News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Poll

Do you think it's stupid that Tau are BS 3?

YES!
7 (23.3%)
No
23 (76.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: !!!>>>TAU PLAYERS<<<!!!  (Read 3238 times)

Offline emperorschamp

• Suffer not the Unclean to Live!!!
!!!>>>TAU PLAYERS<<<!!!
« on: September 6, 2002, 02:49:46 AM »
Do you think it's stupid that Tau, the army completely reliant on shooting, has an average Ballistic Skill of 3? Surely GW has made a mistake...
 :P :P :P
(I am not whining, i am merely wanting to know what people think! Besides, i collect Tau but mainly Black Templars)
"While vile mutants still draw breath, there can be no peace.

While obscene heretics' hearts still beat, there can be no respite.

While faithless traitors still live, there can be no forgiveness."

-={DEATH TO THE FOES OF THE EMPEROR!!!}=-

Offline Vampyr

• Tournament Farseer Aethis
Re:!!!>>>TAU PLAYERS<<<!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2002, 09:48:47 AM »
No. I don't.

Fluff:

BS 4 is supposed to be the province of extremely talented highly engineered troops, far above the norm for most conventional races. Even the Eldar, for the most part, are BS 3.

Game

Tau, like IG, have far more firepower than most any other race can manage to put together. If you gave the Tau a BS 4, they would sweep the board of any opposition almost every time. This is a GAME. It has to be fun for BOTH players.  ;)

-V
---
Best Last Tournament
RT 8.17.02
Quote:

"Ok, he hits 4 times, sustained assaut, hits 4 times, hits 3 times, hits 3 times hits twice, hits twice, hits twice, hits once, Done. 19 hits with a power weapon..."

Offline SeerBrun

• Illustrator
    • Immortal Enemies
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2002, 11:29:33 AM »
Four, as a stat, is hero or superhuman. Tau are neither heros nor superhumans. They may be reliant upon shooting, but they are less so than Imperial Guard (who do not even have a subserviant race to do their hand to hand fighting for them).

Ballistic Skill three is for trained troops. Tau are (arguably) a professional army. I would not characterize them as a militia/cult/civilian unit, so they should have BS2.

Offline Vhailior

• Veneratio
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2002, 01:42:09 PM »
same reason as V, maybe its BECAUSE they are so reliant on shooting and that they have such powerful guns that to balance it they need a 3 for bs

Farseer Vhailior of Craftworld Ulthwé

Offline xv15.

« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2002, 03:16:54 PM »
this was brought up a LONG time ago, when the GW boards weren't compariable to the eye of terror (LONG time ago, huh?) and simply because bs 4 is incredible, and bs 3 is very highly trained, like  the guard (bah) and the tau. and 2 is average, like the orks, who receive no training, they just have a natural skill for close combat.

BS3 confines the tau to not being DOMINANT, already lots of players complain becuase of the taus firepower, it doesn't need to be more powerful.
The man who makes a beast of himself,
rids himself of the pain of being a man.

Offline Wandering Spirit

• I Can't Believe I ate the Whole Thing!
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2002, 03:21:14 PM »
bs3 is fine. if you give any large swarm type army bs4 they become way too good. imagine orks with bs4! or eldar guardians!
Never apologise for asking questions young seers, through asking questions we find answers, through those answers we gain greater knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us.

Our people stopped asking questions once before and our complacency all but destroyed us.

That must never happen again.

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2002, 03:58:05 PM »
Also, besides the balance between the races, there's the balance within the races, namely, the markerlights. They give the 2+ to hit with any weapon, so if everyone already had BS4 it'd only be a +1 bonus...not much of an incentive for buying a laser pointer equal to the price of a fire warrior :P

Offline ShadowX

• Life is a privilege. Death is your right.
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2002, 04:00:28 PM »
But.. then a Fire Prism would have a use...

Xhadow
Aegis insubstantial; before the deluge.

We are already Dead.

Only the Insane have the strength to prosper.  Only those who prosper truly judge what is sane.

I shall become a Blight upon the land.  And everything I touch shall wither and die.

Offline Adamus

« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2002, 12:14:33 AM »
Dont u think thats kind of silly? i mean Well trained warrior that only hit half the time??? i mean give a 4 year old pop gun and hes got a bs of 3

Offline Farseer_Sting

• Play Guard, Never be out gunned
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2002, 12:21:35 AM »
no no no any no again, as said before BS 4 is revered its like Delta Force/Green Berets/ Navy Seals/ Ranger/ that one British Special Forces unit. BS 3 is like a trained but not extremely trained unit such as perhaps the standard troop in the US Army or any countries standard troop. So the tau are trained but not relentlessly trained. Plus you guys have markerlights for a reason. and improved sensors on your tanks, battle suits can twin link stuff so i do not think in any way what so ever, the Tau should get BS 4, it would totally unbalance them. Sorry if i ranted its late and im coming off a mountain dew caffine buzz ;D

Instant IQ test click here

Warp Riders Expeditionary Force
Win=15
Loose=2
Tie=0

Offline Triple X

• Starcannons....... There is no substitute!!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2002, 01:13:19 AM »
For the purpose of game balance thier BS is a justifiable 3.  If they BS was any higher they would be too d**n good!  Yeah it does seem stupid that a race that places such a high value on ranged attacks doesn't have a better BS, but think of it this way.....
The Tau are a very young race.  Even though they are technologically advanced they are not fighters.  Thats why they have the kroot and thier battle suites.  Also.... they are just big smurfs and are basically cowards ( LD 7 ).  Remember how the would run when Gargamel would come?  hahahahha

Offline FrOzEn jAcKaL

• Getting Owned So You Don't Have To.
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2002, 01:49:41 AM »
I would have to agree... The Tau (I play em, so I have the right to say the following):

Their BS is reasonable... because they are mere TAU, not like the highly trained Aspect Warriors and Commanders!

The fact that their Battlesuits can mount twin-linked anything is not the point, The point is that the normal Fire Warriors has a longer ranged weapon, and hits only half the time... seems reasonable to me!

They are only wusses, when the Ethereal isn't there! They can re-roll when an Ethereal is present, and although no save, it is pretty good at HtH...

The Broadsides are meant to be Heavy-weapons platforms, with a better range of motion and versatility. That's why they have twin railguns and a smart-missile system! Give em a Target Lock and each one could take out a separate tank each turn! Eat that, IG!!!

Ethereals suck, they are soooo important and wussy! I use none of e, because I never have to worry about running! I take out all the long-range artillery first thing with the Broadsides and the Hammerheads... I deep strike my Stealth suits and point my little red light at an enemy and... ker-BOOM!!! LOL  :o !

Whats so wrong about a BS 4 Railgun? Nothing... Whats wrong with BS 4 Pathfinders? Holds down the enemy too long... I want them to move into range of my guns!

LOL ;D
There are few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives.

I think the lack of an avatar picture in my profile has intimidated other forum members to refuse a response to my questions. I will thus be searching for a suitable graphic that will lure said members into replying to said forum posts.

. . .   (\/)     Bunny said I had an anger problem,
(><) (x.x)     I ripped Bunny's head off.

Offline Aerundel

• My name is Oobedoob Benubi.
    • My BatRep
« Reply #12 on: September 7, 2002, 02:47:41 AM »
Ethereals are wussy, eh? Maybe you should tell Aun'shi that after he sticks his honor blade where the sun don't shine  :o Also, it takes someone very confident and brave to get troops to stay in combat if they're feeling scared. If the ethereal caste was a bunch of wusses, wouldn't they put some armor on and use a gun?

Btw, Tau have a Ld of 8 in the majority of cases. Only the Shas'la have a 7, and that's the lowest ranking member of the Fire Caste. Shas'ui squad leaders and up have Ld 8, with the HQs having 9+. Even Kroot have Ld 8 with a Shaper's armor save upgrade, and they usually either demolish or are demolishED before any tests are made  ;)

Offline FrOzEn jAcKaL

• Getting Owned So You Don't Have To.
« Reply #13 on: September 7, 2002, 06:54:20 PM »
Aun'Shi is meant to be almighty and powerful... othwise most of the REGULAR Ethereals are complete waste of points... Why? Because they die and EVERY FRIENDLY Tau unit has to take the freakin' moral test EVERY SINGLE Turn!  That sucks major beans! Aun'Shi would be the only Ethereal to be used, although it probably wouldn't occur as my Sept is too independent to have him fly out for a battle... After all, I can always pay 60 and get the same thing, just without a save!!! That's what I hate... Regular Ethereals cannot have saves!!! That's what sucks!
There are few personal problems that cannot be solved with a proper application of high explosives.

I think the lack of an avatar picture in my profile has intimidated other forum members to refuse a response to my questions. I will thus be searching for a suitable graphic that will lure said members into replying to said forum posts.

. . .   (\/)     Bunny said I had an anger problem,
(><) (x.x)     I ripped Bunny's head off.

Offline Ulisys

• Farseer of an Undecided Craftworld
« Reply #14 on: September 7, 2002, 07:07:52 PM »
I say no cause they spend to much time developing their weaponry and not their aim :).
Eldar are such a generous people.
Always Giving out as much fire as possible and never asking for any in return.

Offline NapalmXZero

• Here they come....
« Reply #15 on: September 7, 2002, 07:25:00 PM »
The only part I find sad is that an elite warrior of an all shooting army has the BS of that of a Tyranid Gaunt.
The history of Evolution is that Life escapes all Barriers. Life breaks free. Life expands to new Territories. Painfully, perhaps even Dangerously. But life finds a way.
-Ian Malcom -Jurassic Park

Offline xv15.

« Reply #16 on: September 7, 2002, 08:58:10 PM »
Aun'Shi is meant to be almighty and powerful... othwise most of the REGULAR Ethereals are complete waste of points... Why? Because they die and EVERY FRIENDLY Tau unit has to take the freakin' moral test EVERY SINGLE Turn!  That sucks major beans! Aun'Shi would be the only Ethereal to be used, although it probably wouldn't occur as my Sept is too independent to have him fly out for a battle... After all, I can always pay 60 and get the same thing, just without a save!!! That's what I hate... Regular Ethereals cannot have saves!!! That's what sucks!

'fraid you've been gettin' screwed my friend. You don't take a check every turn, its just at the start of the next turn, and only that turn.
The man who makes a beast of himself,
rids himself of the pain of being a man.

Offline Andie

• Two, one, one, two.
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2002, 10:04:05 PM »
Hey are the tau some expert marksmen like the eldar? no i think not. so everyone be quiet.