News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Frequency of new rules?  (Read 410 times)

Offline Gotchaye

Frequency of new rules?
« on: May 7, 2005, 12:41:12 PM »
Hello, my roommate and I are thinking of getting into this game, and I have my eye on eldar in particular, but I have a concern or two.

I know that 4th edition rules came out only recently, so that's a pretty safe purchase, but what about the various codices?  I mean, if I buy an eldar codex today, am I going to have to buy a new one tomorrow?  Ideally, I'd like a list of the various official periodic publications, a last release date for all of them, and a projected new release date (if any).  Thanks!

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
Re: Frequency of new rules?
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2005, 12:47:53 PM »
Welcome to 40KO!

Codex Eldar is one of the oldest codices currently in use, and scheduled to be replace in the not so distant future. "Not so distant" means something like mid-2006 though.

Generally codices and other rule publications make up only a fraction of the cost of the hobby, the miniatures are far more expensive.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #2 on: May 7, 2005, 01:03:17 PM »
Welcome to 40K Online! ;) (As well...)

Yes, the Codex Eldar is similar to the Codex Orks as they just never for quite a long time. I don't know when the NEW codex for these two races will come out, but surely in the future... You will have to buy a new codex at some point. However, it is not likely to happen for about 1 or 2 years I think...

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Warpseer

• The best ammunition is information
    • Warpseer's Nexus
« Reply #3 on: May 7, 2005, 01:17:35 PM »
1-2 years seems right for most codices. However, you never know- the best thing is to look at GW website for any announcements so you know before you buy. GL with starting your army.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #4 on: May 7, 2005, 01:41:34 PM »
Welcome to 40konline!
Also, any older rules will be supplemented with updated errata and FAQs as the game progresses, until it is time to release the "new" codex. As Tau was late out in 3rd ed they will not see a new codex for a good many years, but they will still be updated with stuff (getting new units and things) via Forgeworld and White Dwarf.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.