News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 0th Anomien Guard  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
0th Anomien Guard
« on: May 24, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »
A sudden flash of inspiration hit while listening to 'Colony'.

Homeplanet:

The 0th Anomien Guard are raised from an incredibly harsh world, wracked by ion storms, drenched in acidic rain and bathed in radiation. The planet is near-inhospitable, a few habitable bubbles terraformed in the past few decades.           
Daytime is irregular,the nights are filled with a beauty born of the void and terrible wheeling stars. The landmasses consist of incredible karstic landscape, mountains burnt to needles by burning rain.

The people are the last survivors of some cataclysm. A single decimated company returns to Anomie-1 from the latest war, now a dead orb, scoured bare by Exterminatus.
A Genestealer cult was suspected.

The survivors on the ship were pointed to the nameless rock they now inhabit, the original 300 now swollen by thousands of non-borns, artificial humans with false memories of one of 3 childhoods. Ask them to describe their mother, they all say the same thing...
They have been tampered with, soulless. They are needed to terraform the planet.

Organisation:
The 0th Anomien Guard consist mostly of Heavy Infantry, immovable, hard-hitting and uncaring. Non-borns are conscripted, given some vague sense of duty and used to draw fire. Biological machines; 'The most expendable die first'.

The few humans left form Veteran squads or hold officer positions, nearly soulless themselves, though too valuable to die.

Commissars are a heavy, oppressive presence. 'Incentives' are need to force them to fight.
They are led by Lieutenant Colonel Mono and Major Null.

Doctrines:

-Conscripts-
Masses of limited non-borns.

-Grenadiers-
Modified, conditioned non-borns. Heavily armed and armoured.

-Carpace Armour-
Represents high technology base and the need to protect remaining humans.

-Chem-Inhalers-
To represent the conditioning and apathy. There are no standards left.

-Independant Commissars-
The heavy hand of the Imperium, pushing them forcibly onwards.

They have attracted Inquisitorial attention for dubious practices, abuses against machine spirits for the storing of souls, and the wrath of the Ordos Xenos for using Eldar technology for piloting war walkers. The planet is home to a suspicious amount of psychic blanks and a Culexus temple has been established on the planet to exploit this.

The planet has been colonised for 20 years, Non-borns live accelerated lifespans, have artificial memories to placate them while the Grenadiers have been modified and conditioned since their unnatural conception. They gestate for 13 months and emerge aged 8. If they survive the radiation, manufacturing defects or forced conscription they will die aged 30. The population lives in shelters during times of particularly lethal radiation and the human population currently stands at 258 out of the original 300.

-Moved this from the IG boards-
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
Re: 0th Anomien Guard
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:28:15 PM »
These guys going to their own demise, or do they actually stand a chance?

it seems as if one major thing happens everyone in this place is dead, though I like the look of an apocalytpic place.

Chem inhalers make sense

carapace because they cant always afford to replace everyone, it might even yield them protection.

Conscripts of modded humans, this is definately nice, though this would so be like chaos to me :)

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
It's pretty much end times, they are focused solely on survival in the now.
Their priority is to terraform the planet so they can live and repopulate, but to do that the Anomiens need masses of non-borns, which means that they are viable for Imperial Army tithes. Anomiens consider non-borns to be not human, but the Imperium argues otherwise.
Thus, they must fight!

Good or evil are not concerns for them, they play the Devil not God, and the ends always justify the means here.

These guys going to their own demise, or do they actually stand a chance?
It's not a concern, they don't bother worrying about whether the enemy is better, they fight to the best of their ability.

They're all Nihilsts, divine nihilists at that, which explains the Chem-inhalers rules. Their morale is unmodified and don't see the value in running if they take casualties, they won't be able to utilise heavy weapons. Non-borns, the grenadiers and conscripts, can't take the doctrines which actually fits in with fluff, so it's a win-win situation.

I'm writing up some fiction on an Indi-Commisar attached to the non-born conscript squad, basically him going of of his mind because of a Culexus assassin and the guilt of watching them all die. He's beginning to understand the futility of it all, of morality and honour.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback, the fiction boards always seem a little dead.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 08:56:10 PM »
Oh I know this kind of Guard, with nothing to hold them back I've no doubts these guys will become potent soldiers on the battlefield.

Your history might need more details though, you can't just say "A Genestealer Cult is suspected" and leave it at that. What's the Genestealer Cult to do with the Guard? What's the evidence? What's the effects of it's presence? From what I can read it was the reason why the first planet that devastated by Exterminatus, but this conflicts with the earlier reason mentioned: "last survivors of some cataclysm". You'll have to be more descriptive about this. Was it a war that sprang out from the Genestealer Cult?

You could also briefly mention about the non-borns, how did they come about? Clones?

This looks like a great piece of regimental background, very interesting, but some details need to be fleshed out so the readers aren't left wondering.
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:43:42 PM »
Your history might need more details though, you can't just say "A Genestealer Cult is suspected" and leave it at that. What's the Genestealer Cult to do with the Guard? What's the evidence? What's the effects of it's presence? From what I can read it was the reason why the first planet that devastated by Exterminatus, but this conflicts with the earlier reason mentioned: "last survivors of some cataclysm". You'll have to be more descriptive about this. Was it a war that sprang out from the Genestealer Cult?

You could also briefly mention about the non-borns, how did they come about? Clones?

This looks like a great piece of regimental background, very interesting, but some details need to be fleshed out so the readers aren't left wondering.
I'll drop the genestealer cult and replace it with Chaos, fits in better with the fluff and for a story I'm planning out. The planet is deemed infested with Chaos through the free will of the people (Libertarianism turned Anarchy turned Chaos undivided) and a full scale war is briefly fought before the planet is declared beyond hope and torpedoed to a lifeless orb. The 0th Anomien Guard are the battered saviours of a decimated regiment, The Nihil Rifles, returning home to find it gone after 3 months in the warp due to time differences.

They set up shop on the death world pointed out to them, punishment for their sins.

Clones? Not sure how exactly they came about, but they are cloned from the genetic material of 10 people, all the non-borns have one of those 10 names.
Lol.

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »
There is mandatory procreation for the soldiers, especially women. Anyone who is single and fertile is pared off by rote and inseminated at the calculated peak of ovulation. Couples are free to do as they please for the rest of the time. Men and women may not smoke, expose themselves intentionally to radiation, use contraception or wear tight underwear in the case of men.

Women are given military honours for the amount of children they give birth to, and any woman who becomes pregnant is withdrawn from frontline service, a reward and incentive.
Any 'excess' sperm produced *cough*, will not be wasted, it must go in sanctioned cups. It is then frozen to preserve bloodlines and families if the male is killed in the future. There are posters up around the base, heavily absurd things like 'Are you wasting the seed of Empires?' a bin full of used tissues with a red 'X' on it, a cup held by a smiling soldier with a tick through it. 'Report your squad members if you suspect them of excessive masturbation'.

I've a whole compendium of stuff I'm writing up now:

Mono's story: 'As It Should Be.'- A Nihil Rifles tale.

Roy's story: 'At Home, He Is A Commissar'.-A Nihil Rifles tale.

The Prisoner's story: 'Clean'. An Anomien soldier awaiting mind scrub in the early days of unwitting heresy.

The Soldier's story : 'The Trooper.' How the Anomiens lost balance and fell, then the results of that.

The Woman's story: 'Paralysed'. A now infertile veteran deals with her effective redundancy to society, badly.

I've got 3 weeks of exam supervision, alone and isolated while other make their future happen. A perfect situation for writing this fluff, you'll agree.
Lol.

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »
Indeed.

However, I find this new bit of fluff you've written to be a bit... incoherent to the grimness of the background of the 0th. "excessive masturbation"? "couples free to do as they please?" Might want to re-think this bit.

Other than that, the stories that you've planned sound promising, looking forward to those.

Astra what now?

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2007, 06:23:20 PM »
You have to remember they're young people living on the edge of insanity, with nothing to do but sit around and wait for the next attack. It needs some kind of lightness, something that people can relate to. Oh, and I promise it will never descend into a poorly written erotic
fanfic, I've seen horrible, horrible things involving a space marine, and ork warboss and said squad being broken.....*shudder*.

I actually wrote 'Clean' last night at about 3 in the morning, with 'Disorder' on repeat.
It's a bit special, but I haven't had the time to put it up on the site. Damn all that paper business to hell.

Do people expect massive battles? Because all the stories are somewhat existentialist and they deal with the aftermath of things, a record of a state of mind and a specific place. It's also pretty oblique, instead of servitor I say things like 'Dead Eyes was a Killing Machine. Empty marionettes dancing on fibre optic strings. The dance of death.' While 'servitor' is evocative to a 40k player, the details give it a fantastic atmosphere.

My question is: Do people expect 40k fiction to be explicit and direct or more subtle and atmospheric?

Oh, and thanks for your support. ;D
Lol.

Offline Talon Undecided

• Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
It doesn't matter. You should pick something that suitys your style and what you're comfortable of writing, for instance I had some trouble with the romance bit in Loss: An Avian Regiments Tale (even now I still think it's cheesy), but I don't have the same trouble with lingo thrown about between the squad members or writing the battle scenes.

In the end it's up to you.  ;)

Astra what now?