News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Real-scale Bolter  (Read 9255 times)

Offline Snike

• ...I personally prefer the term "beyond faith".
Real-scale Bolter
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:16:02 PM »
I'm going to build a plastic/cardboard bolter for my Renegade costume for a con that's arranged next fall. So I ask shortly: does anybody have any clue on how big should a Bolter be in real life and does anybody have some sorta templates for one?
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

CSM - Nurgle - The Dead Company of Morgion - 4900+ points and growing
Nids - Hive Fleet Thanatos - 2100 points and growing (reaaally slowly)
Coming maybe someday: Orks - Da Black Jawz

Check this out! :D

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
Re: Real-scale Bolter
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 03:26:31 PM »
It kind of depends on what kind of bolter you want, some of them are a little bit bigger or smaller than other bolters depending on what pattern it is. But you could try guessing it by calculating the scale models are made on. A marine is supposed to be about 6ft, divide this by the actual size of a marine model. Next you simply multiply this number with the size of a model bolter and the result would be something like how big a real bolter would be like.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Chosen40k

• Owned
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:40:16 PM »
You could try looking at this.
On the topic of 40k vs. any other SciFi universe:

Quote from: Albatross_4Sale
the moral of the story, don't beslubber with warhammer 40k its just too overpowered and it is no fun to fight with.
Dawn of War II Unit Voices
Dawn of War II Community

Offline Volo

• Pada-mod Learner / Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »
It kind of depends on what kind of bolter you want, some of them are a little bit bigger or smaller than other bolters depending on what pattern it is. But you could try guessing it by calculating the scale models are made on. A marine is supposed to be about 6ft, divide this by the actual size of a marine model. Next you simply multiply this number with the size of a model bolter and the result would be something like how big a real bolter would be like.

I was under the impression that marines were closer to 7-8ft.
Eldar ~6000pts
Space Wolves- Black Claw Company, 6,000pts
Saim Hann- ~2000pts and slowly converting over my vanilla Eldar army.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:47:12 PM »
well, the bolters in Chosen's linky look very fake, though the second place guy looks like the perfect image of a space marine. A bolter is .75 cal. the largest personal firearm ammo nowadays is .50 cal in pistols, followed by probably 7.62mm rifles. 75 cal is three quarters of an inch, so the gun would have to be quite large. This guy seems to have done a pretty good job http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Props/BolterPreRefinish.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Props/MadProps.htm&h=960&w=1280&sz=493&hl=en&start=26&tbnid=nvN4LLKnqeT8nM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbolter%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:27:41 AM »
I held the combi bolter while at the event - it's still pretty big...Imagine trying to take that home on the plane...lol

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:14:51 AM »
well, the bolters in Chosen's linky look very fake, though the second place guy looks like the perfect image of a space marine. A bolter is .75 cal. the largest personal firearm ammo nowadays is .50 cal in pistols, followed by probably 7.62mm rifles. 75 cal is three quarters of an inch, so the gun would have to be quite large. This guy seems to have done a pretty good job http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Props/BolterPreRefinish.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Props/MadProps.htm&h=960&w=1280&sz=493&hl=en&start=26&tbnid=nvN4LLKnqeT8nM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbolter%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN.

Actually, there are .50cal and .45 cal rifles, both of which are larger than 7.62mm, in fact 7.62mm is about the same caliber as .22, just with more powder behind it..

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:45:43 AM »
The 5.56mm (.223) is alot closer to a .22 than the 7.62mm is....I always thought 7.62mm was closer to .30 caliber.

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Snike

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses, guys! Please discuss the caliber stuff on some other topic, knowing the caliber of a bolter isn't my problem, and doesn't actually help me...  :) The pics were nice, though not 100% necessary. (I'm completely aware what a bolter looks like...  ;))
The problem is that even though I know what bolter looks like I would greatly benefit from some sort of templates or plans for one...
you could try guessing it by calculating the scale models are made on. A marine is supposed to be about 6ft, divide this by the actual size of a marine model. Next you simply multiply this number with the size of a model bolter and the result would be something like how big a real bolter would be
...and the 40k bolters, Space Marines and other stuff aren't in 100% accurate scale and there are different sizes of Marine models even in 40K scale Marines alone. And, for example, comparing the bolters on Inquisitor scale and Epic scale models makes the bolter completely different sizes. And no-one is 100% sure on how tall a Space Marine would actually be and even if somebody is, somebody else says something else, just like this:
A marine is supposed to be about 6ft <|> I was under the impression that marines were closer to 7-8ft.
I'm pretty sure I can get the actual scale comparing Inquisitor and 40K models but it would still be a lot easier if somebody had actual experience on building/having/seeing a real-life-scale bolter in real life or having some sort of plans or templates for one.

The link posted by Two Blades as One had a really nice bolter (though the barrel is too small IMO).
some of them are a little bit bigger or smaller than other bolters depending on what pattern it is.
Got no idea on patterns but they don't matter that much as long as the bolter itself looks cool...  ;D

Thanks, everyone, I'm still eager to get more information.   ;D
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 01:22:37 PM »
Knowing the caliber might help make your barrel look a little more realistic....

Lazarus.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »

Actually, there are .50cal and .45 cal rifles, both of which are larger than 7.62mm, in fact 7.62mm is about the same caliber as .22, just with more powder behind it..
I said personal firearms, i don't really see people walking down the street with Bren .50's or Barret Sniper rifles all that often. 5.56=.228 cal, 7.62=.303 cal.

Lazarus is right, the calibre is needed to be known to make a correctly sized gun. The bigger the bullet, the bigger the gun.
A space marine is 7-8 feet tall, it says in Codex: Space Marines and the BBB and the BGB.

As for templates... that seems pretty hard... i'll try to find something but im not hopefull. :-\
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline in_jeopardy

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 04:49:15 PM »
Al you need to do is make an ACCURATE scale drawing of the bolter. I'm talking, go and find one in your bitz box, and measure the hell out of it, take it all down, double check all of it. Then scale the sizes up using the proper ratio (described above by various people). You'll then need to make decisions about how you'd actually form it from card / whatever.

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
sorry to go off topic, but..lazarus,  do you happen to by chance know what the winning lists ( the necron player in particular) was composed of?

and more on topic, doesn't GW events and tournaments often times have those huge space marines? i would guess as large as those..
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 04:40:16 AM »
Clostest weapons system to a boltgun is the OICW weapons system - the XM29 which had an assualt rifle but also fired 20mm airsbrust greandes. Look their for inspiration/rough dimensions.
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 08:11:00 AM »
Clostest weapons system to a boltgun is the OICW weapons system - the XM29 which had an assualt rifle but also fired 20mm airsbrust greandes. Look their for inspiration/rough dimensions.

Ya, but the XM29 desn't exactly resemble a bolter. Size wise i guess but the shape is way off.

Offline ArchonCryx

• Dracon Author of long replies
  • Ancient
  • Dracon: Kabal of the Bloodied Claw of Despair
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 08:32:22 AM »
"I said personal firearms, i don't really see people walking down the street with Bren .50's or Barret Sniper rifles all that often. 5.56=.228 cal, 7.62=.303 cal"

Lol, but walking down the street with a 22 or a magnum pistol or what have you is normal? I think I'm glad I don't live on your street! lol ;)

Im sure there are templates for building a Bolter somewhere, enough people have built them or tried. I would have thought it's not that much more difficult to start from a photo like the one posted with Imp Armour book though.
"As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines   ;)

Lords of Terra (Open) +High Lords (invitational)- Sydney July 24-25 2012, 1750pts, check lordsofterra.com

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:23 AM »
Size wise yes, ammunition concept yes...

So its the closest real world weapon to a boltgun...
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Snike

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 10:41:28 AM »
Knowing the caliber might help make your barrel look a little more realistic...
I'ts not that important, I just make the barrel big enough to be as close as possible to the model one and still look cool  ;D (not like the pics of bolters in some of the links, the barrels were way small).  ;D

Im sure there are templates for building a Bolter somewhere, enough people have built them or tried. I would have thought it's not that much more difficult to start from a photo like the one posted with Imp Armour book though.
That's what I wish, too, but I didn't manage to find any...  :'( If I'd found some, I wouldn't have started this topic.  :-\ And I don't have the Imperial Armoury book, neither am I going to buy it. (I know most of the stuff there anyway, so it's just waste of money.)

Dude, I know waaaay more about Bolters than the XM29.  ;D ;D (Never heard of it...  :-\)
I'LL BE BACK SOON!

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
Some GW stores have a life-sized Space Marine standing in the store.  Does he have a bolter?
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Snike

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
Got no idea. And my local (read: the only one in Finland  ::)  :P :-\) GW doesn't have one. (Though they have a 40K-scale Battle Barge in the roof...  ;D)
I'LL BE BACK SOON!