News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The whole "nerd" thing...  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Tango Down

Re: The whole "nerd" thing...
« Reply #100 on: December 1, 2007, 01:37:55 AM »
Honestly, I've never really encountered anyone in real life call this hobby a nerdy or geeky thing, and my friends are pretty diverse as far as hobbies and pastimes go. It doesn't bother me if there are people who find this type of activity geeky/nerdy, as it won't affect us. From what I have seen, table top players have far too much integrity to let something as petty as being called a geek or a nerd keep them from doing what they do, or second guessing themself as the type of person he or she is from the basis of their favourite hobby.

Offline CheeEEEse

• roar?
« Reply #101 on: December 1, 2007, 03:15:25 AM »
Interesting topic, I'd be curious to see some ages to correlate with some of the posts here.  I really feel that this is a highschool type of topic and that, for me at least, this hasn't mattered for a long time.  I'm 28 and the last time I worried about what someone else thinks of what I do to enjoy myself during my freetime was long long ago.

Unless someone is paying me for my time, their opinion of what I do with it is completely irrelevant.

Now, from a personal perspective, I am a little bit proud that for the most part my hobbies are "nerdy".  I'm glad that I'm not some cookie cutter Joe Blow.  I don't want to be random_Person_20011 88228419741.

Lastly, there's a distinction that I think should be made here.  I am a person that knows full well the stereotypes that are associated with nerds.  I don't smell bad, I don't dress funny, I talk like a normal person, and I have interests outside of the nerdy spectrum.  Those that are either too far into the abyss, or just don't have the social awareness to realize there is an abyss are the ones that perpetuate the stereotype.

Offline cheeze

« Reply #102 on: December 2, 2007, 03:39:36 PM »
i think its kinda nerdy
it depends on how much you get into it
like if you "fall in love with it" or "dont have a life outside of the game"
i have both and all my mates take the piss out of me for it.

Offline Vic

• Warrior
  • Don't Take Life Seriously, Its Not Permanent.
« Reply #103 on: December 2, 2007, 03:51:26 PM »
Interesting topic, I'd be curious to see some ages to correlate with some of the posts here.  I really feel that this is a highschool type of topic and that, for me at least, this hasn't mattered for a long time.  I'm 28 and the last time I worried about what someone else thinks of what I do to enjoy myself during my freetime was long long ago.

Unless someone is paying me for my time, their opinion of what I do with it is completely irrelevant.

Now, from a personal perspective, I am a little bit proud that for the most part my hobbies are "nerdy".  I'm glad that I'm not some cookie cutter Joe Blow.  I don't want to be random_Person_20011 88228419741.

Lastly, there's a distinction that I think should be made here.  I am a person that knows full well the stereotypes that are associated with nerds.  I don't smell bad, I don't dress funny, I talk like a normal person, and I have interests outside of the nerdy spectrum.  Those that are either too far into the abyss, or just don't have the social awareness to realize there is an abyss are the ones that perpetuate the stereotype.

100% correct, "nerd" is correlated with immature things that happen in high-school, when people my age worry about this sort of stuff.
Frankly, I don't think it matters AT ALL as soon as you graduate. And if you truly love the hobby, it won't matter ever, because if it's something you truly love to do, well, ROCK ON.

Change The World