News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranid Harpy  (Read 1890 times)

Offline starstrider

• Ork Boy
  • Armies: Sisters of Battle, Order of the Sacred Rose
Tyranid Harpy
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »
Hey guys.

So I've been putting together a list of flyers currently around in 6th from codices, IA, Aeronautica, etc in the begginers and newbs section since, as a new player who played before these all existed, I've found them to be a bit overwhelming. I know nothing about tyranids, but someone in my thread mentioned that one of their flyers is the Harpy. Unfortunately, he didn't know much about it and left it for people more in the know to give a run down of what it's like. It's been three or four days and I've had no luck, so I thought I'd take my inquiry right to the tyranid forum and see if anyone can tell me a bit about the harpy and any other tyranid flyers that might be out there?

Nothing that breaks copyright of course, just a vague description of the unit and what it does. If possible, a mention of where it's latest most up to date rules and/or faq exist would be awesome as well. For an example of the type of description I want you can just see entries already in the thread:
Flyers of the 41st Millenium

You can either leave the answer here or in that thread. I'll edit it into my op and give you the credit either way.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
Re: Tyranid Harpy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
  First off hello there.  Let me start by saying that us Tyranids actually don't even have a single flyer.  FLYING Monstrous creatures are our version and they have a few subtle differences.  These include a shorter required distance to move (with the option of running,) being able to fire in ALL directions unlike the directional shots of others, and we have to take grounded tests everytime we get HIT (not wounded..  so yes a markerlight or lasgun can drop you and inflict the automatic S9 hit, forcing you to ground.  Also as per the last FAQ this is our only way to get skyfire in our codex, seeing as we got excluded from being able to use fortifications guns. The Harpy is our only FMC by default loadout as well, but our Tyrant can become one with a wings upgrade.

If the other flyers overwhelmed you then don't worry, ours are almost harmless.  The Harpy is terrible at lower than average MC toughness, armour and toughness (making vector strike pointless.)  It also has blast weapons, (so dogfighting is impossible,) and needs to be babysat by synapse.  Although I have proxied them a few times just to try, they have never done anything productive.

The Tyrants on the other hand are a little more interesting. They are going to cost around 225-250 though so you better hope you picked the Brainleech Devourers to have a chance at shooting the other flyers.  At least 12 Twin-linked S6 shots have a chance of glancing most flyers out of the sky.  Pair this with biomancy and it CAN be scary.  The only thing is all those other flyers have skyfire too and 3+ isn`t going to help against anything shooting at it.

I give the Flyrant a 9.5 out of 10 and the Harpy a 3.  Hopefully this helped a little.
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"