News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1 Vs. 1 Model Duels  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Recluse

• Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law
Re: 1 Vs. 1 Model Duels
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 06:43:10 PM »
Had a friend pull that one on me one game.  I thought there was an upgrade you could give to a weapon to make it +1 str.  I am pretty sure I have seen a weapon upgrade like that in the witchhunter codex. 

My bad, sorry I got my facts wrong.  :P
There will always be a larger fish.

Offline Dark Pariah

• I got an Awful Custom Title for Arguing with a Mod
  • For Volscan! For Blood! For Chaos!
« Reply #21 on: June 4, 2007, 03:00:09 AM »
send one of the FW greater daemons up against it, they aren't cheap to field but the Nightbringer will have a hell of a time trying to take it down, especially the Nurgle daemon! That giant bag of puss has 10, yes 10, wounds!
Need advice on a scratch build? PM me, I may be able to help.

Builder of all things chaos- Warhound Titan, Harbinger Bomber, Lord,
Stuff.

Offline Artaxerxes I

• "My best soldiers seem to be my archers"
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2007, 09:56:32 AM »
A Daemonhunter of any description should suffice, a Nemesis force weapon gives the model 6 strength and by its very definiton is a force weapon - given that the Nightbringer fails to score any wounds!
"They will seek to harvest us at first, for they will be hungry after their long sleep. Then they will turn their efforts to enslaving the survivors. The galaxy will bleed the stench of death into the void, and it will attract the others of their kind"

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #23 on: June 4, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
A Daemonhunter of any description should suffice, a Nemesis force weapon gives the model 6 strength and by its very definiton is a force weapon - given that the Nightbringer fails to score any wounds!

Not necessarily - only the Grand Master's Nemesis Force Weapon is actualy a force weapon in the sense of being able to fry stuff outright with it.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #24 on: June 4, 2007, 06:06:21 PM »
Even then, you are wounding on 6's   :(
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #25 on: June 4, 2007, 07:08:26 PM »
Had a friend pull that one on me one game.  I thought there was an upgrade you could give to a weapon to make it +1 str.  I am pretty sure I have seen a weapon upgrade like that in the witchhunter codex.
If there were, it couldn't apply to an allied unit anyways.

Even then, you are wounding on 6's
And dealing with the 4++.  Even with Master Crafting and 5 attacks on the charge, odds are slim.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Recluse

• Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law
« Reply #26 on: June 6, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
The upgrade he had was Furious charge.  Gave +1 str which allowed him to wound.  Got the mastercrafted weapon and blessed weapon from witchhunters confused.  :P 
There will always be a larger fish.

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #27 on: June 7, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »
Are tanks, or dreads excluded ?  How about a prism. If you want a unit, I would go with wraithguard. They at least have a chance to kill it as well. Granted not good, since they really need to be able to fire before the NB charges them. I know he also gets his little save if in hth, and can't be insta killed by their gun, still they could kill him. However yeah its still gonna take some luck, still they can auto wound him, and even in hth, they can wound him.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2007, 10:43:02 PM by Redlion »

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #28 on: June 9, 2007, 01:29:17 AM »
Well we are doing 1 on 1.

So, 1 wraithguard versus nightbringer

the WG gun has only 1 shot at 12".  Sooooooo, you have one shot, you need that 6 on the to wound roll and you need NB to fail the 4++.

If not, nightbringer could very well kill your WG with his range gun.

As for dreads... NB will eat that dread before it knows it's dead.  If you can get a charge off, you still won't kill NB in one round of combat... then it's 5 str 10 MC attacks at a vehicle, if it's a range vehicle, it needs a ranged gun greater than 36", as NB has his 24" lascannon.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #29 on: June 9, 2007, 07:27:09 AM »
Well we are doing 1 on 1.

So, 1 wraithguard versus nightbringer

the WG gun has only 1 shot at 12".  Sooooooo, you have one shot, you need that 6 on the to wound roll and you need NB to fail the 4++.

If not, nightbringer could very well kill your WG with his range gun.

Wraithguard can't instant kill ol' nighty ;)

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #30 on: June 9, 2007, 10:57:24 AM »
Necron FAQ says NB is not immune to wraithcannon, so on a roll of 6 to wound on the wraithcannon = instant death, regardless of toughness of NB.

Offline regf

« Reply #31 on: June 9, 2007, 11:38:28 AM »
Himmm.. My NB just got killed to death by an Eldar Wraithlod, Avatar & Earch. Th eexarch kept mindwaring him 7 took heaps of wounds  So i can say he is defeatable, unless I was robbed :'(
Dr Octopus & the Scions of Mars
Peri Nunc!
Roga Me Quomodo!

( That's "Die Now! - Ask me How" for the non latin speakers)

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #32 on: June 9, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »
Necron FAQ says NB is not immune to wraithcannon, so on a roll of 6 to wound on the wraithcannon = instant death, regardless of toughness of NB.

Actually the FAQ does not mention wraithcannon. You are thinking of gift of chaos. The nightbringer uses his normal rules for dealing with wraithcannons, making him effectively immune to one wraithguard. (Although I'd love to see a doomed nightbringer against eight or ten wraithguard :D)
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #33 on: June 9, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
Yea, sorry, for the gift of chaos thingy.

I'm looking at the C'tan rules, so... NB isn't insta-killed but just loses a wound on a roll of 6 to wound on the wraithcannon, "without the benefit of its invulnerable saving throw."

So yea, one wraithguard is not so good...
A group of wraithguard is good, but then they will quickly increase in price, soon you will equal and/or surpass nightbringer..

But it's no longer a 1 vs 1.

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 05:14:10 AM »
Oh I was talking equal points worth, not just one, 1 wraithguard, could do it with almost impossible luck. I didn't mean one though, so never mind.

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 07:10:19 AM »
Bloodthirster and others of chaos exspecially the forge world one

the Emperor doesnt have rules though
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline joetruck

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »
y not get ur own nightbringer... ;)

that would be a laugh :D

joetruck

Offline Sanctjud

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »
Equal points, just 2 Hammerheads or 2 FirePrisms and just shoot at NB at max range.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 10:48:07 AM »
I think the jetbike farseer was the best idea so far and shows where the discussion should head.  You need something that can deal with it at range because in cc, the nightbringer is better than any other model.

One interesting option would be a carnifex with two venom cannons, regenerate, +1T, +1W, +1BS.  Have him stay away as long as possible and he should be able to put through about one wound per round of shooting.  By the time the Nightbringer gets close enough, the carni should be able to finish him in cc.  If you want to have an even better chance give the carni some cc upgrades as well.

A hive tyrant with venom cannons and all the stuff needed to shoot better would do well also, but without the regeneration, will be more susceptible to the nightbringer's return fire.  On the other hand, its wings would allow it to stay play keep away really well.  The fex should be able to put through a little more than 1 wound a turn, and could stay out of range for a couple rounds of shooting at least.  The 6+ invulnerable save would help a bit against the return shooting as well.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 05:47:28 PM »
The +1 Toughness would do nothing for the carnifex, since every single attack the nightbringer would be using is S9 or greater. And regenerate would do very little, considering that all wounds caused by the nightbringer in CC cannot be regenerated.

I do think that the twin-linked venom cannon (you can't have two) would probably be pretty effective against the NB though. And with the slow speed of both and the nightbringer's shorter range you can basically keep backing away and shooting until you're backed into a corner of the board. IMO that's probably one of the most effective competitors listed so far.
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.