise indicated.

Your D-cannon suggestion is good,  its a matter of the model i have, so if proxying is ok'd then illl probably switch.  I have concerns regarding its short range especailly when im going to be close to the enemy.  the only benefit is that if i can place objectives close enough it basically guarantees my opponent pays for holding 3 of them.

I like big cc units.  they often suffer attrition, and the point of the scorpions isn't to smash things, its to hold the enemy back and plunk on objectives.  I need them to be large.  I could make them 7 total which might give me points to do something cool elswhere.

I really like the shining spear suggestion, and, if i had the models, I would definitly consider droping one of the scorp squads for one.

I think its really cool you mentioned a DA shrine,  I had really thought about including a full 30 dire avengers.  I love the models and they're probably some of my best painted models.  plus they synergize well with a screening scorpion squad .   If i drop the autarch, bring the scorps down to 7 dudes each, and swtich the d-cannons to shadow weavers (or just remove one)  I'd be happy to afford a DA shrine. 

Thanks for the feed back.

Offline davethemadorctwo

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 2, 2015, 05:41:30 AM »
there is a good reason for running scorpz in 7's - or even 9's unless your meta is heavy on templates - they arent just a fist delivery system - the extra models stop them running away after the first casualty !

imo. shining spears are better all around as they can take on a wider selection of targets.

understand you are restricted by your models - but imo running walkers with scout and battle focus gives your other outflank/infiltrate units a bit of support - vypers are pretty much a waste of space - but it depends on your scenarios as they can be useful for sneaking objectives or finishing off 'remnants' of enemy units.

good luck

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #5 on: December 2, 2015, 11:08:13 AM »
Honestly, rarely units flee from the fight from shooting, while melee is a totally different story.

The average meta is based on non competitive lists - just to have fun. So these lists are made with regards to just either story line or local campaign settings. This means in a opposing unit you'll probably meet 1 or 2 models that has AP3 in CC.

While the tourney meta are made with lists to just win and it has barely anything of a fluff to it. Keep this in thought, that most folks will probably have more than enough AP3 or better in a unit for CC.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat