News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [a few questions]  (Read 1892 times)

Offline siggi28

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
[a few questions]
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
1.Hey I read a while ago that Guard can give Hive tyrant cover save? isn't that just bullamphetamine parrot or?
2.Can MC shoot at one target and then charge another? ( I couldn't see anything that said they could but I just want to be sure)
3.Would you recommend to give flying tyrant warp blast?

[Topic edited for clarity.
Please try to make the subject-line reflect the contents of the post in some meaningful way
Have a nice day
]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:22:59 AM by Ardeth Bey »

Offline 13thMordReaper

• Nothing else puts fear into human hearts
Re: ????????????
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:35:39 PM »
1) Well the model that gives a cover save should 'cover' around half the model. So unless you have a small tyrant or tall guardsmen, they probably can't give a cover save. ~ ignore

2) no you cannot shoot at one unit and then assualt another. Unless you shoot and destroyed a transport and are assualting the unit inside of it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:17:34 AM by 13thMordReaper »

Offline eurynomos

• OMFG ZERG RUSH1!!1!1111ONE1
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
1) they way people generally pull it off is this: with the guard becoming part of the unit the tyrant is in, if you can give cover to the guard, it provides cover to the whole unit, and so the tyrant too.  So gaunts screen the guard which provides them and the tyrant with cover.
2) just no.  and for the warp blast bit, still no: transport and transportees are not the same target, so if you shoot dead the transport, you can't assault the troops.  and if you have 2 ranged weps with the tyrant (the whole MC thing) you can't fire the other at the troops.  like I say: completely seperate targets.  you have to take care of them with something else
-=good luck, have fun, don't die=-

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
2)  transport and transportees are not the same target, so if you shoot dead the transport, you can't assault the troops. 

You can do this, actually. It is the only exception to the rule/s of not being able to shoot then assault different targets.  Pop a transport, and you can assault the guys that spill out of it (if any do).

Other than that, you pretty much nailed the rest. :)

Offline eurynomos

• OMFG ZERG RUSH1!!1!1111ONE1
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
reeeeeeally.  interesting...mmmm, I'm going to go read about that some more

but, that's what you get for thinking you know it all and not having your sources around to back you up; tsk tsk me
-=good luck, have fun, don't die=-

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:17:02 AM »
1.  Yes, Guard can fairly easily give a Tyrant a cover save.  The Guard are standard infantry, meaning only the pinky toe needs to be covered to give them a cover save.  If the majority of the unit is in cover, the entire squad gains the benefit.  Worst case scenario is you only have 1 guard left (or started that way), so half the unit is in cover.  I can't remember if that's the bare bones minimum, or if that would take it down to a 5+... either way, it's still a cover save of some sort.

Some say it's a cheesy way of giving Tyrants a cover save... I say that Guard are meant to... you know, guard the Tyrant... and you do pay a hefty price for them.  One of the benefits is being able to get cover more easily.

2.  No, not under current rules.  Back in the day (maybe in 3rd, or the Trail Assault Rules or something) TMC's could shoot one thing and charge another - and even shoot a different unit than the squad they were with - but currently that's not the case.

3.  Sure, if you like Warp Blast.  If you're going for tank-hunting, yeah, it gives you a chance to pop the tank/transport then jump on the guys inside.  If you're just going for extra killy in general... well, you have it.  I personally like to keep my Flyrant cheap... he clocks in at just under 150.  Not a bad upgrade, though.

Khira'lyth

Offline ozzfann0666

• Death is Overrated. Chaos is not.
    • My Dice Suck
Re: [a few questions]
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »
Can I ask where in the rules it says you can assault a unit that comes out of the popped transport?

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:58:30 AM »
Page 67, just above the box titled "Dedicated Transports"
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:25 AM »
Siggi28, as for question 1, are you talking about Imperial Guard, Or Tyrant Guard?

I assume Tyrant Guard, but I could be wrong as. Though if so, i agree with Khira'Lyth.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 08:43:48 AM »
He's talking about Tyrant Guard, since I've looked through the Tyranid Codex a few times now and have never seen Imperial Guard in it anywhere

Offline ozzfann0666

• Death is Overrated. Chaos is not.
    • My Dice Suck
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:10 AM »
Wow Chuckles, thanks for pointing that infor out to me about the popped transports! That will put give me a nice advantage!

Offline 13thMordReaper

• Nothing else puts fear into human hearts
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 11:16:55 AM »
Oh. oops i thought he was talking about like allied imperial guard... ignore the first part of my post.

Yea blowing up a tranport and attacking the unit inside is very much possible  ;)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
If I recall correctly, if, and only if, you completely destroy the target you shot at, you can assault a different target. That applies not only to transports but to anything. If you manage to wipe out a unit of infantry with shooting, you can still assault a different unit. I do not remember exactly where I read this in the rule book.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »
If I recall correctly, if, and only if, you completely destroy the target you shot at, you can assault a different target. That applies not only to transports but to anything. If you manage to wipe out a unit of infantry with shooting, you can still assault a different unit. I do not remember exactly where I read this in the rule book.

The reason you can't remember is because this is simply not true, the provision applies solely to transport vehicles

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 05:02:05 PM »
3.Would you recommend to give flying tyrant warp blast?

I would actually go for the warp field myself, expecially when the earthshakers and battlecannons start flying! Yes it still is ignored by AP2 but it is a lifesaver against most IG ordinance and krak missiles, and it helps if, like me, you fail an inordinate amount if 3+ saves. And hell you might save your invulnerable! It really does add quite a bit to the survivability of the flyrant, whereas if you want warp blast you can't really take enhanced senses as well so it misses half the time. To be honest he flyrant is better off ripping up tanks with its claws. Leave the shooty AT to your carnifexes.
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #15 on: July 1, 2009, 03:44:50 AM »
My warp field always kicked in for an invulnerable save and it saved at least one wound every game. My friends have developed a saying when they shoot at my Hive Tyrant and I save: "warp field stabilized" like in starcraft. I am so good with it I even saved a double 6+ for a thrope against pyschic failure warp attack. They just looked at me with pale eyes, trying to figure out if life was really as it was thought to them ;)

So I would prefer it over warp blast, because wb will probably kick in once at most maybe twice, which has no guarantee to work at all. On the other hand, wf will always improve your save, helps against focused small arms fire and misiles, and also in cc. The flyrant is fragile and deadly. covering the weak side is much better, as it is also a synapse source and trying to keep it alive has a good point.
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #16 on: July 1, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »
My warp field always kicked in for an invulnerable save and it saved at least one wound every game. My friends have developed a saying when they shoot at my Hive Tyrant and I save: "warp field stabilized" like in starcraft. I am so good with it I even saved a double 6+ for a thrope against pyschic failure warp attack. They just looked at me with pale eyes, trying to figure out if life was really as it was thought to them ;)
Dude, that's just wrong. Lol. Props on the 6's.

So I would prefer it over warp blast, because wb will probably kick in once at most maybe twice, which has no guarantee to work at all. On the other hand, wf will always improve your save, helps against focused small arms fire and misiles, and also in cc. The flyrant is fragile and deadly. covering the weak side is much better, as it is also a synapse source and trying to keep it alive has a good point.
Yes, and keeping it alive is even more important in Scenario 2 of 'Ard Boyz where your flyrant is suddenly worth 5 kill points! (not sure if you were planning to use this in 'Ard Boyz or not but just figured I'd mention it.) But yeah, WF helps it stay alive longer whereas WB will probably get to shoot once before your flyrant dies horribly to a missile or something. 

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #17 on: July 1, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »
1.Hey I read a while ago that Guard can give Hive tyrant cover save? isn't that just bullamphetamine parrot or?
With the way you've worded this, it is bullamphetamine parrot. They're one unit, so the Guard don't give cover to the Tyrant. However, as they are now one unit if the Guard are largely (over 50%) obscured then the unit will be granted a cover save.

Offline Khodexus

• BANNED Spammer - Mods simply don't understand
  • I guess I'm just safest not posting anything...
« Reply #18 on: July 2, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
The Tyrant Guard are not monstrous creatures, so as long as at least 1-2 (dending on if you only have one or if you have more) of the Tyrant Guard are at least partially obscure, the whole unit will gain the benefit of the cover save, since they'll equal 50% of the unit.

"-That is all."
Current Projects: Necrondus – the Lost City, Codex: Dark Eldar – Revised.  C&C appreciated.

Dark Eldar Poster of the Year 009.M3 (2009)
BANNED spammer 010.M3 (2010)

Offline Zeller

• Clark 15B, Stop'em Dead.
    • Gallery of my various W.I.P.s
« Reply #19 on: July 2, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »
Can I tack a question on here?

Can a tyrant guard unit be taken even if the player chooses not to bring a tyrant?