News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 750pts doubles  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
750pts doubles
« on: August 2, 2015, 10:14:03 PM »
Hey all o/ I have a tourney coming up and I have to come up with 750 points of Eldar for my team. I have been thinking about this alot and was thinking about taking a spam list. I can take
1 HQ
2 Troops
1 elite
1 hs

My plan was this:

Farseer Skyrunner + Shard
Windriders x9 + warlock
Windriders x9 + warlock(ss)

So the gamble basically is:

Hope they don't have A13 or higher.

Now i know that this is not a diverse list by any means.. But in a single turn of shooting it can stick out 72 str 6 shots for a 750 pnt list.

With 5 psychic dice+d6. Was thinking about a cheeky roll in telepathy and pray for invis.. Or i go guide, prescience and shriek.

What you guys think? Obviously this list is crazy mobile. Moving 48" if need be. Can also with conceal get a TEQ cover save with MEQ armour.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 750pts doubles
« Reply #1 on: August 2, 2015, 11:06:02 PM »
Pull back on the Scatter Bikes a bit, and take a unit of FD / WG in a Serpent. Then you have no worries about... anything... really.

What's your partner running?

You could potentially face a pair of Imperial Knights, but that's the only thing I can think of that might cause you much trouble.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 2, 2015, 11:34:37 PM »
There are no lords of war allowed. And it will be random in my team who im with. Tbh the chance they have an a14 tank is very low co considering the points. For just under 600 points, the 2 units of jetbikes, with a guide, should be able to massacre what i think i will be facing... Alot of msu trying to fill the slots

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2015, 05:43:46 AM »
you could pull back on the scatter bike a bit and take some brightlance war walker, i think it would work well  with the rest of the list and would give that anti av14, this won't do much but it can help a little. 3 or 4 bikes less allow you to get one so that's something to concider i think.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
My response really has to be: what do you expect out of the list and what is important to you. Do you want a list that wins on its own? A list that's fun to play, fun to partner with, or fun to play against?

It may be a very competitive list, but by taking a spam list one of two things are going to happen. Your opponents will ignore you and focus on your partner, which sucks for your partner, or focus solely on you first, which sucks for you. Taking a more balanced list helps you work together with your partner as a team to beat an opponent. If I have a more difficult time choosing where to concentrate my forces, I can't divide and conquer easily. When my opponent takes a spam list, especially in a doubles tournament, it makes my job very easy. Can I ignore him for a few turns and wipe out his partner or if not, my partner and I will wipe him out first. Again, for the points it's a solid, tough to beat army on its own, but it may be your 750 against my combined 1500 in the first or last half of the battle.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
The thing about spam lists is that they tend to be one-trick ponies.
The thing about spamming scatter laser windriders, is that they are absurdly good at most battlefield roles, and hence supremely flexible.
Very easy to play, very easy to adapt to your game to suit your random partner’s list, very hard to counter
The list is not one I personally would find particularly fun to play with or against, but if you’re looking for a competitive list to take to a doubles tourney, this is it.
Definitely take guide & prescience over trying for invisibility. Make the most of those 72 shots per turn.

There are counters to any list of course, but be very wary of dark reapers…

The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2015, 11:35:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I want to take a competitive list. I need something that can reliably take down transports, aircraft and troops. And i feel the scatbikes can do that. Its not a fun list ill admit but its handy enough at supporting fire.

what do u think about taking the shard on my seer?

cheers!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2015, 02:53:29 PM »
You won't be facing many flyers with no fast attack options in the tournament rules. Most likely done to prevent flyer spam. Drop the shard, if one of your units get into close combat its game over for them.

The reason I feel that the list is inflexible is you are giving me only two choices to target. Conversely, you only have two units and can target only two of mine a turn. You're also giving me a free pass on the assault phase. 36 shots into a unit of grots would be a huge waste of shots don't you think. It would be overkill for many units at that point level in my opinion.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
Yeah that's something i was thinking as well, i think you should be carefull with spamming bike if you have no other threat for you enemey to shoot at, i mean with this you have 20 model on the table all with one wound and one with 3 but even, you barely t4, I think it's still pretty dangerous to play things like this. The more i think about it the more i think you should take out some bikes for something else you have access to elite and heavy support i think you could find unit that could distract your opponent a bit from your bike or the opposite can still do something even with the bike taken out.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2015, 04:27:47 PM »
I hear you man really. I don't like taking warlocks in small sized squads.. And i think reducing the size makes them bt so great. Remember only stuff with 36" range can shoot me. I can also turbo boost if things are getting to hot.

what do you think about the shard though? Its quite expensive but i figure if anything managed to get into combat, having instant death and a few more str stats would be good

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
The vauls work bonus only works in a challenge unfortunately. I'd use your points elsewhere.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: August 3, 2015, 08:48:34 PM »
I could always drop 2 bikes from each and stick in a squad of scorpions or something. The issue i have is that i want to be mobile, but bot pay for waveserpents all the time. Maybe its best if i write up a few lists and play test them with my local gaming groups. I do still feel that having the ability to kite and evade damage is really nice though. And to your point about overkill, if i shoot 1 unit each turn with both bikes, that's 5+ dead units. And i might not even need to focus fire on some units. In such a small points game, I cant see many units having hood range... I plan to start my bikes in the table corner xD

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #12 on: August 4, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »
I'm not as concerned as the others about having only 2 units for the enemy to shoot at.
This isn't a 750pt list after all, it's half of a 1,500pt list. And scatter bikes have the range, speed, and assault move to control which units are allowed to shoot at them moreso than I think any other unit in the game.

But if you want a 3rd unit: the shard, a warlock and I think 2 bikes should get you a fire prism or a couple of BL walkers.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2015, 08:38:35 AM »
My biggest worry would be the severe restrictions on the FOC and the types and numbers of units this tournament is restricting too.

My experience would see your biggest and badest units out there.

Marines/Chaos expect to see terminators in a land raider.

Orks would have 3 battlewagons.

Eldar I would expect to see lots of wraiths.

As your partner pairing is random, just hope he has stuff to deal with av14.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
I decided to drop the shard and ss from my warlock. Inplace i took spirit stones for warp charge one prescience. Added a phoenix gem as a dodgey insurance policy for slay the warlord. And gave the far seer a singing spear. Its tough because i don't have the models for units of 10 jetbikes so ny farseer is gonna cost 160 points. Seems alot but it will give him some utility in a pretty simple list.

Offline Lyonic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
Just a little update for you guys. I play tested my army against a guard 750. He had 2 lemen rus and 3 wyrms, a few troops too. Needless to say he really owned me hard.

i checked the rules again and it seems that i got it wrong its:

1 HQ
2 Troops

optional:
2 troops
1 fast attack
1 heavy support
1 elite

so i had a few games against a jetbikey 750... I took things like d-cannons some avengers and stuff. I had 2 lists, 1 with maugun ra and one with eldrad. It was the first time I used maugun ra and he is really gonna be considered in my friendly 1850s as hes so much fun! I got beaten soundly both games and have came up with a new list...

Farseer Skyrunner
5 Scatbikes
5 Scatbikes
5 Scatbikes
5 Scatbikes
5 Warpspiders

comes in at 750, would have loved an exarch with the spiders but.. Owel.

let me.knw what u think