News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000pts Grot Revalushn  (Read 1177 times)

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

1000pts Grot Revalushn
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
Time to dust of my old Grot Rebellion army, been playing long enough with my Ravenfing and Deffwing armies and now the little green critters must shed some blood in the name of the revolution. The Grot list will be upgraded into Apocalypse later on when I get the money to buy 100 more grots, 20 Kanz more and lots of other cool stuff :D

'We´z All Green' ;)

HQ
Weirdboy Grimsnik Morgob [55pts]

Troops
Gretchins [125pts];
30 Grotz, 3 Kaptinz (slavers) w/ Grot-Prod

Gretchins [125pts];
30 Grotz, 3 Kaptinz w/ Grot-Prod

Gretchins [80pts];
20 Grotz, 2 Kaptinz

Gretchins [80pts];
20 Grotz, 2 Kaptinz

Gretchins [80pts];
20 Grotz, 2 Kaptinz

Fast Attack
x2 Deffkopta w/ Buzzsaw [120pts]

2 Warbuggies w/ Rokkit Launcha [70pts]

2 Warbuggies w/ Rokkit Launcha [70pts]

Heavy Support
3 Big Gunz [60pts];
Kannonz

3 Big Gunz [60pts];
Kannonz

2 Big Gunz [75pts];
Zzap Gunz, 5 Additional Grot Krew

156 Modelz + 4 Vehicles

Grimsnik Morgob is the leader of the revolutionaries and has taken the name of a proper ork since he believes that the Gretchinz is equal to Orks. The fluff (dirty little word ain´t it? ;)) is work in progress but will be posted later. The Kaptinz keep the moral up by executing the ones that are not ready to fully embrace the concept of Da Revalushn  ;)

PS. I know that Grimsnik shouldn´t be a Weirdboy but I´ve converted and painted up a model for him already so he stays :P.
Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: 1000pts Grot Revalushn
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:39:37 PM »
What, no killa kanz? No grot riggers? My green heart bleeds! Any vehicle with riggas makes sense to include in your army; simply replace the drivers with grots!

On a more serious note, I doubt you are planning to win, but with a couple of minor changes...

This is a rare army indeed, where vertical formations may make more sense than horizontal formations, just to get the kaptins stukk in. Have you considered a battlewagon for the little green blighters?

If you included some killa kanz you'd actually be much more likely to kill somefink, and stay n your theme as well. You'd generally be outnumbering enemy units by, oh, 4:1 in every combat you fought. Their leadership at best would be almost as bad as yours!

If you like 1 weirdboy, two will be even better - this possibly allows for an extra attack, or some extra charge range, when you need it, a safe getaway when you don't, and some potentially destructive firepower.

I wish they gave grots "small targets."

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:14:38 AM »
The reason there´s no Killa Kanz is because that I can´t have as many as I would like to be secure about them reaching the target, main enemies is Tau, Necron and Tyranids and the occasional IG. The Grot Riggers would make sense but the Buggies are not worth the points since they are destined to die and hopefully have done there mission, killing enemy vehicles, otherwise they will serve as cover for the rest of the army. Have used them in creating firelanes for my Big Gunz earlier and it worked pretty good.

Rare armies is my speciality, did one of the very first Nob Bikerz list. As far as I know there was one guy before that had the idea. I´m also known for the SoB Horde list, Deffwing and soon to be the Spartan O&G army for fantasy, 300 Goblins holding their ground against the enemy ;).

The outnumbering and fear factor is what I play with, sure gretchins ain´t the best unit but try killing 160 of them while they outnumber you by 5:1 or 4:1  :D.

Do the Weirdboy powers Warpath and Waaargh actually work on gretchinz? ???. I just took him because I wanted Zzap and Frazzle, some of my opponents/friends allow me to roll a d3 on the psychic list which limits my powers but makes it 33% to burn out the little critter ;).

Me to but we can´t get everything we want  ;).

Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline Agent of Change

• Ork Boy
  • It's not how much dakka, It's who doesn't survive!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:40 AM »
Waagh wouldn't, because grotz don't Waagh, they're too weedy.  As for the warpath power if he's joined the unit i don't see why not.  I love the grot army idea, and trust me if they had halfway decent grot models available in plastic i'd probably have a grot or two hundred.

oh and by the by, you should join the Waagh!  seeing as how you are new to 40k online and play orks.
When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles.
___________________ _______________
Blood Angels: still fighting for the Imperium and not Khorne...  Really.
Da Boyz iz wierd, Da Boyz iz mad, Da Boyz iz 'ere, WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!
"Unprotected FAQing gave me Codex Herpes"

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 07:10:36 AM »
See, initially I thought the killa kans weren't that resilient in lower numbers, but facing off against a grand total of 4-6 in a 1500pt list has taught me otherwise. Of course, there was deff dredds too, but it can actually be difficult to kill them with a lot of the newer armies. An ordnance blast scattering a mere inch or two will half its strength against the kans armor because the kan itself is so small. This means that, of course, they'll want to pump lascannons into them, but even still, statistically, a guard gunline should have to hit them with 6 to get 2 that glance or pen, and of these, thre's a pretty realistic chance that the kans go marching on. Plus, you get to elect how the hits are divvied up, so you can always put vehicle destroyed results on the kan that's already damaged.

Then consider you've got the buggies on top of that, causing some mayhem. You've got the rokkits covered so you could use some cheap big shoota kanz. Also, I feel the zzap guns aren't worth it anymore, but perhaps you could convince me otherwise? How have they performed for you, now that they have to roll to hit and have lost some armor penetration dice?

Of course, you do have the deffkoptas for assault purposes and some suppressive fire.

Let me know if you get a chance to use this thing, and whether or not you already have all the models for it. I'm doing something similar with the fantasy goblins, so I feel like a battle brother or something. Plus it's cool to see the little greenskins get some love.

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 09:03:28 AM »
I´ve been a member of the Waaargh! a long time, you may remember the Da Lightning Skwadron topic when the codex just was released. That´s my work ;). I´m not new to 40kOnline but I´ve spent most of the time stalking in the shadows and reading your posts :P.

May exchange the Zzap Gunz for 2 Kanz, got the models so it´s worth a try :). Are they okey w/ the BS?, I don´t like the BS since my have never done anything good but maybe that has changed now that the Kanz have BS3.

The few times I´ve used the Zzap Gunz they have been kinda good. Once they managed to blow up a Leman Russ w/ some luck and for the low price of a dead grot and the extreme fire they attracted as punisment :D. Other times they have managed to glance and eliminated the vehicle from use under one turn and usually that is all I need.

The Koptaz are using the same tactic that my Ravenfing ´koptaz use. Fly forward with the scout move and pray that I´ll get first turn, if that happens they will charge artillery or keep Heavy Weapon Platoons busy for some turns while the rest of the army charges forward :).

I´ve got to buy about 30 more grotz and some Land Speeders (Koptaz ;D), and some of the older Grot Rebel models to make this playable but they are planned to hit the table by next month :). The smaller greenskin have always gotten my love, got a Rebel Grot gang in Gorka Morka and a Goblin army in fantasy :D.
Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline Gutstikk

• Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 09:36:25 AM »
Yes, you definitely ought to join the waaagh! then. It would be cool also, if you have it done in time, to get in a game for Agent of Change's campaign, so we can have the rebels included in the batreps.

I haven't used the Grot heavy weapons myself but I've taken a whole lot of tragic rokkit fire from killa kans with a number of my armies, and it is quite frustrating when they hit. Also, it's annoying if you only damage once each turn, as the damage inevitably all goes to one kan, while the others continue on their merry path of destruction.

Zzap guns are basically quite expensive compared to rokkits, which [excluding termies] are generally more killy almost all the time. Zzaps do have better AP, but even then, a single Dred CCW will do far mor damage in one turn than a Zzap is likely to do all game, especially once you factor in cover. Plus, the range on the Kannon is larger, and in the next edition it is rumored that the blast weapons will scatter instead of rolling to hit [as a salvo] and get full hits on all models, even those only partially covered. So, two or three blasts placed as a salvo will be awesome vs enemy horde armies, and they're also useful against tanks, and their quite inexpensive for what they can do. All reasons to consider them. If I had to, off the top of my head I'd go with a heavy support section that looked like so:
Killa Kan, rokkit
Killa Kan, Rokkit
3 Kannons

Coupled with your current fast attack that's some pretty good AT power, and adds a lot to combats [where your ridiculous numbers and some powerfist attacks may actually let you pull through, especially if the grots teleport out after a round or two!].

Again, just some thought. I'm more interested in seeing how this plays than in offering suggestions.

I look forward to some batreps once you're done!

Offline bebe

• In Canada no one hears you scream
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:05:48 AM »
I would also be interested in hearing about your results. I'm in negotiations to trade for 93 grots and wanted to use them with nine grotzooka kans and warpheads. I will fill the rest of the list up with something as I'm aiming at 1250. I want a total of just over 100 models on the table ( I just do not want to pack up and play with more! ).
Do keep us posted, please.
Big man, Pig man, Ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, Ha ha, charade you are

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
It is hard to win with Grots, but of course, that is not why we play them.  And if you DO win, wow, the Bragging Rights, the Bragging Rights.  Imagine it!

If they don't work out, you can always add them to your Ork Horde.  You really can't go wrong.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »
Why I write Waaargh instead of Waaagh is just a joke since I´m a old time Ork player, I´m a member of the Waaagh! forum if you didn´t understand my last post ;).

The Kannonz will stay, they´ve saved my ass so many time it´s really ridiculous. The look on the opponents face when my little gretchin just blew up his main tank is a sweet victory in itself :D.

The Zzap Gunz will be traded for the Kanz in a few games to test them out, should I have 2 Big Shoota Kanz or 1 Rokkit Kan and add some upgrades to other units?

All the battles will be reported to you on one condition, I want the title as Gretchin Lord ;).

Regardless if it works or not they will be played often just because it´s such a fun idea, I don´t play to win every time I play to have fun and almost all of my armies works with that motto. The Ravenfing army wins almost every time when the dice gods are on my side :P.

PS. The funny thing is that I outnumber my Necron opponent 4:1 but my Tyranid Opponent 5:1 :D.

Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline TastyPavlova

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:42:40 AM »
Haha, the basic theme of this army is good. I like the word Grot Revolution. That  makes it sound pretty funny (i'm not making fun of your general idea-just makes me laugh because the grots are revolting, which is very plausible).

I reckon this army would get creamed on a 9:10 game ratio, but most people who collect goblin armies get creamed as well. They just like gobbos. I can see that you like grots.

I like how you made up a reason for a warboss to be in the army. He believes in grot rights to. I think, personally, that he was hit on the head with smething sharp, because that is deemed blasphemy by all Orks (well, I think it should be deemed blasphemy :)).

Anyway, the army sound very interesting. If you have any pics, could you upload them? I'd love to see the little green buggers deployed or something.

I'd also love to hear a battle report. That would REALLY make me happy! 
If a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for...

Just returning to 40K, I'll be starting up again with Imperial Guard.

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
To understand the whole thing about Da Revalushn you have to have played Gorka Morka with the expansion book. Make fun of my gretchin army and thou shalt face the fury :P

I´ve got enough of the Big Stuff to handle the few tanks I´ll encounter and the massed units can handle some casualties and stick into Close Combat where they´ll stay until they are slaughtered or they break the opponent. As you may know, gretchins never runs away ;).

I first wanted Grimsnik to be a Warboss but there is simply no way I can get away with T5. Actually there was a guerilla that believed in grot rights, you may remember their leader Red Gobbo. My other Ork armies also think that it´s blapshemy but the little critters are hard to catch ;).

Got no pictures at the moment but when the army is done I´ll borrow a camera from my friend.

The BatReps will come my friends, thou shalt hear about the epic ass-kicking that the ´crons, blue gitz and bugz will recieve  :D.
Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline TastyPavlova

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 12:05:43 AM »
I cant wait to see some butt-kicking and some pics.

I remmber the red gobbo-good times...Still good times, actually! ;D

I haven't played Gorka Morka at al, but I still understand the basic drift of the army.

If a job's worth doing, it's worth dying for...

Just returning to 40K, I'll be starting up again with Imperial Guard.

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 12:59:17 PM »
There may be a match next week though I can´t take any pics since my camera in being repaired, expensive crap is what these infernal digital cameras are ;).

It´s okey times, our freedom is far from gained :P.

Ancalla face mea laganum

Offline Vincedis

• Lazerous Penguin
  • The eye of God, or the eye of terror?
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »
"grimsnik got the news he had been waiting for for a lifetime. Warboss Utharg fianlly took one too many bolter shots to the head and the mad dok had to 'rewire' his brain. Grimsnik's spy who was the mad doks orderly had switched out the warbosses metle skull plate with one of Grimsniks own design. It was really fairly simple. it had an on and off button which will turn the wearer into a vegitative state and two zappers. one zapper shocked the area of the ork brain that makes them killy and the other shocked the area that makes them walk. Later that night while the warboss was still recovering from surgery Grimsnik attached the external controls. everything looks to be in place so he hits the on button. WHOA! Utharg stood up fast and nearly flung him across the room. mental note install a seatbelt and handles. positioning himself on the back of the warbosses neck he tries the first zapper and Utharg started walking... right into a wall. Grimsnik quickly learned he could change the direction by adjusting the zapper slightly. This would take some practice but he was getting the hang of it."

take a goblin rider and put him on the back of a warboss and then have 2 joysticks poking out of the head that the grot is holding onto. PRESTO warboss statline with grot in charge. LD9? hey i would listen to the guy with a remote control powerklaw wouldn't you? If you think that its too far fetched for a grot to design the device then change the fluff out to "the mad dok in an attempt to take over the WAAGHH installed it and Grimsnik learned of the device and used it to free his compatriots" or something

the other option from a modeling standpoint would be to put the boss on a big base and just have an antenna coming out of his head with a grot standing behind him holding a remote control. in either case it shouldn't bee too difficult to model.
would you like to be, err... SEE my trophy rack?

'ard boyz tournament rules http://us.games-workshop.com/news/events/other_events/ardboys/default.htm

Dark Eldar Harly
http://www.agisn.de/html/dark_harlequins.html

bell of lost souls fan site http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/

Offline ((MiniDooMarn))

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »
Even though it´s a good idea it is a bit too silly for my taste, I can accept some humour but somehow that´s a tad too much for my liking ;).

The only way for me to field my old Warboss is if I use him as a Big Mek, can then equip him w/ 'Eavy Armour and Power Klaw or a Burna with some minor changes.
Ancalla face mea laganum