News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Want to try 40K based RP  (Read 7417 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Want to try 40K based RP
« on: May 30, 2015, 08:10:17 AM »
Hi all,

I've never tried roleplaying before and thought doing it online would allow me to spend time thinking about how to do it better. Is anyone thinking of running a game soon? Ideally 40K based since I'm more familiar with that universe. I'd be interesting in taking part.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: Want to try 40K based RP
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »
I never did it either but would gladly be joining in if there is people whilling to teach, do you mind me tagging along ?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2015, 04:19:53 AM »
Grizzlykin no of course not, that is fine :) if we can find other RP-noobs maybe we can persuade someone to run a game for us...
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2015, 05:21:39 AM »
Yeah true ^^

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2015, 04:05:25 PM »
I've played a few that were really well done. Haven't seen anyone running one on quite a while.

I may run one if I find the time. Last time I ran one in person, it lasted 2 months and for every hr played was about 3-4 hrs of prep time for me
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »
If we can help woth the prep or anything tell i will try to give you hand. End of next week i will have finish my exam.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2015, 03:13:23 AM »
Likewise, if we can be of assistance then let us know.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2015, 01:41:37 PM »
There’s (or was) a few good GMs on these boards that covered quite a wide range of gaming styles from very dicey to purely narrative in nature.
The tricky part can often be matching the right players to the right GM, I’ve played in online games where I’ve had a great time and all the parties involved have meshed fantastically, I’ve also played in some horrid games (To me) that have still been enjoyed by others.

This does make it tricky for a first time RPer as you need to find a game that suits you but probably don’t have much idea what it is that does suit you, if you’re just after a run’n’gun monster mash then finding yourself in the middle of a game where every little details could be important to a much bigger plot and you’re never quite sure which side you should be/are on isn’t going to be much fun. Same goes if you have some deep character ideas and all the GM is interested in is what guns you want.
So if you’ve got any ideas of what you’re looking for in a game it may be worth throwing those ideas out and seeing if any potential GMs are inspired…

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »
Fair points, I hadn't considered that. I'm more interested in detail and character, although of course the action side of things is fun  :)

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
I think i'm more aboyt background and story telling but it's hard to say without having experienced it first hand

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »
The other issue is the rules

Either the gm must create their own, or you use an established set. I know deathwatch has some good rpg rules etc, but that would require you to have access to them as well, or for the gm to lay out all the options for you.

Which is why I like pathfinder for online rpg since all the rules can be found online.
Pathfinder_OGC

Even then, the rules are so complex it takes a lot of work on everyone's end to make it work.

So most gms here keep things pretty simple and make up a few of their own rules and use their judgement to try and make things work. I tend to find that a bit frustrating when I die or don't do something right because the gm knew of options and mechanics in the game that were not explicitly stated, and expects me to guess them.

In all honesty, I haven't searched to see if there is a fan made 40k rpg rule set that would be useable. So perhaps I will go do so now

I found one fan based one, but the rules are very complex. If you scroll to the bottom of this site, and open the zip file, you can find it. Take a look and let me know your thoughts.
Planet Goblinstein: The WH40K RPG
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:57:20 AM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 03:03:38 AM »
If it's a case of getting hold of a rulebook (eg Deathwatch) I'm happy to do that.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I also happy to acquire a rule book, if we are actually going to play. I'm up for any of the three 40k based games.

Looks like the options are:

Dark Heresy
Only War
Rouge Trader
Black Crusade
Death Watch

Of those I've only played death watch in college. It was pretty fun, and rather easy to get into. The diffrences in the games, as I understand it, is in power level. So take a look and see what appeals
Flawless logic.