News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "Multi-tracker" OR "Blacksun filter"????  (Read 3210 times)

Offline WilliamT

• "It's only a game"
"Multi-tracker" OR "Blacksun filter"????
« on: July 1, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
In 6th edition, Tau players will have to re-think crisis suit weapon/support systems configuration.

This game is about keeping your eye on the mission, which will all have a 4+ chance of Night Fighting.  I think it is important for us Tau to shoot every single turn because well, we need it!  If our crisis suits are unable to shoot due to Night Fighting, then this is not good for the Greater Good!

But if we take Blacksun filter, we will have to drop multi-tracker (target lock has been deleted). This is because normal non-squad leader crisis suits may take 3 weapons/support systems.   (Of course one may take only one single weapon, blacksun filter and targeting array??) Do you think this is a good trade-off?

Do you think twin linked missile pods with black sun filters is a good compromise??  This may replace the plasma/missile pod/multitracker configuration.

thanks!

Offline Ghostofman

Re: "Multi-tracker" OR "Blacksun filter"????
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »
I'm not ditching the fire knife config yet. Yeah under night fighting it might not be as effective as we're used to in some situations, but when the lights come on I want to dump as much fire out as possible.

Additionally remember the with the nerfing of power weapons we can expect to see more meganobs and terminators in the future (even more so if the dark angels get an update that allows deathwing). So we are going to need the high S multishot low AP shot combo of this tow weapons to cut through armor and lay on the wounds to increase the odds of a failed save.

Next as you say because they killed the battle suit and infantry target lock we can't have our broadsides split fire to contribute an occasional kill or two to those teminator squads.

Now are we going to want to think about Losing the aux flamer on our double missile suits and taking a night vision package instead? Maybe so.

Offline Firecat

« Reply #2 on: July 1, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
Check the rules for Night Vision on page 40. I suspect we'll see more team leaders with hardwired blacksun filters, rather than dropping any hardpoints from the standard Fireknife.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: July 3, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
seeing as night fight only really affects long ranged shooting I think that there are some builds which might benefit from BSF more than others.

A fusion/plasma suit will want the multi-tracker, because they will be working in close and be looking at needing to get as much in the way of low Ap shots... i think that, although teh firknife can be effective at range - they will normally want to be working at around 24"... and at that distance the multi-tracker is still most effective imo.

I think it is when it comes down to twin missile pod suits that you'll see a wider range of choice - because you can either go with BSFs and use them to try and get early turn glance results on enemy transports (potentially stacking to kill them) OR maybe even something like mass flamers in order to provide a deterrent to enemy assaulters (assuming I am correct in thinking that flamers can shoot when enemies charge... still learning!) I think target arrays are still an option here too... BUT, it is not worth taking TA if the suits will also be your main deterrent to flyers... as it is too much investment.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2012, 04:09:50 PM »
OR maybe even something like mass flamers in order to provide a deterrent to enemy assaulters (assuming I am correct in thinking that flamers can shoot when enemies charge... still learning!)
See the "Wall of Death" entry on p52 - should act as a slight deterrent, at least.

A fusion/plasma suit will want the multi-tracker, because they will be working in close and be looking at needing to get as much in the way of low Ap shots... i think that, although teh firknife can be effective at range - they will normally want to be working at around 24"... and at that distance the multi-tracker is still most effective imo.
I'm with Oink on this.  Out to 24", Night Fighting (p124) doesn't have a massive effect imo. Give me more shots any day!
BSF on Broadsides may be another matter though.  Particularly if you roll a Hammer and Anvil deployment, it will be well worth guaranteeing you can fire your Rail Guns all the way down the table on Turn 1.

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #5 on: July 3, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
If you're lucky, and take the stratigic trait for your warlord, the whole game might be under night fight. (it doesn't lift after a turn anymore, one of the traits starts the game at night)

Tau can dominate a table under night fighting if they bring BSFs, and I thought there was a second option that does the same thing for you.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #6 on: July 3, 2012, 10:23:46 PM »
If you're lucky, and take the stratigic trait for your warlord, the whole game might be under night fight. (it doesn't lift after a turn anymore, one of the traits starts the game at night)

Tau can dominate a table under night fighting if they bring BSFs, and I thought there was a second option that does the same thing for you.

Where does it say this??

I understood Night fighting (pg 124 BRB) on a certain dice roll it is night fighting during game turn 1, if it isn't then roll on turn 5 to see if night fighting is used for the last few turns.
Nowhere can I see it saying that it lasts for the whole game.

Also in relation to the Warlord trait, Night Attacker (pg 111 BRB), "... it is Night for the first turn."

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)