News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Cobra or the Scorpion Which to Choose?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Alexxk

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
The Cobra or the Scorpion Which to Choose?
« on: February 25, 2018, 12:29:19 PM »
Hi guys!
So I am thinking of adding another super heavy to my collection. What would you guys recommend, the cobra or the scorpion? The only problem I see with the cobra is that it has a very big variance on the shots, if you roll for 1 for D6, its not gonna do much. Since it will be mainly for Apocylypse games, I guess the scorpion is a better choice because it seems to do a lot more damage with 4d6 shots, even considering that it wounds on 3s most superheavies and tanks.

What are you opinnions?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: The Cobra or the Scorpion Which to Choose?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
Depends on what you are expecting to shoot at with them and the rest of the army layout and points.

The cobra's damage output per shot is technically higher than two shots from scorpions on average. Additionally the Cobra is more likely to cause a wound on S8 targets.

At the end of the day it is really going to come down to what else you are running with it, if the cobra or scorpion is the only high level threat, then its going to get nailed. Personally I would go for the cobra as at that point cost, I would be tempted to run two assuming I won lotto lol.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:58 PM »
Between the 2 it is really dependant on how big the game is, since I use either one or the other.

I use the Cobra v vehicle and titan heavy armies, while the Scorpion can handle vehicles it is even better v infantry type of all sorts, not titans in my opinion. Either 1 isn't great v flyers. It's just the scorpion comes ahead since it has more shots.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline bca11

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:25:52 PM »
Either 1 isn't great v flyers. It's just the scorpion comes ahead since it has more shots.

I can't say I've experienced that. Even with a -1 to hit, the BS of either tank is sufficient to hit consistently, and a typical volley will kill an average flyer with wounds to spare.

As far as the original question goes, after the chapter approved price increase, I think the cobra is a better buy. It's worked out well for me. Make sure to cloudstrike it so that you can get at least one good turn of fire on your enemy's super heavies, and save your shooting phase command re-roll for determining how many shots you fire.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
As bca11 has mentioned the Chapter approved price changes have made a pretty big difference in this case.
For me really it depends on the size of the game, if you are talking Apoc games then I'd probably lean towards the Cobra as it's better against larger targets, against Titans and other superheavies it can be pretty great. Just make sure you keep a command point handy for it....
If it's anything 2500pts or smaller I'd actually go for the Scorpion as in my opinion it is more versatile. It can deal with most smaller vehicles without much issue but is also really good against Elite infantry.
But at the end of the day both models are incredibly beautiful and they do actually work kinda well as a pair......  ;D
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Alexxk

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 02:17:44 AM »
Thank you for your inputs so far!
So I made the following calculations:
Since both hit on 2+ or 3+ respectifly after cloudstriking (good input), I will just think about the first round (hit on 3+) but both tanks behave the same so it doesnt really matter fpr wounds inflicted per point. The Cobra will average 4,5 shots with a reroll the scorpion 14 without reroll.
Cobra will wound on 2s, while the scorpion will wound on 3s mostly. So on average the cobra does 17,5 damage and 1 mortal wound. When taking into acount that the target has a 4+ invul it averages to 19,5 wounds before invuls. The scorpion does 23,33 when taking the 6 dmg on wound rolls of 6+ into acount.

This goes for 0,033 wounds inflected per point for the scorpion (0,73/PL), the cobra achieves 0,035 (0,70/PL). So quite similar.

SO it is basically the same and I will go with the one that I like more cosmetically, I will need to think about this for some time because its quite a big investment.

Just for interest: I also did the calculation for the revenant titan, just the pulsars do about 34 wounds efore invuls. So nowhere near the pair of scorpion + cobra would do (on power level gaming he is the same as both of them, on point game chapter aproved really stomped him into ground). Also he starts to degrade after 5 wounds taken...and the tanks could use Iyanden while the revenant can't due to <conclave> instead of <craftworld>.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 04:22:02 PM »
If both perform equally against a tank, and both cost the same, and you don't intend to fight Titanic vehicles, then the Scorpion is a better choice because it is stronger against squads (more shots). Also good against things like squads of Kastelan Robots, Wraithguard, Black Knights, etc. Also, it has a great model.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
Its not just about the damage output, the cobra is medium range, so it is going to be moving to do its thing, so it will get an invul just for doing what it does. The scorpions range means it doesn't need to move that much, so you'll be moving to get the invul, its kind of a forced move.

The cobra being cheaper can fit into sub-apoc battles, if your friends/LGS allow forgeworld in those battles, so it could see more table time :)

Keep in mind the explode rules, the cobra is going to be near the enemy when it pops, scorpions might still be near your own units.

Basically the two are so close, I would just be building some list based on your own collection and see what your more excited to play :)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
Its not just about the damage output, the cobra is medium range, so it is going to be moving to do its thing, so it will get an invul just for doing what it does. The scorpions range means it doesn't need to move that much, so you'll be moving to get the invul, its kind of a forced move.

The cobra being cheaper can fit into sub-apoc battles, if your friends/LGS allow forgeworld in those battles, so it could see more table time :)

Keep in mind the explode rules, the cobra is going to be near the enemy when it pops, scorpions might still be near your own units.

Basically the two are so close, I would just be building some list based on your own collection and see what your more excited to play :)

The Cobra being forced to move isn't an advantage; you could just do the same thing with a Scorpion if you chose to do so.

Being cheaper, however, is quite an advantage.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.