News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does anyone find this as interesting as I do? [amazing boat]  (Read 882 times)

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
Does anyone find this as interesting as I do? [amazing boat]
« on: September 13, 2005, 03:26:52 PM »
OK... I am in my 4th week of a maritime college, and in true fasion... we are taking maritime courses (I know.. trippy right?). A Prefessional Studies teacher diplayed the future of passenger liner ships... and I was speechless. These ships were comparitive to small islands with built in air stips, docks, cacinos and hotels... notice I said hotels, as in plural.

A good example of this ship is the Freedom ship, which is still in the design phase. This thing is amazing... I hope I do these pictires right...

(FRONT)

(TOP DECK)

(SIDE)

(REAR)

If the pictures die (or never work in the first place) here is the website: www.freedomship.com

This thing seems absolutely amazing. The commercial buisness that can go on this... THING, are enough to make even the fake hair of Donald Trump to stand on end. His name will probably be plastered all over it...

I hope I don't sound geeky... but this thing looks amazing. And given the fact that it would be an international ship, any single government would not bear the cost burden. Think of it as the international space staion for the sea. I get excited just thinking about this thing I hope it is built before I die.

EDIT: Rasmus should like it... it goes by Sweden. Maybe I will finally be able to see what he and other Swedens keep raving about.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 04:25:11 PM by Rasmus »
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Re: Does anyone find this as interesting as I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 03:31:48 PM »
Can anyone say "capsize"?  Seems like a LOOOOOT of money for something that won't last (comparatively) long.  I mean ... a floating block of appartments ...

Why?
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Fat Badger

• Ya djivu v karodke
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 03:32:27 PM »
Yeah I have no idea if they ever intend to build that thing or not.  I remember seeing some show on the discovery channel about that boat, about 4 years ago.  Who knows if it'll ever get built?
Hard work pays off in the long run, but lazyness pays off now!

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Why is it that when a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment, but when a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 a minute?

Offline BladeWind

• Infinity Circuit, Iconic Wizard
  • ~BW~
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 03:39:13 PM »
Yes, i remember watching a documentary on this boat.
But they never said anything about actually building it. They said that it 'should' be able to survive a hit by a tsunami etc.

To answer the question of ''Does anyone find this as interesting as I do?'' i personally don't, as i've never really been on a cruise ship or anything like that, so it doesn't really interest me.

But then again, in extremely crowed cities like those in Japan, this could be a way to reduce it!

Offline Wurzelmaniac

• MINF: Back on the Market
  • Ancient
  • Masculine In Sex
Re: Does anyone find this as interesting as I do? [amazing boat]
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 05:03:40 PM »
It's an interesting concept. I still await the 'floating city' though, like the ones on Mon Calamari.

My problem is firstly, power. That thing needs a lot of it, maneouvre in case of trouble will be impossible whatever drives it and it will need massive backup power sources. Supplies would be a problem too (logistical only though.

What it would be good for is as a test-bed for future installations in space.
Quote from: Razyus
Quote from: Salami Tadico
I could do rules, but I really just want to spam Goatse and the like somewhere without restraint or fear of reprisal.
We get it. You've got issues.

Offline chaos0xomega

• Hilary Clinton FTW!
  • Fabricator-General of being banned.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 05:19:48 PM »
Someone mentioned japan, there is something else being planned for them, called the millenium pyramid, and there is something else, just as large, that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, it is basically a HUGE pyramid shaped structure, that contains an entire city capable of supporting itself within, and would sit in tokyo bay.

Anyway, I do find this as interesting as you do. I intend to become an engineer (aerospace/ aeronautical, and perhaps dabble in the nautical stuff) and this kind of stuff fascinates me. However, in size, that is unfortunately miniscule compared to what could have come out of world war 2. Look here:
http://www.combinedops.com/Pykrete.htm
and here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

The allies intended to make an aircraft carrier out of this stuff, called the Habbakuk
that would be rougly about 6000 feet long(over a mile) and could support thousands of aircraft.
BANNED!
This user has been banned for regular breaches of Forum rules.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 05:42:34 PM »
Well speaking as a boating nut, I think it looks okay. Although something that size, you could get an OBSCENE amount of sail on it... Damn that would be cool. A 2,000 square foot mainsail... hot damn.

Looks okay, although I'd wonder what they'd do about man overboard situations.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Baconmccord

• Everybody is extremely gruntled.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 05:47:23 PM »
That thing looks so cool.  To bad it'll never be built and run successfully in my lifetime.

Have useless bits you'll never use?  I'll buy them!  PM Me!

Offline Infinite

• now i'm nothing
    • coolmini
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 06:52:27 AM »
Looks horribly ugly to me. Something with a bit more of a sense of aesthetic would be more appealing - some sweeping curves and the like. It looks like a big wedge of cheese to me.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
devils speak of the ways in which she'll manifest
angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
need to contaminate to alleviate this loneliness
I now know the depths I reach are limitless
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 07:00:35 AM »
I agree it looks kind of ugly. Though it does remind me of Monty Pythons Meaning of Life.
Maybe it would be better to build under the sea? Just in shallow areas though, to avoid too much pressure.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 08:09:32 AM by Dark Exodus »

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 08:03:14 AM »
Aside of terrifyingly disappointing my aesthethic senses (godam ugly!) It seemed easy to capsize this ship. No aerodynamic lines, no nothing. If there is a breeze, its blocky shape will take the full blow and turn it over....probably.

But it does seem interesting. People will do just anything nowadays.
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 08:11:20 AM »
its a building.... on water. erm... what more can i say?

there are all sorts of crazy designs for future innovations. my personal favourites are the city in a tower and the japanese build itself city that is completely self sufficient, using hydro electric power, a giant space frame pyramid with the city hung inside it!

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 12:19:57 PM »
The ship can survive a hurricane, because of the hundreds of engines that can steer 360 degrees, and the hurricanes don't come high enough for the ship to make it capsize, Yes I saw Discovery Channel, few days ago, they also said something about an airfield in the sea, more like a bout over 1 kilometre long and 60 metres wide, and it exists :o

Offline magikot of alaitoc

• Infinity Circuit
  • The lovable li'l pagan
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2005, 09:43:48 PM »
Someone mentioned japan, there is something else being planned for them, called the millenium pyramid, and there is something else, just as large, that I can't remember the name of. Anyway, it is basically a HUGE pyramid shaped structure, that contains an entire city capable of supporting itself within, and would sit in tokyo bay.

Ahh mega-city. It was supposed to be able to house close to 1 million people in it as well. That's been in planning for about 10 years now. I really don't think it's ever going to actually take off.

This ship looks interesting, but I don't really want to go on a cruise with the entire population of NYC all at once. I'll stick to the 10-20 floor cruise ships for my cruises.
"Your reality, Sir, is nothing but lies and baulderdash! And it pleases me to announce that I have no grasp of it what-so-ever!" ~ Baron Munchausen, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

Offline Lanfeix

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2005, 10:06:44 PM »
they been saying their going to build a boat like this for a long time.

it will surive a tsumai easy enought they dont have that much of an affect on boats. a storm on the other hand it will break in two its happens to super tankers

If YOU want to take part in the 40konline Tournament then just click on this banner