News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salamander's Shoulder pad  (Read 4058 times)

Offline chaos_eldar14

Salamander's Shoulder pad
« on: September 15, 2006, 07:42:45 AM »
Erm.... i need help with this. i am not quite sure about the signds or symbols or what ever you call them that the salamanders have, shown on the shoulder pad...

What i am trying to say is what else is displayed on the shoulder pad of the salamanders other than their chapter symbol?

Offline Krom_Stormbrow

• Blood Claw
  • (Formally pod_meister)
Re: Salamander's Shoulder pad
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:43:43 AM »
I should imagine on the right pad they will have the standard organisation symbols. Codex: space marines tells you what these are. And the left pad is pretty much always just chapter symbol.

Although salamanders might be different with their organisation symbols. I use space wolves and their organisation iconography is drastically different to other chapters.

Hope this helps and can point you in the right direction.

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 09:30:54 AM »
 From Wikipedia...

Appearance and Colors

In early 1st edition Salamanders had Salamander Black armour highlighted with Salamander Green to give a very dark green appearance to the models. Honour, squad and rank markings used either standard codex schemes or flame motifs. There were two important variations from "codex" chapters at the time:

1. Salamander banners all had plain fields as the markings were hidden in the infrared spectrum.
   2. Salamander Apothecaries had the lower body in chapter colors. The chest, left arm and left side of helmet were painted white while the right arm and right side of the helmet were red. The reason for this was that one Salamander apothecary painted his arm and helmet red to hide the blood of his brothers which he refused to wash off. Note that only the right side was painted red as this was the arm he used to hold his reductor, used to administer "The Emperor's Peace"

In 3rd Edition and with the publication of Codex-Armageddon - chronicling the 3rd war for the planet of Armageddon - the Salamanders changed to their current scheme of bright green armour (Snot Green highlighted with Scorpion Green) with black shoulders, gold trim and ornamentation on their weapons and vehicles. Their standard symbol is a white silhouette of the spiked head of a Salamander lizard (actual colors depend on the Company)

Salamander Space Marines have often been depicted in both drawings and models as having Negroid (or African) features and skin colours.

Also see this: http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Codex/Salamanders_Army.html

Hope that I've helped!
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline chaos_eldar14

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:34 PM »
I ask this cos in both the  new space marine codex and the armeggedon codex they show the salamanders as having flame symbols on their right shoulder pad.but in the index astartes they show one of them with the tactical arrow on his right...therefore i am now very confused

Offline Rogue-Angel

• Messenger of Death
    • the Rogue-Angel's home
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »
Well, their chapter/company symbol is on the one shoulder. The other has some form of squad/organizational marking. The exact manner may vary per company, or even per squad, so in the end it matters little.
I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more...

Quote from: Invidious
I like Imperial Fists because they just seem like ultimate badasses, something about the bright yellow armor says they don't take no for an answer.
The Imperial Fists are right there, in your face, ready to take what you got and beg for more.

"Thats right.  Right here.  Shoot me.  Comon!  I dare you to shoot me!"

Offline Magus_42

• Deathwing Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 08:43:07 PM »
The old Index Astartes article on Salamanders described their insignia. The left shoulder pad has the chapter symbol. The colors used on this shoulder pad indicate company:

1st/2nd Company: white insignia on black background
3rd company: oranage insignia on black bacground
4th company: green insignia on black bacground
5th company (reserve): black insignia on yellow background
6th company (reserve): green insignia on yellow background
7th company (scout): black insignia on white background

For my personal army, I changed the scout colors, giving the scouts the same chapter insignia as the rest of the army (mine are 3rd company), and making their right shoulder pad white with a 7 (from the space wolves decal sheet) to indicate their scout company status.

Squad numbers are displayed on the right knee. A flame or hammer honor marking may be displayed on the left knee. You can also paint flames on the lower legs as an alternative marking. I use a single flame to indicate sergeant status, and a single hammer to indicate veteran status. Senior officers may have crossed hammers.

The right shoulder pad has a flame insignia on it. Salamanders do not use the same squad markings as other chapters.  Scouts have some sort of stylized mark in the IA article which I can't really describe to you. Example flame insignia can be found in Index Astartes or Codex: Armegeddon. For my personal, I used different flame insignia to indicate tactical, assault, and devastator squads.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 08:44:44 PM by Magus_42 »

Offline chaos_eldar14

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 01:08:01 AM »
 Thx for your help now i finally have an idea how to put the insigna for my bro's salamanders.....thx again