News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Taking the rear seats out of the trukk?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
Taking the rear seats out of the trukk?
« on: July 1, 2014, 05:27:39 PM »
I am aware this may be a heretical suggestion, but looking through the new codex, I found myself beginning to wonder whether, given the changes to ramshackle and mob rule, it is still mandatory to put 12 boyz in every trukk?

Hear me out. With the changes to the above rules, if a trukk gets popped, you are going to lose some boys, almost certainly to the explosion, and then potentially more to mob rule for pinning/casualty tests. So a trukk mob that gets popped is probably largely useless whether it started with 10 or 12. So, if I'm taking 5 trukks (and why wouldn't you) then I can get a whole new squad for just the price of an extra trukk by dropping to 10 in each trukk (nob excepted of course).

'Ard boy trukkers may be better off, and therefore better to max numbers with, but that's less about the spam. Any thoughts?

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Taking the rear seats out of the trukk?
« Reply #1 on: July 2, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Well, your point about casualties is the same reason you need to take a full load of boys. Since we now will take casualties when our trucks explode, you need more boys so you have some left after the explosion.

Now, giving all your boys heavy armor is a good idea, but it decreases the amount of points left for other stuff, a tough trade off.

Still, nine truck loads of boys is going to be hard for the enemy to get them all. (see the new ork force org at the back of the codex)

Now, I have to go buy more trucks so my TBs and Burnas have a ride as well. Who needs bikes when you have trucks?
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2014, 05:48:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm not really thinking about 'ard boyz, since that's a different ballgame (although multiple units of 'ard boyz is not an uninteresting prospect).

But with regular trukk boyz, if the trukk explodes, half the unit will take wounds. Allowing for the fact that you will likely save one, you are left with 7 out of twelve, or 6 out of 10. Not sure this is a big enough difference to warrabt the extra expenditure, especially if I'm taking 5+ trukks - wouldn't I rather another trukkload of 10 to potentially hit the enemy lines unscathed?

Add on to that that there is a reasonable chance that after the explosion the mob will fail one of the two morale tests, and either run away or suffer a couple more casualties, I'm thinking that a trukk that gets popped is essentially a written off mob now.

Of course, this isn't true if the trukk is wrecked/immob., but it seems that more lists are able to ap2 pen trukks than ever. Maybe that's just my opponents, I've only had a couple of test games in 7th so far.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2014, 02:50:56 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong...but don't you have to have at least 10 in a mob?  What difference would 2 extra boyz make when a trukk gets popped?  I'm probably speaking waaayyy out of line here as I haven't played a game yet, but I kind of like the 10 boyz in a trukk.  I wouldn't waste heavy armor on all of them, but I would designate "the sacrifical lambs" as it were and send regular boyz screaming towards the enemy as a destraction.  It's more kunnin' that way...just a thought...now I have to get me some trukks to try this out...curse my over active mind...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?