News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Fall of Cadia  (Read 10985 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: The Fall of Cadia
« Reply #20 on: January 8, 2017, 09:15:22 AM »
I'm 100% gonna pick this up too. I've not regretted picking up any of the narrative, campaign driven supplements and I've picked up quite a few. This is gonna be great because its a scenario thats totally open to a number of factions... and I can easily substitute my Dark Angels for the Black Templars, or just incorporate their presence as a side story.

You must be super stoked KS, as your recently (somewhat recently) completed Scions will be filled with zeal to annihilate the Traitors.

Really really happy that the 13th Black Crusade is gonna dominate 40k for awhile... to Chaos vs the Imperium is the heart of the game and it looks like GW has eye on keeping all the factions involved in and around the main conflict. Great times ahead!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 10:40:33 AM »
I'm 100% gonna pick this up too. I've not regretted picking up any of the narrative, campaign driven supplements and I've picked up quite a few. This is gonna be great because its a scenario thats totally open to a number of factions... and I can easily substitute my Dark Angels for the Black Templars, or just incorporate their presence as a side story.

You must be super stoked KS, as your recently (somewhat recently) completed Scions will be filled with zeal to annihilate the Traitors.

Really really happy that the 13th Black Crusade is gonna dominate 40k for awhile... to Chaos vs the Imperium is the heart of the game and it looks like GW has eye on keeping all the factions involved in and around the main conflict. Great times ahead!

I'm really interested in the Formations which include Scions in them. Might have to pick up some marines. Or, a buddy of mine plays Black Templar, maybe he'll want to buy my scions off me, so I can focus on my Chaos Space Marines lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 12:43:33 PM »
Sell you Scions!? NO!!! KS that army looks so rad... do not sell it! You worked too dang hard on that army. That'd be tragic. Don't do it!

Anyway... minor hobby fit out of my system. Very interested in the formations myself. I really hope there is something for Imperial Guard in there... or my brother is gonna flip.

Can't wait to get the book...Did you get it? Perhaps you could hook us up with a mini-review when you do?

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:32 PM »
I didn't order the book yet, I just spent $500 on getting my car towed and a new battery put in (expensive Cadillac battery), so I'm waiting until my next pay day to order the book and the three models.

It's not out until next weekend anyway, so I'm probably not going to get it much later than if I pre-ordered it anyway.

Scions look cool, but they are so crap in the game. But, I've been having a lot of fun allying them with my Harlequins.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
So, I picked up the book and read it today.

Wow! So cool! I'm not going to give any spoilers, but all factions are in the book (besides, Tau and Tyranids).

The book takes place after the events of the Eye of Terror campaign, which it turns out was the first stage in the invasion of Cadia during the 13th Black Crusade. Also, it turns out that all of Abaddons 'failed' Black Crusades accomplished more than the Imperium initially thought, and were actually all victories for Chaos the whole time (And Cadia is the last step in that plan).

The book talks about the Cadian Pylon's, and goes into the mystery of them. The ending sets things up well for the next book in the series. I cannot wait to see where our intrepid heroes/Villains end up in the next part of The Gathering Storm.

The artwork was a good combination of new and old artwork, and there wasn't too many colour plates.

The rules for the Heroes are crazy, and the Formations sound like a lot of fun too. I might have to get the Triumvirate box, so I can have Celestine lead my Scion army.

If folks have any questions, feel free to ask!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
I almost bought the book yesterday, but had to pick up painting supplies instead  :'( :'( :'(

Was talking to some folks at the store and looking at the Eldar pics (did you guys see that Wraithlord sized dude with crazy armor hidden in the background?)

Could you give me any insights into the Eldar's role? I believe Ulthwe shows up if I heard right... Any details?

Thanks KS can't wait to get ahold of this book myself

• Ancient
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 08:27:21 AM »
Yeah, there is some sort of model, obscured by smoke and light. Not sure what it is. I'm sure we'll find out in the 'Gathering Storm' Part 2.

The eldar has a lot of influence on the story. There is a shadowseer who helps lead events along the beginning of the story (and getting Cawl to get going to Cadia).

Ulthwe and the Dark Eldar show up at one point to help the beleaguered imperial forces as they are on the ropes. I don't want to get too much into spoilers.

There is a great scene with Trayzen the Infinite, where he is facing down Abaddon and the Bringers of Despair, and starts letting loose all sorts of confused Imperial warriors, from across time and space, from his Tesseract Vault.  A group of Horus Heresy Era Ultramarines pop out, and have no idea what's going on, but do recognize that one side is obviously following Chaos.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:26 AM »
So GW has dropped another teaser trailer today and it shows a small quote from Ahriman about the Eldar being "Safe in the knowledge the soul would live again" and it shows a rune.
The rune belongs to Eldrad Ulthran but above it is the "Infinity" rune, is Eldrad going to finally succumb and become part of the infinity circuit?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
Never thought of that AP. Who knows, it's certainly a possibility in these tempestuous times.

Just finished the book myself and I think it's tremendous. I haven't read a vast amount of these campaign type books; I did read most of the End Times and enjoyed them, but there was always a little too much 'In the nick of time' type stuff going on. You know, someone you thought dead turning up to save the day and what have you.

Not in Fall of Cadia. People tend not to turn up in the nick of time. People die, others get into a lot of trouble and I think the book is better for it.

I like the journey the book takes you on and can't wait for the next instalment (and the delicious minis it will bring!). If you're still on the fence, I urge you to get it. Great book.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 03:26:17 PM »
Well they are releasing new models for Eldar.. and well two if them are a mess.

Yncarne, the Avatar of Ynnead, has a slannesh style horn sticking out of its head.. wtf. The being summoned into reality thing.. points for giving it a go, but..

Yvraine, Emissary of Ynnead, whats with the giant arrows sticking out of her hair piece.. The bottom half of the mini just looks out of proportion.

I can't help but feel they were trying too hard on the first two.

The Visarch, Sword of Ynnead, looks badass, but looks more DE than CWE.

• Ancient
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:52 PM »
I really like all three. The sculpts are absolutely phenomenal. I cannot wait to pick up the next book.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/22/gathering-storm-ii-first-look/

Link for those interested.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »
I'm 100% in love with them... despite the fact that I try to make my guys look tough, cool and badass, I always gravitate towards the weirder more bizarre stylings of 40k. I also love them because they are NEW! not resculpts and of course they symbolize the birth Ynnead! Thats what has me more excited than anything else.

I'm going to get all 3... and they've got me pumped to expand my Eldar collection to models outside of the Corsair theme. While I feel they fit right in with what I've got...

I must add (enter egoism) I feel somebody has been looking at my minis... The Blade of Ynnead looks like he came right out of my army! My Corsair Prince's were wondering where that suit of armor went too... Damn Harlequins did they steal it when he was off pillaging Imperial Worlds?

All kidding aside I love the minis and can't wait to add them to my collection and use them in the campaign missions. I'm beyond stoked!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:36:51 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
I am definitely going to be adding them to my collection, I do love the sculpts though I admit that I do have a few gripes with two of them.
The Visarch just looks awesome, he looks like a total badass and I really hope the rules back this up.
The Yncarne I like although I'm not sure about the weird Slaaneshi horn that's coming from it's head. Got to be honest part of me is seeing a conversion for a Fulgrim Daemon Prince with this model......
Yvaine I like although the Child bearing hips aren't particularly Eldar!
All three sculpts are very detailed and fit the direction that they are seeming to want to take of Eldar and Dark Eldar being very much more allied now.
I am assuming that they are going to be releasing them all as one box set like the Triumvirate of the Imperium box.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »

The Yncarne I like although I'm not sure about the weird Slaaneshi horn that's coming from it's head. Got to be honest part of me is seeing a conversion for a Fulgrim Daemon Prince with this model......

Yvaine I like although the Child bearing hips aren't particularly Eldar!

I have a big problem with the horn, it looks very ordinary and too chaosy for Eldar, but then again it might turn out they've raise another demon god lol.

That rune is also an issue, it looks like its going to battle holding a book end... If an Eldar is going to have a rune, it should be floating Farseer style.

Yvaine might turn out to be half human, might explain those hips lol. The rest of the model is OK.

Yeah I'm a sucker for Eldar models so I'll end up getting it, but the horn is going, might have to see if that rune can be replaces with a head/skull from a slaanesh creature. That stupid head dress from Yvaine is going as well.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
There's a very strong, interesting Dark Eldar vibe throughout the models, which raises a bunch of questions. Ynnead is supposed to be a product of the Infinity Circuits of the Craftworlders and the World Spirits of the Exodites... The Dark Eldar have nothing to contribute.

I don't think Yvraine's got particularly un-Eldar-y physique. Rather, she's wearing an almost Victorian dress that greatly exaggerates her hips. I absolutely adore the model though, from the flowing gown to the bodysuit underneath to the way the rigid feathers on her headdress mimic spikes... Absolutely gorgeous.

I think the paint job on the Yncarne is... lacklustre. It's an amazing model, with so many cool details, but i feel like those psychic winds don't have enough contrast. Still, considering the recurring Dark Eldar styles across all 3, the horns don't seem that out of place, particularly given the violent, almost sinister nature of the god the Eldar were trying to create in the first place. When you consider the Masks of the Harlequins, and the Avatar of Khaine, it's very clear that these are violent, terrifying warrior aspects of the gods, not the friendly ones the Eldar may have worshipped in temples in the past. I'd even expect an avatar of Isha (not that one exists) to be more like Drycha than like the old (or even new) Alarielle.

The Visarch, though, is probably my favourite. I can't wait to see someone paint him in gold. It's an amazing combination of High Elf, Dark Eldar and Autarch, and really feels like it embodies the Eldar emphasis on beauty as well as function.

Vekh's spear, i need to get my painting station cleaned...

Also, i'm not dead yet.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
@Lachdonin- Hey man glad to see you on the boards :) Also yeah I agree the Yncarne's warpy energy could use more of an iridescence to it. Its a little flat... my friend said that as well. There's this crazy Vampire Counts chariot thing with ghosts all over it where they perfected painting that ghostly energy. I'll be mimicking that when I paint this beauty. Anyway great points and glad to see you on the boards :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't like these models as much as the Triumvirate models. They are brilliant models in their own right and the level of detail is phenomenal but personally I do not like the vibe I get from them.

Other than the Visarch I would never have guessed that the Yvraine and Yncarne were meant to be Eldar/Dark Eldar. The Yncarne wouldn't look out of place in AoS and I do not like the steam punk vibe that Yvraine is giving off.

The Visarch is awesome though and I really like the mini-me Avatar look that it has got.

Given that the FALL of Cadia has led to bad things for Cadia should the Biel-Tan be worried by the release of something called the Fracture of Biel-Tan

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:01:52 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »
My LGW manager pointed out something with the Avatar model that I missed the first time through.  Notice the one breast / giant horn?  Does that remind anyone of a particular chaos god?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 08:18:24 PM »
My LGW manager pointed out something with the Avatar model that I missed the first time through.  Notice the one breast / giant horn?  Does that remind anyone of a particular chaos god?

See, i didn't get that vibe. I just assumed that it was like the Avatar of Khaine, and it was a sacrificed Eldar being torn apart by the psychic power of the god they were manifesting. The breast simply indicates the host was female, and the hips, and the face seem to support that. It's hard to tell with the other side of the chest, but it looks more like it's disintegrating rather than being the usual split male-female build of Slaaneshi Daemons. There's also not anything about the horns that specifically scream 'Slaanesh' to me either.

Doesn't mean there isn't something to the idea, but it's definitely not something that jumped out at me personally.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:30 AM »
Yeah I'm a bit more with Lachdonin on this one. Though I there are similarities to be sure... I think its just a bit of cross over due to the Eldar female god-like being.

@Everybody- On Gathering Storm I: Fall of Cadia... I just began reading it and I'm actually very much into it. I'm 20+ pages deep and I'm surprised by how much I like the writing. I tried reading Wrath of Magnus but I just couldn't get into it. It was a little too cheesy... I love the way Fall of Cadia started with the grinding misery of the Imperium, then diving into the war on Cadia immediatley and Castellan Creed's challenge to Abaddon... really sick stuff. Castellan Creed challenging Abaddon in a game of brinkmanship is really cool.

I just like the tone and pace... its fast, grim and it doesnt hestitate to let big characters get involved. I can't wait to read more