News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork 1k list - for new player  (Read 2655 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Ork 1k list - for new player
« on: February 2, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
So I am teaching some new players the game. They have a relatively good understanding of all the rules except for flyers - so no flyers are allowed.

The biggest issue they have is with making decent army lists - so I have made some for them. Here is my idea of a Ork 1k list. Please feel free to C&C

98 pts – Big Mek with a Shokk attack gun and an ammo runt

147 pts – 12 Boyz, with a Nob, with a Power Klaw and Boss pole, I a trukk with Red paint
147 pts – 12 Boyz, with a Nob, with a Power Klaw and Boss pole, I a trukk with Red paint

100 – Deff Dread with a Kustum Mega Blasta and a Rokkit Launcher

105 pts – Looted wagon with a Boom gun

45 pts – Warbuggy upgraded to a skorcha
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
Re: Ork 1k list - for new player
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
Overall the list is a bit dull. All your troop selections are the same as each other (literally copy pasted as the spelling error is in all 3). Ditto for the HS section.

So your warboss is a big mek with shokk attack gun.
There are no units for him to join.
If I was facing this then I would fire a couple of lascannons/missile launchers at him and gain the warlord kill bonus point and probably first blood.
You should either give him a Kustom Force Field and put him in a trukk (need to drop an ork to do so) or give him a unit of Grotz. The grotz both protect the warlord and provide a scoring unit to sit on a home objective.

I personally prefer to run my dreads with 2 skorchaz. I means that you don't get distracted from running at your opponent by doing something silly like shooting.

I love my boomgun wagons but I think that 3 might be a bit spammy. Especially seeing as how your trukk boyz want to be right next to your enemy. Collateral damage is fun but you do still need some boyz left over to claim objectives

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
Looks like the start to a good speed freak list, and I do love that red paint!  :)

First up, drop the silly gun from the big mek and give him a KFF and a boss pole.
Second, give the trucks boarding planks, this allows you to attack armor without getting out of the truck and is effective against dreads as they dont get to attack back. Really fun against death company dreads  ;D
Third, make one unit of boys shootas, these are your drive by boys, a great hoot to play.

Drop two of the looted wagons and instead get a unit of lootas. Great range and high enough strength to kill almost everything. Put the big mek here, as lootas don't have an option for a nob or a boss pole.

With the last of the points add in a single deff copta with a saw (green baron style) and use him to get at those pesky whirlwinds and basilisks.

Instead of a boom gun put a pair of skorchas on the looted wagon and use it to chase pesky scouts, pathfinders, rangers, and other units with built in cover saves.

This will make a fast list that gets in close where orks like to be. Make sure to have the new player that you are teaching to be an ork join this forum, so we can teach him to krump the enemy, see them flee before him, and hear the lamentations of their players  8)

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
Thanks for the feedback - I am not an Ork player at all, any yes, the list is spamy - idea being that the less types of units they have to use the easier it is.

Anyways, will try and make some changes and re post latter tonight. Thanks

ADD ON

Ok, I have some proper time to give to this now.

I have always liked the speed freek lists, but I don't necessarily want to push this player towards that (although I will definitely show it :) )

So revisiting the list, something like this...

90 pts – Big Mek with KFF and Boss Pole

152 pts – 12 Boyz, with a Nob, with a Power Klaw and Boss pole, in a trukk with Red paint and a Boarding Ramp
152 pts – 12 Boyz, with a Nob, with a Power Klaw and Boss pole, in a trukk with Red paint and a Boarding Ramp
130 pts – 20 Boyz, with shootas, two with a big shoota (Will go in the Battle Wagon)

85 – Deff Dread with two skorchas

195 pts - 13 Lootas

135 pts - BattleWagon with 4 Big shootas, Red Paint, and a Deff Rolla

60 pts - Deffcopta with a Buzzsaw
« Last Edit: February 4, 2014, 10:36:28 AM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
That looks like a great start of a speed freak list. I am liking it a lot  ;D

The only suggestion would be to put the lootas in the BW and have the 20 boy squad walk around with the dread. Then somewhere get the the points for a nob with boss pole in the shoota boy squad.

Other than that, it is looking like a fine start. Now; we need some pictures  :o Try to coerce erm, suggest, your new player post some pictures here of his/her new army  8)
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2014, 11:06:42 AM »
Why would you put the lottas in the BW?

My thought would be to use speed to get the lesser range up faster, and not have to snap shot with the lootas
Flawless logic.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
You take a minimum equipped BW as movable cover for the lootas. Sure if it moves then the lootas now need 6s to hit rather than 5s, but it isn't that much of a difference. Plus, if scenery is sparse, or the roll off for sides is unfavorable to finding a tall ruin to put the lootas in, then they have effective cover. AV14/12 with four hull points is hard to get through and will save most of your lootas from getting shot up too soon.

As for the boys walking/running with the dread. With the dread out front it will draw the lionshare of incoming fire. Allowing an almost full strength squad of boys to charge in on turn 3.

Often times in that small of games your opponent will be having a hard time deciding on shooting at the lumbering dread that will shred his lines, or the BW full of lootas that is shredding his lines.

Just remember that everything in an ork army is expendable, and no unit should go it alone as orks are meant to be the mob, not the hero.

Hope that helps.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
I have an alternative solution...  I run 2 units of 6 lootas in two Flakka Trakks.  With this set up, you are looking at a cheaper firing platform than the battlewagon that can also hit with 4 autocannon shots a round...  When you do bring flyers in, the flakka can shoot them down too...  Plus, the lootas wreck face...  6 lootas is normally more than enough to take out light armor... 

What I do with them is place them in opposite corners in some cover so the vehical benefits from a cover save...  Then they go to town, normally all game long since my battle wagons and trukks are barreling down on them!

Adam 

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Making that change will free up some points - or I can drop the deff dread and have both loota squads in BW..... thoughts?
Flawless logic.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »
I would keep both the lootas/bw and dread/boyz units in the list. Both are competitive combos and you're trying to building a list for new players; spamming one or the other won't help teach them to play well rounded lists designed to take on any opponent. I also think there's nothing more satisfying for a new ork player than hitting the enemy lines with a big dread. I see this list having potential with hammer and anvil or pincer tactics. Depending your tactics I could see your mek with either the lootas in the bw or the shoota boyz with the dread.

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »
Ok, after some thought, I think I will keep the list as posted above, and allow the player to fine tune and decide what changes he wants to make. I will also help him see what he can change to make this list more effective, but I don't want to do all the work for him

;)

Thanks for the great input guys - will let you know how it goes soon
Flawless logic.