News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Elf color scheme thoughts  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Squirrelloid

• Honor Guard
  • Only in darkness, light
Dark Elf color scheme thoughts
« on: May 8, 2008, 01:53:44 AM »
So, I was thinking of doing my Dark Elf army (at least the normal troops) in white with blue trim and blued armor (metallic with blue wash over it).  Does this sound like a horrible idea to anyone, or do people think it would actually be cool.

Of course, this might be a bad idea if i want to do snow-covered bases...  Sigh, camoflauged color schemes just don't work, do they?  I suppose I could do dark rock patches where the models are standing...

(I've also considered purple with a red wash over metallic armor, but that feels far too stereotypical...).
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels - Chip 4:2

Unusual SM armies

Angband Code:
S WI(x) !Xok ht->ho !C P88 DL:5000' A++ R+++ Sp+ w: mjolnir or wrestling
S(ToME) W H- D+ !c f- PV+ !s d !P M+
C-- S+ I- So- B- ac !GHB SQ RQ++ V- F: multipage inventory

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Dark Elf color scheme thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 8, 2008, 01:57:23 AM »
I imagine it could look quite nice.

It would be a change to see an 'evil' army painting in colours normally associated with the good guys. I'd suggest knocking up a test model and seeing for yourself.

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:13:23 PM »
For Dark Eldar... they don't seem that dark.  I'd do an off white, though, to go along w/the blue.  Maybe a 5/1 mix of white/blue just to slightly tint the white more toward the blue spectrum, or use Bleached bone for a cream/off-white.  Instead of a blue wash... I found a trick that works well [if you want a picture, ask] mix Necron Abyss w/just enough Mithril to get that Metallic look.

"Their song shall die first!"

Offline Squirrelloid

• Honor Guard
  • Only in darkness, light
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:55:11 PM »
For Dark Eldar... they don't seem that dark.  I'd do an off white, though, to go along w/the blue.  Maybe a 5/1 mix of white/blue just to slightly tint the white more toward the blue spectrum, or use Bleached bone for a cream/off-white.  Instead of a blue wash... I found a trick that works well [if you want a picture, ask] mix Necron Abyss w/just enough Mithril to get that Metallic look.

Not dark eldar, dark elves.  (There's a reason I originally posted this on the fantasy boards...). 

And I'm not going for a dark look, I'm going for an ice wastes look.  Besides, Druchii aren't the bad guys, that's just the propaganda of those traitors currently usurping our rightful place in Ulthuan!
The ignorant shall fall to the squirrels - Chip 4:2

Unusual SM armies

Angband Code:
S WI(x) !Xok ht->ho !C P88 DL:5000' A++ R+++ Sp+ w: mjolnir or wrestling
S(ToME) W H- D+ !c f- PV+ !s d !P M+
C-- S+ I- So- B- ac !GHB SQ RQ++ V- F: multipage inventory

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:34:54 PM »
Besides, Druchii aren't the bad guys, that's just the propaganda of those traitors currently usurping our rightful place in Ulthuan!

Hence the inverted commas around evil.  ;)

Offline Aislinn

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »
still, it's the same concept just fantasy...

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:14:25 PM »
Not really.

The Druchii and the True Kin are only really close in that they are both 'dark elves'. Druchii society is very regimented and orderly, with strict hierarchy and behavioural codes. They also follow a singe ruler, the Witch King. That's a stark contrast to the anarchic lifestyle and fractured allegiances of the True Kin. It's true that both favour underhanded means of advancement, but there are certain rules to it. It's seen as taboo for a Druchii to kill his own family, for example.

Where the True Kin fear Slaanesh, and strive frantically to extend their lifespan to delay falling into the clutches of She Who Thirsts, there are some Druchii who actively worship her. Indeed, the Cult of Slaanesh counts many nobles amongst their fold, including Morathi herself.

They do both love torturing and enslaving folk though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:15:28 PM by Khemri. »

Offline scottdsp748

• My Coolminiornot.com Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
I think that color scheme could be pulled off, however I'd say keep the armor on the darker side of blued.  I'm envisioning boltgun metal+black highlighted through pure boltgun with a fine edge of chainmail.  If you want an even blue tone over top, add some future floor wax or glaze medium to your ink along with water so it coats evenly.

Offline Aislinn

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »
I say if you want Blue armour: go with Necron Abyss and SIlver because it'll just look like blue w/metal flecks.

Offline scottdsp748

• My Coolminiornot.com Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
The amount of pigment in the foundation paints will likely overwhelm the metallic effect, a glaze or even pure ink, would not as it is naturally transparent.

Offline Aislinn

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
I actually used it as a blue ink on various...aka the DR exarch on the painting forum, and I used the mix I suggested on a HE D Prince sword... and I say it looks pretty sweet.  You just have to water it down for ink and the metal idea works too.
  If you want pics I can add them?