News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Shroud Runners and Autarch  (Read 70417 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Human Blood Bowl/Skitarii
« Reply #280 on: March 12, 2018, 07:06:37 AM »

You say there is a bit more weathering to do? I may lose favor with this, however, am hoping that weathering goes onto the exposed silver. At the moment it looks like sprayed on silver paint. We all know your skill level, Looshkin, so am sure it is already on the drawing board.

To be honest Looshkin I was all set to agree with Saim-Dann about the weathering on the Bots as it was so smooth and covered such a large area that it didn't really resemble weathering. Seeing your, as you put it, terribly lit pictures now though the weathering looks fine so I guess that in the original pictures the lighting must have influenced the brightness of the weathering.

The unit of Infiltrators look fantastic and they have really benefited from your metal painting ability. I also like how as a unit their poses make them look like they are all working together.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »
Knight??? Did I hear that right? I would love to see you tackle one of those.

I was with the other guys on the weathering of the bots, but the change in lightning does make it seem less like sprayed on paint and more like dirt. If you're going for actual paint chips, you may need to add some texture. I don't think you'd have to go as far as adding rust, but maybe just some typhus corrosion may give it a little more pop. Not to criticize your execution, as I've learned everything about weathering from you. It's just how it comes across in the photos. In real life, the weathering might be spot on, in which case I wouldn't touch it.

Another option is to add some grease or oil stains with some nuln oil dripping down, to break up the chips. That's probably just me channeling  my inner ork too much, as the mechanicus probably have much cleaner machines than the greenskins.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:13:12 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
Awesome to see them in a group shot :) Man that blue just pops love it!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #283 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:23 AM »
Man just awesome! I love the basing on all of them. The rocks really add a lot. The color of the flocks vs. the rocks. (lol) really adds a lot while tying in with grey metals. Dig it. Also the Infiltrators look awesome. I love how prominent the blue glowy bits are. They look fantastic. Nice job on the Datapad on the Apha/Squadleader too. Really sweet details. Great stuff as always Loosh. This army looks absolutley classic!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Looshkin's Everything Thread - Ad Mech
« Reply #284 on: March 16, 2018, 06:58:35 PM »
I see where you were going with the weathering on the bots now. With the stone, they do look a lot less blotchy and more worn. Very nice.

Thanks for all the nice things Saim-Dann! As for the bots, I think part of the problem is getting a good exposure. Against a white background, everything appears too dark. Against a dark background, it's all too light. Ideally, I'd have a game table backdrop but the lighting in my house is too poor for that until the Summer rolls round.

I weathered them as grey, with a dash of silver in order to give the impression of the Grey being where paint had chipped away...these things are ancient too, so it was always going to be a lot of paint! The silver is where the base layer of paint has also been chipped away to reveal the bare metal. I did it in line with GW's box art, but it's also the first model on a GW box that's made me think 'wow, bit over the top with the weathering there GW'. I kept the weathering grey to match the rock formations...necess ary imho given how much warmth the models have.

Anyhoo, thanks man!

The unit of Infiltrators look fantastic and they have really benefited from your metal painting ability. I also like how as a unit their poses make them look like they are all working together.

Hopefully the explanation above will give more flavour to the choices I made for the robots.

As for the Infiltrators, I would love to take the credit for the posing, but those bad boys are pretty much mono-pose, so hat tip to GW's design studio!

Knight??? Did I hear that right? I would love to see you tackle one of those.

I was with the other guys on the weathering of the bots, but the change in lightning does make it seem less like sprayed on paint and more like dirt. If you're going for actual paint chips, you may need to add some texture. I don't think you'd have to go as far as adding rust, but maybe just some typhus corrosion may give it a little more pop. Not to criticize your execution, as I've learned everything about weathering from you. It's just how it comes across in the photos. In real life, the weathering might be spot on, in which case I wouldn't touch it.

Another option is to add some grease or oil stains with some nuln oil dripping down, to break up the chips. That's probably just me channeling  my inner ork too much, as the mechanicus probably have much cleaner machines than the greenskins.

I may just take you up on the advice for the robots. One or two grease streaks would do wonders for them. I'll give it a go and show you the results.

As for the Knight? Ahem.......

Looshkin's Everything Thread - Adeptus Mechanicus

But I will be doing another, plus the 2 armigers should I successfully buy Forgebane when it's on sale tomorrow. I'll be trying a few new techniques with those guys, so it could be exciting or dreadfully frustrating times!

Awesome to see them in a group shot :) Man that blue just pops love it!

:D

Man just awesome! I love the basing on all of them. The rocks really add a lot. The color of the flocks vs. the rocks. (lol) really adds a lot while tying in with grey metals. Dig it. Also the Infiltrators look awesome. I love how prominent the blue glowy bits are. They look fantastic. Nice job on the Datapad on the Apha/Squadleader too. Really sweet details. Great stuff as always Loosh. This army looks absolutley classic!

Cheers man! The data pad was a total afterthought and I want to go back and do it again, but will only do so when the rest of the army is complete.

Anyway, exciting news time!

Loosh played a game today.

Yup. You read that right. I put down the paint brushes and picked up some dice for the first time in 8th edition  ???  Seriously, how could I have not got a game in before now??

I won't do a full report, as I was just enjoying things too much and totally forgot to take any notes after the first 2 turns. I played 950pts (A weird amount, but I forgot that the Chapter Approved had dropped a few points, so my 1000 point list was suddenly a bit cheaper than expected and the only things I could use to bump the points were a Knight or Belisarius, neither of which I wanted to field).

My list was, roughly:

1 x Tech Priest Dominus, Eradication Ray and Macrostubber
10 x Rangers with 2 Transuranic Arquebuseseses and an Arc Rifle, Alpha with Mace and Arc pistol
10 x Vanguard with 2 Plasma Calivers, Alpha with Taser Goad
5 x Sicarian Infiltrators with Flechette Blasters and Taste Goads
1 x Cybernetica Datasmith
2 x Kastelan Robots with Heavy Phosphor Blasters
1 x Onager Dunestalker with Eradication Beamer and stubber
1 x Ironstrider Ballistarius with Autocannons

Matt, the store manager, was playing some Primaris marines plus Terminators, roughly:

1 x Chaplain in terminator armour
5 x Terminators with Thunderhammer/Stormshield
5 x Intercessors with Stalker pattern Bolters (Or something like that)
1 x Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought with gatling cannon and fist
1 x Landraider

And I instantly knew I was in trouble. I had nothing in the army that could easily cause mortal wounds (Saves on the Kastean robots maybe, but I totally forgot that rule anyway), and I didn't have many dice to throw at things like the terminators to force a bunch of saves.

We played the Relic, which was placed in the centre of the board which had a fair amount of cover. We also didn't worry about secondary missions and things, or even command points, just so I could concentrate on not getting too many rules wrong on my first taste of 8th.

Turn 1

So, at the end of Turn 1 movement, the board looked like this:

I should have given the Vanguard a bit more cover and I probably wouldn't dropped my Infiltrators onto the building where they are, as Matt had totally forgotten to put down his Dreadnought, which ended up slotted behind his intercessors.

I shot everything that was in range at the intercessors, and only managed to bring down 1...which would be a harbinger of things to come. I elected not to try a 10 inch charge with the Infiltrators, but that would have been better than what would happen next.

Viewpoint of my infiltrators. They may have been more effective if, when working out their shots, I hadn't worked out that 5x5=15. I'm really good at mental arithmetic, but I think I was somewhat flustered today!!

Well, no photos from Primaris turn 1, with the Terminators plus Chaplain DSing as close to the relic as they could get. The intercessors also ran up in support. The Dreadnought carved up the infiltrators at range and then wiped them out in assault. I also lost a couple of Vanguard to some long range pot shots from the land raider.

Turn 2

Well, having played my Bro's Deathwing far too many times to count in previous editions, I had an unhealthy fear of the Terminators. I pretty much shuffled around my lines in order to get as many shots on them as possible, hoping to whittle them down so they were no longer a threat. I knew if they were next to the relic, I'd have no chance of getting to it.

And I brought the fury.

Oh...hang on...that's what I meant to bring, but instead I think I poked them in the nipples with a spoon. Everything bar the Dunecrawler shot at them and I only managed to take down 2. That was just an awful round of dice for me. I was hitting on 3s with a preroll of 1s due to the Tech priest...but nothing was getting through his saves...I either couldn't get him to roll enough dice, or he made saves like a hero!

The Dunecrawler shot the Dread, but only plinked off 3 wounds after Matt made a couple of saves on a 6 from the Eradication Beamer. Grrrrrr. Even more grrrrr? I realised 2 rounds later that the Dread was probably within 12 inches, so should have been taking no saves and 3xD6 damage.

Gotta learn my Codex!

In response, the Dread utterly butchered the Vanguard to a man. I also lost a Vanguard to a long range plink and then the Onager took 5 wounds, 1 away from dropping a stat line.

The scene before carnage started happening in my lines:

Turn 3

I managed to plink down a couple of intercessors with the Ironstrider. Other than that, I think everyone flubbed their attacks. I may have done a couple of wounds on the Dread, but he was firmly in my lines now.

In response, the Dread charged the robots and killed one. The Chaplain charged my Datasmith and reduced him to 2 wounds. The Onager got shot up and dropped a stat line and the Rangers took a couple of wounds.

Turn 4

The Intercessors started running away with the relic, while the Dread and Captain romped through my lines, killing the Dominus and the Dunecrawler. Again, I plinked off a few wounds here and there, but that was it. I think I took down 1 more intercessor though, leaving only 1.

Turn 5

The robot died, although he did get the Dread down to 2 wounds first. The rangers dies to a man. The Datasmith got punched in the face until he went down in a spray of oil.

But...

The Ironstrider killed the last Intercessor and only took 2 wounds from the Landraider.

At which point, the game ended. I had 'earned' a Minor Victory due to the fact that the Ironstrider was now closest to the Relic. A fact we found quite hilarious given the fact that Matt had a limping Dread, and untouched Chaplain, 2 Terminators and an untouched Landraider, while I only had a Chicken Walker with 4 wounds left!

Bwahahahahahahahaha haha!

Lessons Identified (Not learned. I've got to avoid making the same mistakes again for them to be learned):

1. Learn the units better. There were rules I totally overlooked. The ability to heal the vehicles each turn was totally forgotten. The reflective ability of robots to cause mortal wounds was forgotten. The fact that some models had invulnerable was totally overlooked.

2. Learn the weapons better. If I had remembered the full rules of the Eradication Beamer, maybe the Dread would not have run amok.

3. Slow down. I was trying to look good, rather than be good. What I mean is, I was trying to play a somewhat fast game, when stopping and checking rules would have been far wiser.

4. Fight someone who doesn't roll so many 6s. Seriously, for the first 3 turns, Matt could only roll 6s, while I was stuck with 1s and 2s, which leads me to...

5. Get better dice. Mine suck.

6. Play more. I had a total hoot. So did Matt (I think). I'll get the hang of things if a play a bit more and, more importantly, I really want to play more.

Cheers for stopping by everyone! Hopefully I'll have more updates in the near future!!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:05:08 PM by Looshkin »
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »
Hell yeah Loosh. Good for you man! So great to see you get in a game and whats more walk away with a win! Yeah I've watched a lot of Ad Mech bat-reps and they are a difficult army to master. If you are looking to get a bit more familiar with them I heartly recommend watching Scoprion82 and WintersSEO. Scorpion82's codex reviews are absolute gold to listen to while painting. Thats where I come up with most of my list concepts by listening and re-listening to his codex reviews. The bat-reps are great too because you get to see them in action.

As for the bat-rep itself, from what I've seen aggressive play from the Rust Stalkers and Infiltrators is best, especially when they are at full strength and they dont need to worry about overwatch.

Also that Redemptor Dread is a beast. I didn't think it was but after seeing it in a couple bat-reps its really blown me away. I HAVE to get one for my Dark Angels.

Either way I agree with your list of things to focus on next time out. Definitley go slow, especially at a thousand points. If there is one thing I'd add is, pick 3 stratagems and really memorize them and have them assigned to play no matter the opponent.

But man its great to see you play a game. I really hope it continues... especially with your.... ELDAR lol! I want to see those dudes hit the table, Alaitoc is so good! Anyway bud great stuff and so glad you had a good time. Keep rocking man, you are on a roll with all things hobby.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:25 PM »
Cheers Cav. Time is still fairly tight for me as far as the hobby is concerned, but I'll definitely try to fit in a few Scorpion BatReps or reviews so that I can understand the synergies a little better. I'm just so used to the way Eldar play, every little wrinkle and additional rule feels like a massive shift for me. I'm an old dog, Ad Mech are a new trick and I fear change! Ha!

As far as the Redemptor Dread goes, Matt mentioned that he's only fielded it twice and both times it sucked and got destroyed fairly easily. I fell into the trap of thinking I didn't have to worry...right until the first shooting phase when he picked up a bucket of dice to roll...

I will get back to the Eldar at some point. I've got some ideas for painting them that I want to try out. The thing that is holding me back is that I don't like my current colour scheme, so if I start something new, I either have to go back and repaint everything (unlikely) or buy new...and I don't want to buy new until plastic Aspects come out. So you should see some progress in 2047!

Tiny Micro update time!

Work continues on some Rangers and Vanguard that I have. I've done most of the base colours, so should complete everything this week if all goes smoothly.

I have also ordered Forgebane and a load of airbrush paints from Forgeworld. That'll be a slightly longer project when it all arrives.

Yesterday, though, I found a couple of craters that I had been working on. I gave them a wash (Basecoats were complete), a dry brush and then did my usual basing technique round the edges.

2 complete craters (sorry about the bad lighting. They're craters, I couldn't get excited about setting up better lighting.)

That's it for the moment. When I get more, I'll post it!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:02 AM »
G'day, Looshkin!
Great batrep with a funny win. Good onya, mate! Have to second Cav's suggestion with the scorpion reviews/batreps. A lot to be learned while painting. Cavalier is also being humble. The Splintermind podcast is just as inspirational while painting.

Nice work, so far, on the next models in line. I missed out on buying those creators. Will have to hit eBay and see what's available. Thanks for the great read, Looshkin... Be well!! 

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »
I totally understand on being maxed for time. I usually watch Scorp's bat-reps over the course of a couple days.

Oh man thats a brutal feeling on your Eldar. I know just how you feel. When 8th dropped and I wanted to run my Guardians/Avengers and I saw the state of their paint jobs.... well lets just say I had to get that brush in action and give them a little love. I'd be fascinated to see what you do with them.

If you ever do feel like painting up some more Alaitoc check out this guy on instagram: Rob on Instagram: ?The sword of Khaine, the moon of Eldanesh ... and 9 rolls of I really dig his take on the camo.

Good for you on the craters too. My brother is demanding we paint up all the craters like you did there. I've redone one of them with some browns, flock etc and it looks so much better. Really like the crater you got there. Doing that extra bit of work on them really does wonders.

Really stoked to see you pick up the Forgebane set too. I know you'll do amazing work on the little knights. Such a great kit and the unit is rocking on the tabletop. Should give your ad-mech some lightning quick assault and anti-tank that'll go a long way.

Cheers bud. Really enjoying all the updates. Keep rocking

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2018, 08:25:40 AM »
2 complete craters (sorry about the bad lighting. They're craters, I couldn't get excited about setting up better lighting.)

They might just be craters but I really like what you have done with them Looshkin. In the first picture I really like how the use of lichen/static grass (something green) has added so much definition to the crater making the whole thing a lot more interesting.

I also like the wet look you have given to the rock and the mud looks suitably mud like. Brilliant stuff and I can't wait to see how you paint the Necrons of Forgebane.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #290 on: March 24, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
They might just be craters but I really like what you have done with them Looshkin. In the first picture I really like how the use of lichen/static grass (something green) has added so much definition to the crater making the whole thing a lot more interesting.

Thanks Alien, the flock is added so that it transitions more smoothly into the surrounding terrain on my board, which is largely grass (On another note, I need to redo it so that it's mainly dirt with some grass...). I'm glad you like the craters though. The wet look was achieved by just doing a mega heavy wash of Nuln Oil (I think). I didn't do anything after that because I figure that exposed earth would be wet. So yeah, I'm glad it works for you!

Oh man thats a brutal feeling on your Eldar. I know just how you feel. When 8th dropped and I wanted to run my Guardians/Avengers and I saw the state of their paint jobs.... well lets just say I had to get that brush in action and give them a little love. I'd be fascinated to see what you do with them.

I just think less colourful will be the key. Universal blue schemes with a grey/white spot and a something else spot...probably red. Ditch the Alaitoc yellow entirely. I'm not going to lie, doing the Crimson Fist Captain a few months ago really opened my eyes to what I wanted Alaitoc to be.

If you ever do feel like painting up some more Alaitoc check out this guy on instagram: Rob on Instagram: ?The sword of Khaine, the moon of Eldanesh ... and 9 rolls of I really dig his take on the camo.

It's nice. I'm going to see how mine comes out with adjusted colours, but his is definitely a way to go if I'm not happy with what I do. Thanks for the link!

Good for you on the craters too. My brother is demanding we paint up all the craters like you did there. I've redone one of them with some browns, flock etc and it looks so much better. Really like the crater you got there. Doing that extra bit of work on them really does wonders.

Haha! Sorry to make you do work Cav!!! Your Bro is really growing on me though  ;)

G'day, Looshkin!
Great batrep with a funny win. Good onya, mate! Have to second Cav's suggestion with the scorpion reviews/batreps. A lot to be learned while painting. Cavalier is also being humble. The Splintermind podcast is just as inspirational while painting.

Trouble is, I end up not painting. I end up flicking through Codexes. Looking for old art. Old stories. Dreaming up Army lists...you know, anything and everything that is hobby but is not painting!!

Glad you like the mini update, cheers SD!

So, another mini update (Micro Mini).

I've finished painting up a few more Skitarii Rangers, finishing the first squad at 10:

Next up, I'm trying to crack on and finish the remaining Vanguard:

Another little shot of one of the craters that I finished in the last update:

Most importantly, though, this bad boy arrived today:

It comes with this pretty cool print on card:

It is properly crammed with sprues:

And this stuff in particular looks as though it'll be a hoot to work with!

So there you are, another mini update! Hopefully I'll finish the Vanguard over the next few days so that I can get on with the Armigers guilt-free!

Thanks for stopping by.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2018, 07:40:05 AM »
Nice. Good call on those Snipers, those dudes are super nasty. Love the built up cork rocks you got there for him, it really adds a lot. The paint jobs as always are excellent!

Also I love what you described for your Alaitoc, though I'd be sad to see the yellow leave if you are replacing it with white/grey it could look incredible. A really dark Kantor with greys and white would amazing.

Nice pick up on Forgebane that is really gonna add a ton to your army. That little knight can go and repay all the paint that Redemptor gave you last game lol.

Great update Loosh, so stoked to see all these great posts. Keep the coming!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2018, 03:46:54 PM »
The sniper setting up on the rocks looks awesome.

Are the stats for the mini-knights or are they just an oversized dreadnought?

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2018, 06:31:31 AM »
Your ten strong unit of Rangers looks fantastic you must be chuffed when you see these on a board.

Speaking of boards I like the tray that you display your models on. Is that just for Parade purposes or do you use it when you are gaming?

Another little shot of one of the craters that I finished in the last update:

And it looks just as good as the other craters. It is probably just the lighting playing tricks but I like the lighter tone that this crater seems to have.

Most importantly, though, this bad boy arrived today:
So there you are, another mini update! Hopefully I'll finish the Vanguard over the next few days so that I can get on with the Armigers guilt-free!

Guilt-free you say well when you are busy painting your Armigers just think of everyone that was hoping that you would paint the Necrons first.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
Nice. Good call on those Snipers, those dudes are super nasty. Love the built up cork rocks you got there for him, it really adds a lot. The paint jobs as always are excellent!

Cheers man. I like to try to make models that are the same pose appear unique in some way...and I am NOT a converter! I need to draft in Ynnead at some stage to give me something unique...although, with that said, I don't think my Ad Mech are ready for A Cthulhu Unicorn rider with pogo legs and an aversion to light (kidding, of course! I love his work!).

Also I love what you described for your Alaitoc, though I'd be sad to see the yellow leave if you are replacing it with white/grey it could look incredible. A really dark Kantor with greys and white would amazing.

I'll be sad to see it go too...but I just think that the stealthiest of all the major Craftworlds should maybe not have banana coloured helmets...

Nice pick up on Forgebane that is really gonna add a ton to your army. That little knight can go and repay all the paint that Redemptor gave you last game lol.

Great update Loosh, so stoked to see all these great posts. Keep the coming!

All I can think of id Redemptor Dread Revenge. It's going to drive me through the whole process.

Cheers for your comments Cav!

Your ten strong unit of Rangers looks fantastic you must be chuffed when you see these on a board.

Cheers dude! I'm really digging their finish too. So happy with how they came out and vindicated my decision to go for this new army. I am, however, looking forward to painting the mini knights!

Speaking of boards I like the tray that you display your models on. Is that just for Parade purposes or do you use it when you are gaming?

I may use them for gaming to assist with faster movement phases. Mainly though, they're for display purposes. I wanted to get some now and try them out, because later in the year, when Armies On Parade rolls around, I fancy entering my Ad Mech. If I do that, I need to make a display board and would love to have the models 'sunk in'. That way they look a part of the board instead of models placed on top of the board.

If you wanted to look for some, a quick google search for irregular movement trays should lead you in the right direction.

It is probably just the lighting playing tricks but I like the lighter tone that this crater seems to have.

It's one of the original 2 craters that I showed. It's just a bit better lit. Glad you like it though!

Guilt-free you say well when you are busy painting your Armigers just think of everyone that was hoping that you would paint the Necrons first.

Damn it!

Cheers man!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #295 on: March 28, 2018, 06:43:56 PM »
Hey guys, just a quick update on the progress that I've made over the last few days.

So, save for one backpack (I used one designed to go with the Arc Rifle), I managed to finish off the Skitarii Vanguard. I'm really happy with how they came out and how they will look on the battlefield. I normally struggle to paint loads of one type of model because something else looks far shinier and as such my interest falls off a cliff. This year appears to be different though and I stuck to it, even when the Armigers were looking shiny and fun. I hope you like the full squad:

When I was in the closing stages of painting those chaps, I did waver slightly and start building my first Armiger. However, I made sure I finished the squad before adding any paint. Undercoat only so far, but you get the gist:

Now, you may be thinking it looks a bit weird; well that's because I'm not a complete psycho and I like to paint these big pieces in sub-assemblies. It would be madness IMO to put it all together and go from there. As such, using my little friend Blue Tac, I should be able to work on the piece and assemble/disassemble to my heart's content in order to gauge progress and colour balance.

So just a quick one. Hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress this Easter weekend...although my wife and 2 year old may have other ideas!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2018, 11:20:22 PM »
Looking killer Loosh. Those transfers absolutely complete the squad. And as always I'm in love with your glowing effects.

Just wait until that two year old gets a little older. I've already got my five and seven year old painting my ancient pewter models that I'll just dip into green stuff again.

It'll be nice to have a painting and gaming buddy at the ready once they grow up a little. Start 'em young I say!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:35 PM »
Oh I can't wait to see it painted, for that matter, I just found out it even existed. So far outta the loop right now. Your squads look great, I'm jealous.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2018, 06:25:56 AM »
Great stuff Loosh! The Vanguard look fantastic. The glow effects and the blue splashes are just sick. The transfer work is spot on as well. I like the gold casing on the guns too!

Also hell yeah on the Armiger. Can't wait to see you get it painted up. I know you'll kill it.

Great to see you gut it out through all the Rangers and Vanguard like you were saying. Even though I am a grinder when it comes to that stuff... it is not easy. It can be damn miserable at times, but when you have all the stuff you know you need done, working on the fun stuff is all the more enjoyable.

Anyway great stuff Loosh. Now give us MOAR!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2018, 07:24:52 AM »
I can only repeat what everyone else has already said Looshkin, the transfers really add something to the look of a model and when seen together the Vanguard unit looks really striking.

Seeing as you only got the Forgebane stuff last Saturday I am impressed that you have found the time to put an Armiger together and get it primed. Will you stick with the same colours as your Rangers and Vanguard or do you have to paint it in  particular House colour?

Hopefully I'll be able to make some good progress this Easter weekend...although my wife and 2 year old may have other ideas!!!

So I guess I am not the only one that thinks you should have painted some of the Necrons first.  ;D